E. Chamberlain Andover Gunmaker

swan40

I have just bought a new (old) gun by E. Chamberlain and I  am having difficulty finding information about  the maker . I have done the internet search thing with limited results , please can anybody point me in the right direction 

Info comes from the Nigel Brown Gunmakers book. Difficult to determine if they actually made guns or simply bought them in from the Birmingham makers. Probably made them in the early years but as mass production from Brum took over they would have bought them in either finished and put their names on them or "in the White" and engraved and fitted them to customers. Post some pics and someone far more wise than me will probably tell you more.

• 2 years later...

Hi folks, thank you for this information and the photograph too.  Just reading the shopfront it states E Chamberlain is a gun maker.  I have come across this page as it provides information on a gun of my late father who carried his gun in the UK and later in Australia.  I have had accounts of shooting pheasants with another now late friend of my father, back in the 1940s.  My father was a sergeant in the Special Constabulary around the Wallop airfield during the war.  He was apparently a pretty good farmer there as he was here. 

I am trying to document the gun as it will be presented to my grandson for his 21st.  He is a young man with a real interest in history and provenance.  I will use the information above and the picture too as background information for him.  I would love to get more information, but guess that is in the book that the photo is from

Best wishes, John

• 2 years later...

image.png.2296382439bcb8b02bdd6534236871eb.png

I used to live near Andover and remember seeing an old gunmaker's shop sign painted on the brickwork above a shpe. A quick google search throws this up exactly where I remember. Nice to see the victorian window surrounds remain even if the central doorway has been infilled. GBS

Edited by GBS