pigs in the trough

peck

Most places I have worked have subsided restaurants. My better half works for a company who have a semi mandatory fortnightly free dinner for the office staff with booze and subsidised taxis home. When in very time pressured work have I often had departments who will bring food more or less to us, and again in less pressured work if they want us talking to other departments they make it happen with lunches.

In theory this reduces breaks and improves the amount of unpaid work we do, (most of the staff are paid by the hour but do a lot for free). In the more professional salaried places I have seen it done it is allegedly to encourage mixing, cross pollination of ideas, and problem solving between teams (and supposedly it is far more cost effective than other ways of doing this). As such I am wholy in favour of the politicians being encouraged to sit down and eat/drink and try to collaborate to run the country as well as possible. The degree to which the food has to be appealing needs to reflect how desperate MPs may be to get on the train home instead or nip out for a sandwich.

Where work is essentially algorithm based I agree this would be excessive, but this is supposedly higher level problem solving work which in my experience is not managed significantly differently in the private sector which we presumably can use as a marker of cost efficiency. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2018 at 19:59, nobbyathome said:

I do not work there or have any real interest in politics but to me why shouldn't mps get subsidised meals  they get elected by us they get a wage and part of the wage is expenses  subsidised meals and health benefits  we all knock mps but would you really want to be one ?  if you want there wages and benefits then go and get there job don't just sit on the side whinging

I agree. 

A lot of jealous people about. 

On 4/4/2018 at 14:18, Jaymo said:

Many many institutions and Companies all have subsidised Canteens- why should this be any different when your local Council, hospital and school have theirs subsidised.

Seems to me there is a real blinkered approach towards our Politicians, I take it you agree to be Governed as you did vote didn’t you? And yet you despise the benefits that those receive.

Have you eaten  school, hospital meals lately! They earn enough to pay for their food in full!

On 4/4/2018 at 17:30, panoma1 said:

Because companies and other money making institutions etc pay for such things out of profit....politicians make no profit so pay for their personal perks out of the public purse!....whilst public services are deprived of funding!

In local Government, as far as I'm aware, subsidised food/drink etc in the town hall is only available to politicians......not employees or officers of the council!....our elected representatives eat and drink on the cheap...........whilst they cut services to a public they are elected to represent!

Correct!

On 4/4/2018 at 18:40, oowee said:

That wont work they often work all day and most of the night despite what you read.

Yeah, right! and also have 4 months holidays a year! And many only turn up for the odd debate, or PMQ,s....overpaid, and underworked!

On 4/4/2018 at 19:09, oowee said:

Yes but (:)) they often work far more than any idea or measure of standard hours. I have worked with many and it's not unusual for them to do a 12 hour day every day of the week. They don't get paid for that. 

I worked with Tony Benn, I have never seen anyone work such long hours.

and 4 months holidays a year! And massive expenses...subsidised travel, jollies abroad.....  my heart bleeds for them!

On 4/4/2018 at 19:59, nobbyathome said:

I do not work there or have any real interest in politics but to me why shouldn't mps get subsidised meals  they get elected by us they get a wage and part of the wage is expenses  subsidised meals and health benefits  we all knock mps but would you really want to be one ?  if you want there wages and benefits then go and get there job don't just sit on the side whinging

and it,s that easy to get their job? Be real! 

On 4/5/2018 at 07:30, Mr gen said:

MP's are the same as any animal to get the very best out you have to put the very best in. 

it works very well 

In their case, it,s get the best food in, and garbage comes out!

On 4/5/2018 at 19:07, Wb123 said:

Most places I have worked have subsided restaurants. My better half works for a company who have a semi mandatory fortnightly free dinner for the office staff with booze and subsidised taxis home. When in very time pressured work have I often had departments who will bring food more or less to us, and again in less pressured work if they want us talking to other departments they make it happen with lunches.

In theory this reduces breaks and improves the amount of unpaid work we do, (most of the staff are paid by the hour but do a lot for free). In the more professional salaried places I have seen it done it is allegedly to encourage mixing, cross pollination of ideas, and problem solving between teams (and supposedly it is far more cost effective than other ways of doing this). As such I am wholy in favour of the politicians being encouraged to sit down and eat/drink and try to collaborate to run the country as well as possible. The degree to which the food has to be appealing needs to reflect how desperate MPs may be to get on the train home instead or nip out for a sandwich.

Where work is essentially algorithm based I agree this would be excessive, but this is supposedly higher level problem solving work which in my experience is not managed significantly differently in the private sector which we presumably can use as a marker of cost efficiency. 

You are in a tiny minority!

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

So do Consultants, or would you like it to be ‘means’ tested!

Consultants at our NHS hospital have their own canteen! Along with the upper management! And it,s not the rubbish served to the workers!

On 04/04/2018 at 19:59, nobbyathome said:

I would! But you have to be prepared to sell out your personal integrity in favour of "pulling the party line" before you stand a chance of getting in a party, even assuming you wanted to!.........let alone gettting elected!....I would not do either!

Seems to me there is a real blinkered approach towards our Politicians, I take it you agree to be Governed as you did vote didn’t you? And yet you despise the benefits that those receive.

The candidates we vote for never declare just how deep they will put their snout into the trough, when seeking election. Voters are unaware of what MPs claim or get subsidy for.

That wont work they often work all day and most of the night despite what you read.

Not many jobs where you can use you phone, ignore what is going on or fall asleep whilst at work.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

Not many jobs where you can use you phone, ignore what is going on or fall asleep whilst at work.

I don’t know about that, you should try mine as we do all three :-)

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

In their case, it,s get the best food in, and garbage comes out!

You are in a tiny minority!

Consultants at our NHS hospital have their own canteen! Along with the upper management! And it,s not the rubbish served to the workers!

That’s funny, three Hospitals of which friends are Consultants at all have shared dining facilities 

7 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I would! But you have to be prepared to sell out your personal integrity in favour of "pulling the party line" before you stand a chance of getting in a party, even assuming you wanted to!.........let alone gettting elected!....I would not do either!

nor would I that's why I don't care if they get cheap dinners they are welcome to whatever they can get just the same as anybody working

when i have gone for a job i have always tried to get the best deal for me moneywise and benefit wise i cant see what the difference is between an ordinary person trying to do well for himself and a mp and before anyone speaks up and sais its because the taxpayer pays there wages remember we all elected them

3 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

nor would I that's why I don't care if they get cheap dinners they are welcome to whatever they can get just the same as anybody working

when i have gone for a job i have always tried to get the best deal for me moneywise and benefit wise i cant see what the difference is between an ordinary person trying to do well for himself and a mp and before anyone speaks up and sais its because the taxpayer pays there wages remember we all elected them

Is that all being an MP is, a job ?