Airgun noob - info required

WinchesterDave

Hello! 

I was contacted the other day by the farmer of the farm I shoot on asking me to sort out the ferals in and around the yard. I only have shotgun and have been shooting for the past 7/8 years, so im not new to shooting, simply new to Air rifles. 

I have a friend who is/used to be in to his Air rifles and has a BSA R10 MK2. I contacted him asking if I could borrow it for the task in hand as I figured an Air Rifle would be a better tool for the job. 

Now, I picked it up last night and went out this morning (with no success the wind was not in my favour and no birds were landing). All I can say is what a beautiful rifle! I did a quick check zero in the garden and in the yard and it's preeety bang on! 

I just have a few novice questions really: I am told this is a bottle buddy rifle? Is this different to PCP? Benefits of a bottle buddy are....? 

In terms of refilling a bottle buddy, what do you need? 

Just really want to know the basics of Air Rifle terminology and use etc :)

Cheers in advance, 

Dave :good:

Even though it has a 'Buddy Bottle' it is still classed as a PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic). The bottle screws off for refilling from an air bottle or pump and then screwed back onto the rifle. Having shot thousands of feral pigeons over the years, just a couple of things to watch out for. I always retrieved the  dead (unless they fell into the occupied cattle pens). Be careful if you are shooting them off an apexed roof, if they drop into and block the gutters, you will NOT be popular. Take care when shooting inside the barns, I always try and get one of the steel girder uprights behind the target to act as a backstop. My sub 12 lbs .177 will put a pellet through a barn wall of timber, asbestos or metal sheets at the sometimes quite close ranges you are shooting at. If I think there will be a problem, I 'bait' them down into a safe area in the yard.  I am sure you will get additional advice, but this should get you started.

Sorry, missed the 'benefits' of a buddy bottle. I have never owned one, but friends that use them carry a spare bottle to swap, if one goes down in air pressure. I carry a small air bottle in my car, when fully charged I expect to get around 70 full power shots. I have never fired 70 shots in one outing yet.

Edited by Westley

13 minutes ago, Westley said:

Even though it has a 'Buddy Bottle' it is still classed as a PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic). The bottle screws off for refilling from an air bottle or pump and then screwed back onto the rifle. Having shot thousands of feral pigeons over the years, just a couple of things to watch out for. I always retrieved the  dead (unless they fell into the occupied cattle pens). Be careful if you are shooting them off an apexed roof, if they drop into and block the gutters, you will NOT be popular. Take care when shooting inside the barns, I always try and get one of the steel girder uprights behind the target to act as a backstop. My sub 12 lbs .177 will put a pellet through a barn wall of timber, asbestos or metal sheets at the sometimes quite close ranges you are shooting at. If I think there will be a problem, I 'bait' them down into a safe area in the yard.  I am sure you will get additional advice, but this should get you started.

Sorry, missed the 'benefits' of a buddy bottle. I have never owned one, but friends that use them carry a spare bottle to swap, if one goes down in air pressure. I carry a small air bottle in my car, when fully charged I expect to get around 70 full power shots. I have never fired 70 shots in one outing yet.

Thank you for the advice mate. Keen to learn more about this aspect of our sport :good:

What do you use to refill the Bottle? And where do you get said item from? 

Cheers, 

Dave

Hi Dave, don't try to just unscrew the bottle as it will be under pressure, ask your mate to show you how it comes off. 

I like bisley pest control pellets for ferals as they don't tend to over penetrate and damage buildings.

Another thing you can do with ferals is lamp them if there roosting in the sheds and barns.

I just take the buddy bottle off my rapid to my local gunshop costs a couple of quid, then your good for 150-300 shots depending on size.

23 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Hi Dave, don't try to just unscrew the bottle as it will be under pressure, ask your mate to show you how it comes off. 

I like bisley pest control pellets for ferals as they don't tend to over penetrate and damage buildings.

Another thing you can do with ferals is lamp them if there roosting in the sheds and barns.

Hi Mice, 

Yes, I don't intend to unscrew it, he filled it up beforehand for me and said if I need more to just pop around to his. 

Ah, thanks got that I will have a look at those! 

