Project next week.

la bala

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havnt got to much done on the press. Sorted some 100mm channel at lunch time, cutting and drilling this afternoon. Layed the bits out on the floor to get some ideas for tomorrow. I do have one question for the gurus. The bottom table on the press is adjustable, it is held in place by pins, I am thinking of making these 20mm diameter, now do I make them from hard steel or mild steel, I dont want to get close to the 20 tons and they shear giving off shrapnel, would i be better with a bit of bendy mild steel?

thumbnail_IMG_0597 press 2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0598 press 3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0599 press 4.jpg

7 minutes ago, bornfree said:

I made one myself a few years ago I will post some pictures.

Cheers bud.

On 07/04/2018 at 21:07, Big Mat said:

Couldn't you find a bigger jack? 

Got something in mind to fold or fancied a project?

The latter Mat

2 hours ago, la bala said:

The bottom table on the press is adjustable, it is held in place by pins, I am thinking of making these 20mm dia. Now do I make them from hard steel or mild steel, I dont want to get close to the 20 tons and they shear giving off shrapnel, would i be better with a bit of bendy mild steel?

Wouldn't EN16 give you good strength

Just being a bit cagey about these pins as there will be quite a lot of side shear force, I would have thought mild steel would bend and give gently, where as one of the fancy hard ones could let go with a big bang. I suppose another alternative could be stainless.

52 minutes ago, la bala said:

8mm Simon, bit of gusseting here and there me thinks,

AA

53 minutes ago, la bala said:

53 minutes ago, la bala said:

Don't mention gussets to him this early in the project, he will go all weak at the knees ?

9 minutes ago, la bala said:

Just being a bit cagey about these pins as there will be quite a lot of side shear force, I would have thought mild steel would bend and give gently, where as one of the fancy hard ones could let go with a big bang. I suppose another alternative could be stainless.

If you go stainless, what grade, 303, 304? 

I did some pins recently that would be under alot of stress but i cannot remember what grade mild we used!

I would not recommend stainless - if anything could go with a bang it would be commercial grade stainless or (worse still) bright ground bar which can snap like a carrot.

EN16 is a recognised high tensile grade and at a maximum stress of 45-65 tons per square inch should easily handle 20 tonnes at 20mm.

I use EN16 when I am making cylinder head studs and engine fixing bolts (at 8-10mm diameter) for my bikes.

I hasten to add that I am not an engineer, but learned the hard way about stainless and bright ground bar

1 minute ago, amateur said:

I would not recommend stainless - if anything could go with a bang it would be commercial grade stainless or (worse still) bright ground bar which can snap like a carrot.

EN16 is a recognised high tensile grade and at a maximum stress of 45-65 tons per square inch should easily handle 20 tonnes at 20mm.

I use EN16 when I am making cylinder head studs and engine fixing bolts (at 8-10mm diameter) for my bikes.

I hasten to add that I am not an engineer, but learned the hard way about stainless and bright ground bar

Whats your take on 20mm mild steel bar on side shear, do you think it would be more forgiving at the crucial moment.