Pensioner arrested after fatally stabbing burglar

DanBettin

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

My old boss was in a serious car accident which was caused by the other driver, the other driver was killed in the collision. 

The police had to arrest him and he went to trial. The police apologised to him but said as there was a death involved they had been told it had to go to court by CPS. 

He was acquitted in about 5 minutes and even the Police officers gave evidence to say that the accident was clearly caused by the other driver and it was not his fault. 

Sometimes they have to follow procedure, as they should do in such serious circumstances. 

24 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

My old boss was in a serious car accident which was caused by the other driver, the other driver was killed in the collision. 

The police had to arrest him and he went to trial. The police apologised to him but said as there was a death involved they had been told it had to go to court by CPS. 

He was acquitted in about 5 minutes and even the Police officers gave evidence to say that the accident was clearly caused by the other driver and it was not his fault. 

Sometimes they have to follow procedure, as they should do in such serious circumstances. 

How did you manage that, a duplicate post 16 minutes apart? Have you been on the Welsh whisky?

Edited by old'un

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its beginning to look like some action occured outside the house - and that the chap might have pursued one of the robbers which might account for the arrest.

Seems the stabbed robber was found in another street. Possibly a bit of a Tony Martin type of incident.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5576905/Homeowner-78-arrested-burglar-stabbed-death-break-in.html

Edited by Dave-G

49 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Its beginning to look like some action occured outside the house - and that the chap might have pursued one of the robbers which might account for the arrest.

Seems the stabbed robber was found in another street. Possibly a bit of a Tony Martin type of incident.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5576905/Homeowner-78-arrested-burglar-stabbed-death-break-in.html

The article doesn't suggest anything happened outside the house, only that the burglar was found in the street with someone (I presume the other burglar), trying to pull him into a van.

11 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

The article doesn't suggest anything happened outside the house, only that the burglar was found in the street with someone (I presume the other burglar), trying to pull him into a van.

You are correct but "its beginning to look like" doesn't mean I think it did, just that the police might considering if it did.

But given the body was found in another street, and there is a police tent erected outside a dwelling suggests the police are are checking if some of the 'self defence' may have ocurred outside the house. Until they know more it possibly removes the certainity that everything took place indoors as simple defence of the home.  

Placing that with the fact that the initial bodily harm type charge has been changed to murder leads me to think its MAYBE not cut and dried simple defence.

34 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

You are correct but "its beginning to look like" doesn't mean I think it did, just that the police might considering if it did.

But given the body was found in another street, and there is a police tent erected outside a dwelling suggests the police are are checking if some of the 'self defence' may have ocurred outside the house. Until they know more it possibly removes the certainity that everything took place indoors as simple defence of the home.  

Placing that with the fact that the initial bodily harm type charge has been changed to murder leads me to think its MAYBE not cut and dried simple defence.

This article does say that some neighbours have suggested he chased and caught the intruder. If that is the case this may well go to court.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5918750/hither-green-burglar-murder-stabbing-osborn-brooks-latest/

Latest is that Mr Osborn-Brooks has been "bailed until May pending further enquiries".

Which would appear to suggest that the police are taking the reasonable step of assuming self-defence unless there is evidence to the contrary - which a story in the Sun is not...

Edit: the article in the Sun no longer makes any mention of him chasing the alleged burglar.

Edited by CaptainBeaky
Update

18 hours ago, TriBsa said:

How can the charge be murder, I thought by definitition it needed to be premeditated?

You seem just as confused as me? 

I understand the arrest situation but question the seemingly all too obvious attempted murder scenarios that are common place now and the charge nearly always being manslaughter? Mm?

There are photos of the burglar.  I thought that he had a look about him that I've seen before, you know, you get to recognise them.  Bit of research and my suspicions were confirmed.  Shall we just say, career criminal, distraction burglaries, shoddy scam work, same name as his father.... 

Way back from 2003 and repeated over many years after that:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/home/family-of-cowboys-banged-up/861668.article

31 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Note; Rant button has been pressed...

Very dangerous road to go down - that way lies the lynch mob.

The job of the CPS is to make the call as whether or not to prosecute - "in the public interest" is one of the criteria, but not the only one.

Next time the clickerati decide that someone *should* be prosecuted, then a short step to "he *should* be found guilty". 

The system we have may not be perfect, but it does attempt to be impartial, as the law should be - the CPS, being in possession of as much of the facts as are available, will decide whether prosecution is necessary, desirable and viable. If so, a jury, also being in possession of as much of the facts as are available, with direction as needed from a legal expert (the judge), will decide guilt.

We, the public cannot at present be certain that we have all the facts. Yes, we have what is released in the media, but media companies require profit first, accuracy second.

Rant mode OFF. And breathe...

44 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Very dangerous road to go down - that way lies the lynch mob.

Should he not have the right to defend himself, his family and his property?

45 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Next time the clickerati decide that someone *should* be prosecuted, then a short step to "he *should* be found guilty". 

The petition is mostly saying what I have previously stated, that the victim (the man who was burgled and held agaisnt his will) is not responsible for his actions, the intruder is responsible for them, and calling for a change in the law to protect the householder. Now if he did actually chase the intruder and stab him then that is a different matter.

51 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

The system we have may not be perfect, but it does attempt to be impartial, as the law should be - the CPS, being in possession of as much of the facts as are available, will decide whether prosecution is necessary, desirable and viable. If so, a jury, also being in possession of as much of the facts as are available, with direction as needed from a legal expert (the judge), will decide guilt.

We, the public cannot at present be certain that we have all the facts. Yes, we have what is released in the media, but media companies require profit first, accuracy second.

I fully agree

But the main theme of the petition, is that he shouldn't have been arrested, because his actions shouldn't be against the law, nor are they of his own making. The call for the charge to be dropped, is for the murder charge to be dropped, as it's in no way was this premeditated.

I for one think the whole law on home defence, does indeed need changing so the homeowner is not held responsible if something happens to an intruder.

5 hours ago, Rem said:

Ridiculous in this country we are not allowed to defend ourselves in our homes, the yanks have so much wrong but still so much right when it comes to things like this 

You are allowed to defend yourself by law, do you think the police should just do nothing. ? There will have to be a inquest etc all things that the police need to have answers for. 

My understanding of what I read in the press is that the accused has been released on bail pending further investigation.  At this time, I'm holding back on signing anything until we see the outcome of those investigations.

The police/CPS have a duty when someone has been killed to investigate.

IF the accused is charged for reasons of defending himself, or his property - then I would sign anything against that.  IF he isn't charged, that would be good, but it does have to be investigated to decide not to charge.  IF it turns out there are other things involved - then, they will need to be revealed and understood.

I believe everyone should be able to protect themselves, their family and property, but I do understand any serious injury or death in this type of circumstance does have to be fully investigated.

Edited by JohnfromUK

55 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My understanding of what I read in the press is that the accused has been released on bail pending further investigation.  At this time, I'm holding back on signing anything until we see the outcome of those investigations.

The police/CPS have a duty when someone has been killed to investigate.

IF the accused is charged for reasons of defending himself, or his property - then I would sign anything against that.  IF he isn't charged, that would be good, but it does have to be investigated to decide not to charge.  IF it turns out there are other things involved - then, they will need to be revealed and understood.

I believe everyone should be able to protect themselves, their family and property, but I do understand any serious injury or death in this type of circumstance does have to be fully investigated.

:good: