• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest stevo
2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

If Lincs police have a legal case for enforcing this, what do we really expect BASC to do?

Now ..... nothing Steve, the problem is BASC have know about this for a very very long time , so the question should be what should they have Done ? They certainly could have defended us a lot more robustly from the the start ,maybe a legal ruling. Anything instead of just the taking credit for thrashing out a deal with the police,the BMA , and the GP’s , when in truth nothing was sorted , the people at the forefront ( GP’s ) were against it all from the offset , to the point a high percentage even refused to to have anything to do with from the start . It’s not as if it’s just a localised problem . This is all of us . 

instead the advice we have all be given is to just ignore everyone and hope there go away . 

1 hour ago, kaunda said:

If the G.P.sends a report about me to the Police, am I entitled to a copy ?

Of course. If it does in fact come about it concerns your personal medical history of anything relevant to your fitness to own firearms, and you will have paid for it. 

This entire matter could become so much more complicated than we can imagine if police are allowed to dictate policy. 

I really can't see a run of the mill GP being qualified to determine a patients mental health on the basis of a five or ten minute evaluation of a patient claiming to 'feeling a bit down', nor can I see a medical being of any more use than the current system. My Dad was required to have medicals as part of his job. He was signed off as fit each time and they never predicted him having a heart attack while driving. 

I'd be all for the 'constant monitoring' if it meant a license for life. I'll admit there will probably come a time when GP's visits are more frequent, but lately I get the impression it would be easier to see the Queen than a GP. :yes:

7 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

If either SACS/CA/NGO etc take a legal case on board & are SEEN to be doing something about it,

I can see their ranks swelling with new membership.

Me too,although I have been a BASC member for years,I will change (or stay if BASC do)to whichever organization challenges this robustly:whether they succeed or not.

1 hour ago, stevo said:

I wasn’t going to say owt ?? 

3 years ago i had to pay on an inverted commas with brackets...voluntary scheme .... after the phone calls and the no visit as your paper work is not with us ..i decided to give in and pay the doctor for his chit .a week later got my visit ...also the renewel took over 5 months..a lad at work never got a chit he needed a holding certificate as his licence ran out while waiting for the renewel it took some 3 months later to get his renewal ...the reason of course was the FAC section was moving its HQ and not that he never got a doctors chit....

At the end of the day guidence is guidence and if the police wish to make it safer by us providing a doctors note that we have to pay for then they will and there is little we can do about it it

And will i pay for the drs note next time my answer will be ....yes it will save me alot of time,worry and hassle for another 5 years

Am i a member of BASC yes

Am i bothered if BASC cant do anything .no as i get good insurance and a magazine

Lincolnshire you had it good

Guest stevo
1 hour ago, psycho said:

3 years ago i had to pay on an inverted commas with brackets...voluntary scheme .... after the phone calls and the no visit as your paper work is not with us ..i decided to give in and pay the doctor for his chit .a week later got my visit ...also the renewel took over 5 months..a lad at work never got a chit he needed a holding certificate as his licence ran out while waiting for the renewel it took some 3 months later to get his renewal ...the reason of course was the FAC section was moving its HQ and not that he never got a doctors chit....

At the end of the day guidence is guidence and if the police wish to make it safer by us providing a doctors note that we have to pay for then they will and there is little we can do about it it

And will i pay for the drs note next time my answer will be ....yes it will save me alot of time,worry and hassle for another 5 years

Am i bothered if BASC cant do anything .no as i get good insurance and a magazine

And good for you too , BASC will be proud of you mucker ?

2 hours ago, psycho said:

You're happy with just insurance and a **** magazine?

1 hour ago, stagboy said:

And free game fair tickets, and stalking schemes, and big discounts on cars... Just saying.

Wow!

Very interesting points from some of you.

If you are happy with what you currently get, so be it.

Unfortunately BASC make a point of selling themselves as the voice of shooting in this country and making promises to sort things out.

The do not have a good track record.

Yes I am an ex member.

10 hours ago, stagboy said:

When we talk about the Lincolnshire situation, isn't this effectively the Scottish system? It's been operating like this in Scotland for a while, hasn't it? 

Yes, from what I gather. What has been the reaction of the Scottish organisations? 

9 hours ago, psycho said:

Good for you!