Cheers, 

1 hour ago, Snoozer said:

Thanks for sharing. 

32 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The bottle on an r10 never has to come off. You push the probe into a hole on the bottom the gun the fill it from your pump or. Divers bottle .

Ahh all starting to make sense Now! 

With regards to the divers bottle to fill up the bottle buddy... Where can you get these from? Cost etc and are they refillable or just use and buy new? I presume the filling attatchemt will be bought from BSA? 

Sorry for the questions I am just wanting to learn :)

You need to watch some airgun utube vids .try aeac .

You have a lot to learn .and to be fair probably shouldnt be using your mates pcp till you have.high pressure air can be very dangerous. 

Im suprised that your mate hasnt taught you before he lent the gun .go back to him and ask first please dave .

Cheers .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

You need to watch some airgun utube vids .try aeac .

You have a lot to learn .and to be fair probably shouldnt be using your mates pcp till you have.high pressure air can be very dangerous. 

Im suprised that your mate hasnt taught you before he lent the gun .go back to him and ask first please dave .

Cheers .

Cheers :good:

To be fair to him, he went though the rifle with me and showed me what's what. Gave me some advice etc. In terms of rifle safety/ back stops etc I don't feel as though im under prepared. I understand it and I consider my self a safe person. I'm simply wanting to understand how the rifle works and some more in-depth knowledge about air in general. 

Thanks for the advice and in put so far guys :good:

Dave 

Edited by WinchesterDave

Did your mate use a bottle or pump when he filled it for you?

I've had my rapid over twenty years now and have never needed a divers bottle, you could easily take the rifle to bamfords and they'll fill it for you no hassle, i have got a pump which quite a few guys on here use but i haven't used it yet.

like stu says you do need to be careful with high pressure air, so if your unsure best bet will be to go see your mate.

25 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Did your mate use a bottle or pump when he filled it for you?

I've had my rapid over twenty years now and have never needed a divers bottle, you could easily take the rifle to bamfords and they'll fill it for you no hassle, i have got a pump which quite a few guys on here use but i haven't used it yet.

like stu says you do need to be careful with high pressure air, so if your unsure best bet will be to go see your mate.

Cheers Mice. I'm not sure in all honesty what he used mate. 

Cheers for the info :good:

Dave, that rifle is classed as a pcp as mentioned above. Its short for pre charged pneumatic. There are many companies that make PCP's, Air Arms, Daystate, BSA, etc. Some have a tube on the underside of the barrel, others a bottle as in the R10 you were using. The older types, i.e., Theoben Rapid has a bottle. That has to be unscrewed and refilled with air. Its an antiquated system that has pretty much been replace by most if not all manufacturers with the probe from a pressure source. That can either be a dedicated stirrup pump, if your fit, or a divers "type" of cylinder. The bottle or tube on the rifle is filled to a pressure around 200bar. Some are higher. My Daystate is 230bar, each is different.  A Divers type cylinder is preferable to most as it costs little to fill at your local dive shop and you can transfer quite a lot of fills to the rifle before the cylinder needs refilling. A divers bottle itself is not the right one, you would have to purchase a dedicated airgun filling bottle. They have a special valve and gauge on them for the purpose of filling air rifles. Also, they are rated and filled to a higher pressure, i.e. 300bar. Most of the divers bottles are 200bar, with the wrong fittings on. You would get very roughly, 60 shots from the type of rifle that has a tube as opposed to 200 ish from a bottle version. 

https://youtu.be/c3qLaEzmCgU

Hope this helps.

On 06/04/2018 at 23:48, WinchesterDave said:

Cheers :good:

To be fair to him, he went though the rifle with me and showed me what's what. Gave me some advice etc. In terms of rifle safety/ back stops etc I don't feel as though im under prepared. I understand it and I consider my self a safe person. I'm simply wanting to understand how the rifle works and some more in-depth knowledge about air in general. 

Thanks for the advice and in put so far guys :good:

Dave 

Dave,

I think the safety aspect that has been mentioned is in relation to the filling of the rifle 'bottle' and the possible dangers with the pressure involved, if not done in a safe knowledgeable manner.

Edited by Good shot?
spelling error