pigs in the trough

peck

Where do you think you would be able to get food like this at this price,  some provincial bar at the back of beyond or smack bang in the centre of london

A risotto of pea and broad bean with Golden Cross goat’s cheese costs £2.40,  splash out on a char-grilled rib-eye steak with hand-cut chips and béarnaise sauce pay £7.80.

For pudding, you can enjoy a green tea and white chocolate brûlée for £2.05 or the cheese board for £3.10.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8988751/Subsidy-for-MPs-bars-and-restaurants-rises-to-5.8m.html

Many many institutions and Companies all have subsidised Canteens- why should this be any different when your local Council, hospital and school have theirs subsidised.

Seems to me there is a real blinkered approach towards our Politicians, I take it you agree to be Governed as you did vote didn’t you? And yet you despise the benefits that those receive.

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Many many institutions and Companies all have subsidised Canteens- why should this be any different when your local Council, hospital and school have theirs subsidised.

Seems to me there is a real blinkered approach towards our Politicians, I take it you agree to be Governed as you did vote didn’t you? And yet you despise the benefits that those receive.

Yes I know ,many of them are that poor ,they wouldnt be able to afford food like that unless it was subsidised :no:

By the way Im being sarcastic.

Edited by Rewulf

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Because companies and other money making institutions etc pay for such things out of profit....politicians make no profit so pay for their personal perks out of the public purse!....whilst public services are deprived of funding!

In local Government, as far as I'm aware, subsidised food/drink etc in the town hall is only available to politicians......not employees or officers of the council!....our elected representatives eat and drink on the cheap...........whilst they cut services to a public they are elected to represent!

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

It's a balance when we are talking about public funds. I have no objection to some subsidy but not to the level of contribution made and the range and type of food made available. 

Why should we substidise there lunch and dinner is wine a good thing for them to have and then discuss the future of the country 

proberably why there always asleep 

they chose the job and the wages structure 

So all new mp should be told to bring a flask and sandwiches to work along with all the personal secretary’s and other staff 

its a very easy saving for the country shut it 

28 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Why should we substidise there lunch and dinner is wine a good thing for them to have and then discuss the future of the country 

proberably why there always asleep 

they chose the job and the wages structure 

So all new mp should be told to bring a flask and sandwiches to work along with all the personal secretary’s and other staff 

its a very easy saving for the country shut it 

That wont work they often work all day and most of the night despite what you read.

Yes but (:)) they often work far more than any idea or measure of standard hours. I have worked with many and it's not unusual for them to do a 12 hour day every day of the week. They don't get paid for that. 

I worked with Tony Benn, I have never seen anyone work such long hours.

Edited by oowee

I do not work there or have any real interest in politics but to me why shouldn't mps get subsidised meals  they get elected by us they get a wage and part of the wage is expenses  subsidised meals and health benefits  we all knock mps but would you really want to be one ?  if you want there wages and benefits then go and get there job don't just sit on the side whinging

7 hours ago, moose man said:

101,916 ...signed .

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Which supposedly will lead to it being considered for debate in the House of Commons!

You would hope so ..call me an old cynic but I’m not sure anything will change after the debate ...bit difficult to pass any new legislation when nobody ( or very very few ) want things to change ...

in fifty years of work I’ve never enjoyed the benefit of subsidised food , let alone alcohol , and having worked in parliament and most of the government properties over the years I have to say the bars in parliament do a roaring trade ...