Eye domination

shawn9914

Hi all

I am just getting back into shooting after a lengthy break

Question is I am right handed so shoot with gun in my right shoulder but I am left eye dominant so when I shoot with my left eye shut my gun is now point left of where I think it's pointing 

What are my best options here I have tried to shoot left handed and that is NEVER going to work would be better of putting the gun between my legs and using my toes 

So do I try to learn to shoot with both eyes open ???

I could really do with some advise as don't know how to over come this issue  or am I making too much of this but I need to get to the bottom of it

Cheers

Shawn 

I got myself  one of the "easyhit" fibre optics, when i mount the gun to a target and if my dominant left eye  takes over i cannot see the glowing green "bead" if i blink or squint with my left eye, the right takes over and i see the glowing green bead and i know i am on target.

I know there will be others who will come on and rubbish this, but i know this works for me, if i don't see the green bead i don't take the shot.

hello, why not try on a pattern plate, easy to make say with thick cardboard say a 3 ft x 3 ft,  draw a 30 inch circle with a small black middle circle,   shoot at 30 yards, with both eyes open and then left eye shut and see where it patterns best, it may sound a bit heath robinson but it should tell you your best point of aim, or maybe can do at a clay pigeon club,  

4 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Me too just close left eye as i take the shot. ( Andy Crow style. ).  :lol:

I`m opposite (not like Winston on here, you understand !) shoot left handed with a right master eye, just shut my right eye when taking the shot. No problem.

OB

I had an accident when I was a kid with my right eye, when I came out of hospital at the tender age of 10 I couldnt undestand why the sights on my air rifle wouldnt line up. I had become left eye dominant without understanding then what it meant. taught myself to shoot lefthanded, progressed to shot guns at 15 been shooting left handed all my life now, I am know 56.

• 3 months later...

I am right handed but left eye dominant and to make matters worse I cant shut my left eye over the years I have tried just about every method going including cross over stock ( it kicked like a mule ) none worked the only way I can shoot is to tilt my head right over the stock so my left eye is in line with the rib , my rifles have high mounts to enable me to do this it looks awkward but it does work ok not up to George Digweed standards but ok but I do get a thick lip if I fire a lot of shots.

3 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

I am right handed but left eye dominant and to make matters worse I cant shut my left eye over the years I have tried just about every method going including cross over stock ( it kicked like a mule ) none worked the only way I can shoot is to tilt my head right over the stock so my left eye is in line with the rib , my rifles have high mounts to enable me to do this it looks awkward but it does work ok not up to George Digweed standards but ok but I do get a thick lip if I fire a lot of shots.

Ouch ... that sounds like it's both painful and likely to be inconsistent.

Have you considered wearing glasses with a 'spot' patch that blocks the left eye from seeing the end of the barrel, and forces the right to take over? 

http://www.shotspot.co.uk/

This has helped me from being a constant eye closer, to now shooting both eyes open.

3 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

Wear a pair of safety glasses designed for shooting and whilst you are holding the gun in your shoulder as you would shoot it,  get someone to put a small piece of opaque surgical tape on the left lens of the glasses to block the vision through your left eye. A piece of about 1/2" round should do it. This will allow peripheral vision but ensure that your right eye looks along the gun's rib. Some quite cheap glasses on fleabay, complete with assorted lenses. Try it, at least it will eradicate the fat lip. 

Many women are left eye dominant. The test, of course, is to keep both eyes open and, with a full outstretched arm point at an object. Now close the left eye. If left eye dominant the finger will stay pointing at the object. If left eye dominant it will appear to "jump" to the left.

As others said the simple solution is to close the left eye just before mounting the gun. Cross eye stocks should really only be a last resort and for, say, the loss of the right eye. Or totally impaired vision in that right eye. I don't favour tape and frosted glass as for all the other time that you aren't shooting it still restricts your vision.

Edited by enfieldspares

I picked up a shotgun after a 20 year gap and through an eye complaint discovered I was now dominant left eye.

I really battled with this for 18 months with no good outcome.

Then tried a different tack of a very hard focus on the target, not seeing the gun and shooting as soon as the gun came into the shoulder.

Well my shooting has now improved to a very satisfactory standard.

I can't explain the nuts and bolts of why this works for me but it does.

Good luck.

On 29/07/2018 at 13:59, Robertt said:

I picked up a shotgun after a 20 year gap and through an eye complaint discovered I was now dominant left eye.

I really battled with this for 18 months with no good outcome.

Then tried a different tack of a very hard focus on the target, not seeing the gun and shooting as soon as the gun came into the shoulder.

Well my shooting has now improved to a very satisfactory standard.

I can't explain the nuts and bolts of why this works for me but it does.

Good luck.

that sounds like the Churchill method

https://www.keithcoyle.com/single-post/2017/02/13/The-Churchill-Method

Cpsa coach at game fare gave a pair of glasses with a patch on it to a friend I went with. He was left eye dominant when he tried a few shots and got on rather well, I stress it was only an incomer and a going away bird. He enjoyed hitting a few though.