Project next week.

la bala

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just had a quiker look at that........didnt notice before that you have used channel........if you replace that top beam with an RSJ or "I" beam you should be fine...then replace the bottom one with an RSJ...the rest of the stuff is in tension and should be alright................alter your point loading ...it is too localised ...where the jack ram meets the beam put a 1" thick plate on about 5" square..

if it were me i would just put a couple of peices of wood either side with sum gaffer tape ....jobs a gooden..:lol:

Edited by ditchman

9 hours ago, la bala said:

Got a bit more done today,  seam welded everything together, it did tighten the adjustable table a wee bit but a whack up and down with the 7 pounder sorted it. Collected some EN bar for table pins, and a piece of 35mm diameter for press main pin. I welded the press pin in and put everything together, stood back and thought this is going well. Yer Ok .                        Now any of you on here who are in later years will know, some of us oldies do from time to time lack a bit of concentration. Before I go any further I must tell you, I had plans and intentions of beefing up the top of the press main frame, in fact the 12mm plate was lying on the floor ready to make some big gussets. This was the next job after lunch. Getting back in the workshop after lunch, I stood there having a rollup and admiring my press, this is where it started to go mammories up . I stood back and thought i will give it a little test run. On my bench i had got a big old lump of brass with a pin going through it which was also brass, this had been in the ground many years and i thought it would be a good test. The pin  measured just over 8mm so obviously an imperial measurement, well after bending a couple of short 8mm bolts I tried a short stainless one, so off we go pumping the press. This is better, this bolt isnt bending, gave it a couple of more pumps, surely it will go in a minute. Yes, I can hear you all saying, he hasnt finished the top frame.. Tell you what boys this getting old aint much fun. But like of have said before, if i am doing a project I will always tell you if i make a monumental c@ckup. 

thumbnail_IMG_0610 press 12.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0611 press 13.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0612 press 14.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0613 press 15.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0614 press 16.jpg

You didn't collect the bar from an engineering shop with the big white doors on harecroft road did you? 

Cut the bent top channel out today, boy had that got some tension on it. It had pulled the sides a bit but fixable. Now I was hoping I had enough channel to put two lengths back to back to make an I beam, **** law I hadnt. As I didnt want to spend any more on the project I decided to use whatever I could find in the workshop. I had one piece of channel, I put that back in the top with the help of the new jack. I then found a nice bit of 12mm plate, that will make me two good size gussets, the only problem with the plate, its galvanised so had to spend a bit of time grinding it off. As I was cutting the gussets I cut a plate to go under the top bar where the jack head pushes on. The next job is to grind some bevels on the plates to get a good weld. I have added a rough sketch to show how the press should finish up.

thumbnail_IMG_0615 press 15.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0616 press 16.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0617 press 17.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0618 press 18.jpg

Had an enjoyable day today, been playing with gussets, its so satisfying just moving the gusset around to get it in the right place :lol:. Only problem was that carp galvanising, i thought i had cleaned it well but it shows up in the welding, horrible stuff not good for your health either. The adjustable table was still binding a bit so I cut the end strengtheners out and repositioned them. I have just got to finish the top bar and I will be on track. Just remembered, i need some more springs, one set doesnt quite do the job of returning the jack.

thumbnail_IMG_0620 press 15.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0621 press 16.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0629press 17.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0630 press 18.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0631press 19.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0632press 20.jpg

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Last time I saw something similar was in the French Revolution ?

so when do you fit the blade ?

Now there is an idea O.F, do you think there is a sale for them. Mind you it would have to run more freely than my press table was, the prisoner would die of boredom waiting for the blade to fall:lol: