Cheap Guns vs Expensive Ones

Wingman

I have quite a nice collection of guns which includes a Perazzi MT6 and a Beretta 692 (technically my wifes but she hardly uses it) and probably like most of us a hotch potch of old and el'cheapo guns.  My Perazzi has been in the gunsmiths (again!) recently so I have been using my old Lanber sporter deluxe and my Armsan SA.  Took the Lanber out today and shot probably one of the best rounds in the last 6 months, I was hitting clays at distance that I hadn't been able to with either of my 2 "best" guns.  Same applies to the Armsan, cheap as chips but again I seem to be able to better any score that I have put in with my other guns.  Bit strange really as I paid a fair whack to have to the Perazzi professionally fitted and it feels lovely to mount and shoot but just doesn't seem to work as well for me with the scores.

I have always loved my guns as much as the sport that I use them for but I am getting to stage now when I think it makes not a jot of difference what the label is, grade of wood etc as long as they go bang and break (or kill) things!

Might just be the spring sunshine and it will all go wrong again tomorrow, but I'll be taking the Armsan out of the cabinet for tomorrows shooting!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that, I too had a Perazzi that I could not shoot well with, the guy that bought it after me could not use it,  and after 12 months he sold it too. The next buyer even had a new stock made for it and still could not use it, he no longer has it either !  I went back to Miroku (via an SO4) and now a 725.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I would love to find a cheap gun i can shoot very well with.  I like using my semi auto but couldn't better my scores than my clay gun.

I think part of the problem is I have had quite a few problems with the Perazzi so when I shoot it I tend not to have a massive amount of confidence that something else isn’t going to drop off or crack. With the cheaper guns I don’t care as their essentially worthless so probably just get on and concentrate on my shooting. 

Might be time to tuck it away at the back of cabinet for the time being. 

Edited by Wingman

Could it be that with your Perazzi or 692 you feel or expect,  you should do well because of its name and price tag, whereas with the others you’re just shooting for the fun of it.... more relaxed? 

I don’t buy guns because of any sort of preconceived idea that I MUST have this that or the other make or model in order to shoot well ( which admittedly I once did ) I just buy whatever gun I like. 

I have a Perazzi, but it’s an old model with no middle rib; a look I find extremely attractive, hence my interest in the Remington 3200. I could afford a newer version but they don’t appeal to me. I own old Winchester 101’s and a Daytona. I don’t own any model which is currently in production; the last one being a Browning 325 G3. 

There aren't many new shotguns I like the look of and I wouldn’t feel out of place with any of the guns I own, whether it be pump, auto, ou or sxs.  

It’s no good having the most expensive top of the range gun if you can’t hit anything with it. The person who does this will be more of a target of ridicule than him who turns up with a tatty old gun if no known origin but then proceeds to kill everything he points it at. 

Im sorry to hear your Perazzi keeps letting you down. 

I too own a Perazzi MT6 ( without mid rib ) and although it looks amazing with a custom stock made to my specs, from a stunning piece of Tasmanian grown walnut ...... and I enjoy shooting it, if I feel even remotely serious about posting a decent score, the Perazzi stays at home.

10 hours ago, MR. BROWN said:

I too own a Perazzi MT6 ( without mid rib ) and although it looks amazing with a custom stock made to my specs, from a stunning piece of Tasmanian grown walnut ...... and I enjoy shooting it, if I feel even remotely serious about posting a decent score, the Perazzi stays at home.

What do you use instead?

I have a number of guns, built up over the years (and not always wisely!), but there is a varied and nice choice in the cabinet, both o/u and s/s.  I have found that I shoot one particular gun better than any other gun (despite having 3 fitted and all of my guns being pretty close in fit).  Its not a cheapie, but not expensive or exotic either; it's a 40 year old AyA, no 1, cost me about £3K inc fitting probably about 5 years ago.  It is reliable, probably has minimal depreciation, easy enough to get repaired should the need arise, and just 'works' for me.  I put about 3 or 4 thousand shots through it a year, and now seldom pick up another gun.

Whether you can shoot with a gun or not, can depend on a whole range of things.  In my case, the most notable thing is "trigger pulls". For years I shot quite well with AYA side by sides.  I then changed to Over and Under guns, and shot quite well with Berrettas. I changed to a Browning, and performed badly.  I changed to a Perrazzi, and shot quite well again.  I was talking to Chris Cradock  about this, and he said it was because Brownings had "slow" triggers.  I see  Brownings have recently redesigned their trigger mechanism, so maybe there was something in what Chris said.

I shoot best with my ex clay ground scrappy old 1967 remmy 1100, I've tried many other shotguns but the remmy just works for me, its like an extension of myself. I also think because shes such an old rat costly little I'm not precious with it so shooting is all about the shooting, no worry of looking after the gun or the like to distract from the shooting.

1 minute ago, cardigun said:

In my case, the most notable thing is "trigger pulls".

That I can fully understand; my cabinet includes 2 Merkel o/us.  Both were bought second hand, but both fitted me very well, one like a glove - could have been made for me!.  Both behaved beautifully on the pattern plate, and my gun fitter recommended 'no change', but I didn't shoot particularly well with either.