But just think on and ask the question where will it all end? Not to long before we will be paying the doctor £250 plus then the licence fees will want more they already do, so that will be £300 plus so your licence will then be £550 plus ok just over £100 a year still a bargain?

oh wait but then we will need a yearly doctors examination/report after all five years is a long time so now it's £250 to the doctor  a year and £100 to the licensing department as a handling fee so now you are paying around £350 every year you have a licence.

But think how many will think twice about starting in the sport? Will dad or mum pay for their licence and their young sons/daughters?

basc say only 1% of licence fail on medical grounds why should the other 99% foot the bill?

then who is qualified or is going to to make the medical decision the doctor or the FEO? Who will get the blame if it goes wrong?

This is a public safety at large issue and as such should also be funded by the government.

their is so much wrong with this like has been said in other posts, BASC and the shooting industry, manufactures, retailers, GTA should have a fighting fund for such issues and take legal action, win or lose show some fighting spirt.

Guest cookoff013

i doubt it would be uniform across all regions. we already have NHS hotspots and quality of care.

a friend of mine damaged her back in Yorkshire area. she got put on painkillers forever, with no chance of a operation she needed. her friends drove her to Cambridge and got an operation near instantly.

how is the medical records to be interpreted? 

prescription painkillers = ?

My FAC/SGC are in the process of being renewed at the present time.

I know my Dr has had the request from the Police. My nurse has informed me that she can,t see a problem on my records, but can`t advise me as to whether there will be a charge involved, but she did say that the surgery is so strapped for cash that they may have to levy a charge, in other words subsidising other areas of the practices work that they are over spent on. This admin is not carried out by the GP but by the general staff. 

Please don`t misunderstand, I am not against paying an admin fee per say, but I would like Nation wide a proper pricing agreement as was similarly agreed previously with the BMA, GP`s and the Home Office.

A pal of mine had his "Ticket" renewed in November and has now received a £20.00 bill from his surgery which he is adamant he is not going to pay, fair enough that`s his decision, but I did mention the fact that next time he has occasion to request medical clearance from his GP it will also flag up failure to pay and they just may not do it. Bit tricky if the No medical clearance letter/no ticket option is rolled out across the country.

The shooting organisations (not just BASC) need to get a handle on this swiftly and get a court judgement, which will then be in tablets of stone.

SACS (of which I am a member) should have prepared a case long ago.

There`s a huge amount of criticism being directed against BASC from the usual BASC bashers, but it has to be said that none of the other shooting organisations have done any better. If you leave BASC, where will you go?  

I`ve just read up on what I can find online about doctor/patient confidentiality. Granted it may not be the most accurate information but it begs a number of questions. What if I do not wish my doctor to communicate with the police? I understand that there is a "greater good" over ride available to doctors but, lets assume my GP doesn`t believe I`m a dangerous nutter, what grounds at law are there for the GP to then communicate my personal information to the police?

Where will this principle end? Imagine a GP has a patient who has a mental health problem such as gambling addiction and the GP knows he is in serious debt. Should he be informing the patients wife? Should he be informing the patients bank manager?

In the US, when gun ownership comes under attack, people flood the NRA with money. In the UK, they attack the various organisations, threatening to withdraw funding. Interesting.

It seems the "pay your GP for the scan or we won't process your application" system has been a formal requirement in Scotland for a while. Does anybody know what effect it has had on certificate numbers? 

Also, can anybody enlighten us about what happens elsewhere in Europe? I know that in France you have to undertake a one day hunting test, and then you get a lifelong certificate, but with a medical test every year - which you pay for. You also have to purchase a permit to hunt (200 euros) every year. And you also have to buy insurance, by law (and judging by the lurid tales of my friend who lives there, you certainly need it...).

Edited by stagboy
typo, clarity

It has just been explained to me that one signs away ones rights to medical confidentiality when one applies for firearms certification.

I`ve got a bad feeling about this because of some of the complex underlying facts.

Meanwhile, to those of you who`ve been slagging off BASC, please tell me what the other associations have done about this.

The fact is that they`ve all kept their heads well below the parapet whilst BASC has at least done something. When this whole thing goes pear shaped the other associations will jump up and say, "We`d have done it different", blaming BASC by proxy for their own inaction. So why aren`t those other associations doing anything now?

To those BASC slaggers amongst you, sure, we all know BASC has had some serious problems, but before you jump ship, make sure that you`re not jumping out of the BASC frying pan and into the inert other associations fire. And start saving for your GP fees.