Farmers Are Up Against It With All This Rain

marsh man

It had just started to dry out nicely and then last night it came down steady here all night and water was bubbling out of the ground and running like a river down the track this afternoon.

Long forecast for next week looks better in the Midlands and East Anglia....cross fingers ..cross everything if you can !!!

Travelled Cross Country from Berwick to Bristol on 4th April returned yesterday.  Every stream or river was full and dirty on return journey, fields standing with water , tramlines like ditches. Going south around Cheltenham Spa there was extensive flooding, dont know with river its is but two inland marinas with apparent club houses were surrounded and land access under water.

Blackpowder

Its raining heavy here 12/04/18, I have never known it so wet, farms near me have mucked the fields ready for ploughing, seen one ploughed field 2 weeks ago (still in plough) not one field as been sown, cattle are still in the sheds, food is costing farmers a fortune and food stocks are running low, the weather forecast for the Midlands for the rest of the month is sunshine and showers, some heavy, don’t think there will be any spring corn sown this year, the winter corn is not looking to good (yellowing) the ground is still cold and very wet, plants are unable to draw nitrogen from the soil in these conditions.

Will it mean higher prices in the shops, more than likely.

11 hours ago, kenholland said:

I think iv'e got trench foot , and mushroom's growing out of  my head, one farmer told me he's thinking of turning his fields in to rice paddies . I wonder where that group WET WET WET got there name from ?

They saw the three words written on the pavement around a newly painted lamp post.

Potatoes were being planted yesterday and the drill was on the back of the tractor so hopefully we are over the worse with better weather forecasted over the next few days,

We are normally one of the driest areas in the u k and looking at the marshes with still plenty of water and up to now no signs of any cattle grazing , then if we are the driest, all I can say , I pity the poor souls who are in the wettest regions .

40 minutes ago, the enigma said:

It's the worst spell of weather I can remember. Our ground has been in gutters since August. The milk cows have been housed for 6 week longer than normal. Luckily we have plenty of fodder but the biggest headache is getting slurry out.

Same here, and not to mention the extra foot problems with cows being on concrete for far too long. Nature always has a way of balancing it self though and things will come good in the coming weeks, grass is growing well, and from what I can see wildlife/ birdlife is doing well despite the conditions.

On 4/10/2018 at 19:09, marsh man said:

One of our local farmers was saying on the radio , that the odd ones who were lucky enough to get there sugar beet in haven't yet seen any signs of germination due to the ground being so cold .:no:

I was always told, don't sow any beet until you can sit bare bottomed on the land!

3 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I was always told, don't sow any beet until you can sit bare bottomed on the land!

The farmers south of the county don't feel the cold , with or without cloths on :lol:

1 hour ago, aga man said:

Same here, and not to mention the extra foot problems with cows being on concrete for far too long. Nature always has a way of balancing it self though and things will come good in the coming weeks, grass is growing well, and from what I can see wildlife/ birdlife is doing well despite the conditions.

This afternoon the cattle floats were finally putting the cattle out on the grazing marshes , around two weeks later than normal , still not ideal conditions but I imagine they are running out , or ran out of silage .

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The farmers south of the county don't feel the cold , with or without cloths on

This afternoon the cattle floats were finally putting the cattle out on the grazing marshes , around two weeks later than normal , still not ideal conditions but I imagine they are running out , or ran out of silage .

Yes no doubt out of silage and possibly had to buy in over the past couple of weeks at great expense. Fingers crossed weather looking to improve next week so should be all ok:good:

Well the ploughing started today with some good days weather forecasted.

was turning over nice wet on top but quite dry under. Was half way across 11 acre field then smelt oil and then more lights on the dash then Blackpool lights.

transmission pipe gone so a good start not. And its one that I have got to take half  the tractor apart to get to.

Still the suns out tomorrow??

17 minutes ago, The gouse said:

Well the ploughing started today with some good days weather forecasted.

was turning over nice wet on top but quite dry under. Was half way across 11 acre field then smelt oil and then more lights on the dash then Blackpool lights.

transmission pipe gone so a good start not. And its one that I have got to take half  the tractor apart to get to.

Still the suns out tomorrow??

One quote which sums your past and present time  is   ,  It never rain but pours , at least you can tackle the transmission pipe without needing your coat and additional clothing on .