Triggers were suggested - and indeed, both guns (one single trigger, the other double trigger) were set very heavy.  This had not been particularly 'apparent' until pointed out to me.  I have since been told this is common with Merkel.  Both have been adjusted (properly by a gunmaker, not a shop bodge) - and indeed I now shoot MUCH better with them.

I have never owned a Browning, but I have shot a few borrowed ones - and always got on quite well with them, never noticing any slowness, or heaviness in the trigger, but I do think that in may cases, it can be less than ideal, without that being obviously noticeable (if that makes sense).

OK so hears the truth , it dose not matter a brass farthing how much the gun cost , who made it and what it has on it . Its the man behind the gun and his confidence in it . Many people have made the mistake of believing that an expensive named gun will make them better shots . Rubbish!! Yes a well made gun is nicer to look at , nicer to show off but all it really does is direct a colomn of shot in a set direction .

Many  trade up but dont realise they need to learn to shoot the new gun and have developed habits with the old gun that will not suit the new one , so effectively the gun may fit them but do they fit the gun?

We will not mention those who have been persuaded to buy something unsuitable because it is fashionable or that you have set your mind on one gun and are sold another so every time you miss you tell yourself you would have hit it had you had the gun of your original choice . Confidence in the gun and your ability , knowing your limitations .

Whilst is nice to have expensive toys a gun is basically a tool to do a job .

29 minutes ago, Gunman said:

We will not mention those who have been persuaded to buy something unsuitable because it is fashionable or that you have set your mind on one gun and are sold another so every time you miss you tell yourself you would have hit it had you had the gun of your original choice

I've experienced all of those (though not necessarily on the same quest)!

Edited by JohnfromUK

I find I can shoot equally badly with either cheap or expensive guns - cheap ones just leave more money to actually go out and shoot.

Many moons ago, I upgraded from a old Baikal o/u to a brand new Beretta Onyx - yes, I shot a bit better with it, but was it worth the money? Probably not. The Beretta had to go when my truck needed a new front diff, and I didn't really miss it afterwards. I saw a bigger improvement when I bought a cheap old pump action from Bosher's magic emporium - possibly because I enjoy shooting it, and don't feel under any pressure.

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Its the man behind the gun

...said the man qualified to have an opinion, and who isn't trying to sell you something.

Edited by CaptainBeaky
Typo

My favourite gun, and the one I feel very comfortable with and shoot best with is a very old Miroku 6000. It has no value as it has pitted barrels and a loose action and wobbly ejectors and the woodwork is, shall we say, not exactly 'mint'. I have absolutely no difficulty whatsoever of taking this gun to smart game shoots where the aggregate value of the other gun's weapons may be over six figures.

21 minutes ago, JDog said:

My favourite gun, and the one I feel very comfortable with and shoot best with is a very old Miroku 6000. It has no value as it has pitted barrels and a loose action and wobbly ejectors and the woodwork is, shall we say, not exactly 'mint'. I have absolutely no difficulty whatsoever of taking this gun to smart game shoots where the aggregate value of the other gun's weapons may be over six figures.

That`s because you can, no doubt, hold your own against those with more expensive guns.

A pal of mine who beats on a shoot very often gets asked to fill in on some drives as they know he can wipe the floor with the other guns using his old Baikal and he is used to make up the total bag.

OB

1 hour ago, JDog said:

This. I own an old black actioned 27” barrelled Winchester 101. It is fairly mint and I made the mistake of selling it once to fund a more expensive gun, despite always shooting very well with it. Big mistake. Fortunately I bought it back before it became abused and as much as I like the Perazzi, the 101 will never be sold. It handles like a dream and some of my favourite shooting memories involve this gun. 

I wouldn’t think twice about taking it on a very formal driven day. 

Edited by Scully
Spelling

20 hours ago, Wingman said:

Took the Lanber out today and shot probably one of the best rounds in the last 6 months, I was hitting clays at distance that I hadn't been able to with either of my 2 "best" guns.  Same applies to the Armsan, cheap as chips but again I seem to be able to better any score that I have put in with my other guns.  Bit strange really as I paid a fair whack to have to the Perazzi professionally fitted and it feels lovely to mount and shoot but just doesn't seem to work as well for me with the scores.

Be interesting to hear if your scores remain higher if you continue to use the Lanber for your next few trips to the Clay Ground. I think that often when you shoot with a gun you haven't used for a while or try a friends' gun you try harder, are more conscious of technique and perhaps errors that have crept in with your usual gun aren't present. Use that unfamiliar gun a few more times and things change.

23 hours ago, TriBsa said:

Be interesting to hear if your scores remain higher if you continue to use the Lanber for your next few trips to the Clay Ground. I think that often when you shoot with a gun you haven't used for a while or try a friends' gun you try harder, are more conscious of technique and perhaps errors that have crept in with your usual gun aren't present. Use that unfamiliar gun a few more times and things change.

I used my Armsan Semi yesterday at AGL and shot quite well with it, although I did have problems hitting high driven midi's on one of the stands.  Having said that it was a blast to shoot great fun on the clays and one of those guns that sort of feels "right" .  I also picked up my Perazzi from the onsite gunsmiths brand new forend fitted and serviced but I didnt have time to shoot it unfortunately.  It still looks and feels great and I wont be selling it any time soon hopefully now that its been fettled I will regain my confidence with it!

Have to say though I have had loads of semi auto over the years and for the money I am loving this little Armsan, one of my better buys I think!