Fox Traps

You’re probably better off with snares and shooting at this time of year. They’ve survived being shot at, hunted, the weather and being run over so they’re a bit tricky to catch in a cage at this time of the year. My cages are catching cats, polecats, hedgehogs but so far no foxes. 

My keeper mate hasn't got a rifle so he has lots of snares set. About 200 of them. Caught about 85 last year I shot a few for him. But snares set in the right place and managed properly are very effective. Also the antis can't see them as easy to wreck them. And if they do there only a few quid to replace them. 

To be honest, my experience with fox traps (in an urban setting) is mixed, you catch the young ones but they soon wise up to the traps and you will very rarely catch an older dog fox in a trap except perhaps in the very early days when they are still more curious than wary about the trap.

Edited by Vince Green

the bigger the better. cover the floor so they dont have to walk on mesh. cover the sides and top if possible. they wont catch in a field hedgerow. they need to be set in amongst a yard where there are similar materials etc. obviously bait the area before the trap goes down. strangely enough i have caught 1 or 2 lucky ones;)