Project next week.

la bala

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mild steel, by definition, is not an engineering grade.

If you do not know its composition you can only guess at what it might do under stress - not something that I would want to do.

My tables on steel grades do not give a stress loading for mild steel.

With a known grade of engineering steel with known compositions and a published stress level, you can calculate whether or not the stud will fail at the loadings that you are proposing.

I would suggest that 20mm diameter of EN16 would easily cope with your loadings

3 minutes ago, amateur said:

Mild steel, by definition, is not an engineering grade.

If you do not know its composition you can only guess at what it might do under stress - not something that I would want to do.

My tables on steel grades do not give a stress loading for mild steel.

With a known grade of engineering steel with known compositions and a published stress level, you can calculate whether or not the stud will fail at the loadings that you are proposing.

I would suggest that 20mm diameter of EN16 would easily cope with your loadings

Thanks for your help. will get some ordered.

Opened the holes on side frame to 20mm today. I decided to change the design a bit, things didnt quite look strong enough to be a 20 ton press. I have made the bottom adjustable table much stronger, I now have to think about beefing the top bar up as well, no point in having one end stronger than the other. All this beefing up and making stronger comes at a price, its getting mighty heavy already. I am already struggling to lift the bottom table and put the pins in at the same time:lol: This getting old aint much fun when the brain is still young. Tomorrow I intend to weld the frame up, at the moment it is only tacked, I am just hoping I dont tighten everything up so the adjustable table is no longer adjustable, but as always if I mess up I will tell.

thumbnail_IMG_0600 press 6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0601 press 7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0602 press 8.jpg

7 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I've got some nice En16 on my bench that would suit you nicely, customer might complain if i chopped abit off though  especially as it's precision ground stuff!

If its 20mm Dia I sure he wouldnt miss 2 off at 200mm :lol::lol:

Thats a serious bit of kit bornfree there is some meat in that. I rather like that little lathe in one of the pics.  Thanks for sharing, most interesting.

31 minutes ago, la bala said:

If its 20mm Dia I sure he wouldnt miss 2 off at 200mm :lol::lol:

Thats a serious bit of kit bornfree there is some meat in that. I rather like that little lathe in one of the pics.  Thanks for sharing, most interesting.

There will only be any spares if I mess up the programming in the morning :lol:

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

quick question.................what are you making a press for.....have you got something in mind ?

Well its like this ditchman, I would much prefer sitting in the LR with the 452 on the rest, With the Mrs being poorly over the last twelve months i havnt managed to get out much, not that I would settle very long if i was out. Of late after helping out with the household chores and shopping, I have found myself more and more on this laptop. Last week I decided i was turning into a couch potato, I decided i needed a project, something to do other than what i was doing, and something to get the brain working. I will probably never use the press but have those in the family who will give it a good home. I tell you what ditchman after looking at the press that bornfree put on here, it makes my effort look as though its came out of a christmas cracker. :lol::lol:

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

eh !

Squeezing (bulking) rams horn in formers using a press, after prolonged boiling (to make it pliable) ........Rams horn is hollow so needs to be squeezed solid in order to work it, and shape it into a rams horn thumb stick.

know how you feel....felt exactly the same when i invented and made my intergalactic space ship engine...just got board one day and decieded to make one "just for the craec"..(where the klingons do dwell)

mind you ...to quote a previous communicate.........................."thats a mighty fine tool you have there"

Got a bit more done today,  seam welded everything together, it did tighten the adjustable table a wee bit but a whack up and down with the 7 pounder sorted it. Collected some EN bar for table pins, and a piece of 35mm diameter for press main pin. I welded the press pin in and put everything together, stood back and thought this is going well. Yer Ok :lol::lol:.                        Now any of you on here who are in later years will know, some of us oldies do from time to time lack a bit of concentration. Before I go any further I must tell you, I had plans and intentions of beefing up the top of the press main frame, in fact the 12mm plate was lying on the floor ready to make some big gussets. This was the next job after lunch. Getting back in the workshop after lunch, I stood there having a rollup and admiring my press, this is where it started to go mammories up :lol:. I stood back and thought i will give it a little test run. On my bench i had got a big old lump of brass with a pin going through it which was also brass, this had been in the ground many years and i thought it would be a good test. The pin  measured just over 8mm so obviously an imperial measurement, well after bending a couple of short 8mm bolts I tried a short stainless one, so off we go pumping the press. This is better, this bolt isnt bending, gave it a couple of more pumps, surely it will go in a minute. Yes, I can hear you all saying, he hasnt finished the top frame.:lol::lol:. Tell you what boys this getting old aint much fun. But like of have said before, if i am doing a project I will always tell you if i make a monumental c@ckup. :lol:

thumbnail_IMG_0610 press 12.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0611 press 13.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0612 press 14.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0613 press 15.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0614 press 16.jpg