Solo rabbit lamping

Houseplant

The downward angle is certainly a bonus, especially with rimfire but I shoot at night so fieldcraft doesn't come into it. Different strokes for different folks doesn't even come into it.

It's a question of application to suit the situation. There's no doubt that a bipod will outshoot a set of quad sticks but the quad sticks will outshoot anything else. So the bipod is the tool to use during the day when ambushing a warren but your field of fire to the left and right is compromised to say nothing about laying on wet/muddy ground etc. When not ambushing ie, mobile, standing with quad sticks enables me to quickly scan and shoot. If possible I like to place myself equidistant between two burrows/warrens. I can then shoot two sometimes three before they scarper. I can then turn 360 and have a go at the other one behind me.

7 minutes ago, Dekers said:

????????????????

News to me!

Not gonna even be goaded by that ****.

Dekers, we all know you're the best in the world at whatever it is you do and we all know (sigh) that you own every gun for every situation. One would have thought there was enough knowledge in you for some praise and instruction for those that need it but no. Never. Just pick away Dekers. I used to think your posts worth reading but you dilute that with every post.

On 03/04/2018 at 22:27, Houseplant said:

It's been a while since I last posted...

Rabbit shooting continues to be good, but haven't quite got a "system" sorted yet. I'm shooting by myself, on foot in the hours of darkness. My torch is scope mounted, and I use full length shooting sticks. I shoot from standing because the ground is undulating and the grass can be long, so getting a shot from the ground often isn't possible.  

Since the torch is scope mounted, I'm walking with the rifle held more or less parallel to the ground in my right hand, using the torch light to find rabbits. My shooting sticks are held in my left hand, the issues are:

1) It gets pretty hard holding the rifle like that for prolonged periods of time.

2) Quite often when I see a rabbit, by the time I have deployed the shooting sticks and put the rifle on it, the rabbit does a runner.  

Any suggestions that don't include HTFU? (I could get that from a NZ hunting forum!)

hello, did you find a solution, another torch maybe, i do not do a lot of rabbit shooting but i use home made sticks and 2 red led torches, 1 for rifle 1 for spotting, the spotter is the TR 38 from L/L, the rifle torch is the T 38, once i spot the rabbit about 100/150/ yard switch off and get within 50 yard, 22 L/R , after dark most,

3 hours ago, toxo said:

Not gonna even be goaded by that ****.

Dekers, we all know you're the best in the world at whatever it is you do and we all know (sigh) that you own every gun for every situation. One would have thought there was enough knowledge in you for some praise and instruction for those that need it but no. Never. Just pick away Dekers. I used to think your posts worth reading but you dilute that with every post.

That is a rather sad response, but in fairness I have only just noticed .234deer is a person, I thought you were making a general comment about .243 and deer.

Perhaps it would have been better for you to explain rather than launching into a rather daft tirade!

And yep, I have a guns/ammo for every situation (I have come across so far), its my business, you would think it a bit odd if you called a plumber to work for you and he didn't have half the tools he needed, and not quite the best in the world, but far closer to it than most here! :D

Edited by Dekers

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

That is a rather sad response, but in fairness I have only just noticed .234deer is a person, I thought you were making a general comment about .243 and deer.

Perhaps it would have been better for you to explain rather than launching into a rather daft tirade!

And yep, I have a guns/ammo for every situation (I have come across so far), its my business, you would think it a bit odd if you called a plumber to work for you and he didn't have half the tools he needed, and not quite the best in the world, but far closer to it than most here! :D

Leaving aside how good (or not) you are at whatever, had you read the post properly perhaps you wouldn't have posted the way you did and invited my rather daft tirade.

What gets my goat on these forums time and again is if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, why post at all???

Edited by toxo

47 minutes ago, toxo said:

Leaving aside how good (or not) you are at whatever, had you read the post properly perhaps you wouldn't have posted the way you did and invited my rather daft tirade.

What gets my goat on these forums time and again is if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, why post at all???

See, I hold my hand up when I got it wrong, others just try to divert attention from their shortcomings!

Columbia 2-1 England, I hope I'm wrong about that to, care to throw in your expert opinion!!

Edited by Dekers