Should have been here Last Week

In my post last week we found two fields with very good numbers of birds feeding hard and due to it being the Easter Weekend we were unable to shoot. Three quesses as to the direction of our search this week. The first farm we went to had holiday lets and they were leaving so the farmer said carry on but my regular two shooters have had a problem with the birds just going off and not returning. So we drove the farm round the rape and watched the reaction the birds just lifted off and spiralled into the stratosphere, now last week they were feeding hard on the rape and did not lift. We watched as they went over to another farm and beat a hasty retreat.

The second flock was on MOD land and the farmer needed to get permission for us to shoot and with it being Easter last week nobody was willing to grant permission, the farmer had gained permission for us to shoot so we had to set up and shoot . The number of birds was much less than the week before but we hoped that the number would increase as the day went on. We set up as normal with twelve fresh birds and a good number of birds tried to come in as we were setting up. It was 12.00 and the birds were very slow to return but when they did they decoyed well. As the day went on the total was slowly building and we hung on till 18.45 before finally packing up. We did not loose a bird with the dogs help and when we totaled the days bag it was bang on ninety nine.

I'm sure that if we had shot last week it would have been treble that.

100_3106.jpg

99 Pigeons

Thanks PC once again for your detailed and informative post. Always a joy to read.

You never cease to amaze with your consistently large bags. It is of course down to your experience, observation, sheer dedication and determination, which I'm sure has all our admiration.

Can I ask whether you feel absolutely knackered after such a day, as I seem to, getting a very small fraction of that sort of bag. If not, can I ask what you're on !

OB

The highlight on a Saturday night didn't disappoint P C  , as near to a three figure bag you and D B are likely to get so well done on all accounts.

I have got a feeling this time next week you will need longer cradles with the rapes rapid growth now that things are warming up , yesterday I was shooting on rape that has been eaten off that was 12 / 15 inches high , another field that was left alone by pigeons is now over three feet high and getting well into flower . I would imagine the growth is now well over a inch a day .

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks PC once again for your detailed and informative post. Always a joy to read.

You never cease to amaze with your consistently large bags. It is of course down to your experience, observation, sheer dedication and determination, which I'm sure has all our admiration.

Can I ask whether you feel absolutely knackered after such a day, as I seem to, getting a very small fraction of that sort of bag. If not, can I ask what you're on !

OB

Yes my whole body aches today, DB carried the birds off the field and I carried the kit plus decoys for next week. I'm 70 next month and I think I work on adrenaline and caffeine. 

3 hours ago, JDog said:

Sorry you didn’t quite get the ton. It must be the new cap. Impressive nevertheless.

Thanks for your comments, it's the same cap just at a jaunty angle or perhaps I'm getting big headed????

36 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Yes my whole body aches today, DB carried the birds off the field and I carried the kit plus decoys for next week. I'm 70 next month and I think I work on adrenaline and caffeine. 

I too am 70 in a couple of months so I`m pleased that I`m not alone with the aches and pains the day after a days shooting, although my days out aren`t so long as yours and the bags considerably smaller. Perhaps I should drink more coffee as I understand you get through two flasks full during the day.

I keep telling myself age is just a number, but my body sometimes thinks differently.

I know the feeling , just turned 68 last month , you can have all the money in the world but you cannot buy time, 100 bird reg today , have a go at the pike tomorrow , then back to running the business on Tuesday till Friday , then it starts all over again. camp coffee for me  p c .