• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, David BASC said:

Update very soon I promise

Will it be in line with the CA's position? I.e. Comply (accept the breaking of the 2016 agreement, and agree the arbitrary imposition of mandatory GP reports, to be paid for by the applicant) with the police's position of "no report, (if we don't pay!) no certificate" and try to 'agree' and standardise the charge, and how much it will cost the applicant!.....it had been agreed by all parties this was included in the 2016 agreement as a public protection measure, so why is it not paid for from the public purse?

Agree it as a 'one off' payment by the applicant for the initial GP comment and to have the GP place a marker (maybe) on an applicants medical record (this was agreed in 2016 to be free of charge to the applicant!) 

Isn't this exactly what the GP's and police have demanded? And contrary to the 2016 agreement?

And to soften the financial blow...a request to give applicants a ten year duration certificate?......Any betting on that happening?

What makes us confident that if the GP's, police or Home Office don't like any agreement, they will at some point just break it again? To ensure they don't....any agreement should not be just "an agreement" but be written into primary legislation or enacted via a statutory instrument! 

Edited by panoma1

Even if it is a lost cause BASC need to take this to court.

The way I see it is the "No GP letter = No certificate" will come if nothing is done.

Therefore an appeal won't make anything worse - at worst we end up exactly where we are right now. Even if unsuccessful then an appeal judgement would probably comment on charges for the GP letter, who should bare these, whether Dr's can make a conscious objection, and make recommendations for consistency. This would avoid the inevitable disparities and 'make-it-up-as-you-go' approach that will inevitably be adopted by forces should this just be allowed to rumble on.

It can only help matters.

Realistically it will be a struggle, if not impossible, to beat the BMA/Police; if not in the courts then in the court of public opinion. I do agree with the BASC assessment that we will end up paying for the initial Dr's input. However that doesn't mean A) we shouldn't try and B) push very very hard to make the fee a statutory charge (This should be BASCS goal IMO).   

In any negotiation you push till the other side squeals to find the line. At the moment I see no squealing from anyone so it can't be a surprise the police are pushing. A court case, even one with a remote chance of winning, draws a clear line.

Basc has already put out a request for members to contact their mp. Waste of time. I think we will see a statement from them telling us they will resist this current move robustly. Along with putting ten year certs on the table. Another waste of time. Basc are sitting on a very healthy surplus in the bank money created by the members for use in protecting those members. Maybe instead of emailing your mp email basc enmass and demand they use some of these funds to take it to court. If they are not going to use funds to protect us then they need not be in Existence anymore. The courts Really are the only option as basc and the others have no influence at the so called negotiation table. 

Edited by bostonmick

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Thanks for that Rewulf, 

Q4....will any cost they come up with be calculated on GP's pay rates..........or the office juniors, who will probably do the work?

Who knows, they will probably extract as much as they think we will put up with.

The bonus (for the police) is, a lot of people will just give up and hand in their certs and get rid of their guns , next renewal if they have to pay more.

32 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Who knows, they will probably extract as much as they think we will put up with.

The bonus (for the police) is, a lot of people will just give up and hand in their certs and get rid of their guns , next renewal if they have to pay more.

I can't see how a doctors fee every five years is going to make people give up. After all just stop paying into basc or other organisations and over five years that would be an excess of over three hundred pounds. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

I can't see how a doctors fee every five years is going to make people give up. After all just stop paying into basc or other organisations and over five years that would be an excess of over three hundred pounds. 

I agree, but the amount of people Ive spoken to when the licensing charges went up last time (slightly) grumbled about 'the expense' and 'probably wouldnt' renew.
I know it sounds daft, but some just dont use their guns that often, and this could be the straw that broke the camels back type of thing.

Maybe instead of emailing your mp email basc enmass and demand they use some of these funds to take it to court.

That's a good point, but I bet very few of the Basc membership knows what is going on, they will only find out at renewal time..

What's needed is the email addy's of all the members, notify them of this fiasco, & get every member to pressurize Basc to use the funds that they have provided for this very purpose.