Water main

Chris B123

I have got to replace a water main into a house. The regs say it must be a minimum of 750mm down not a problem on the run from the stopcock to the house, but where it enters the house and comes up in the kitchen due to the depth of concrete it would be very difficult. I have seen a product called insuduct, it's just a 100mm outer pipe with a insulated insert, would it be possible to use this for the bit that enters the house and not have to dig down 750mm. I have tried asking the waterboard, but they said ask the inspector when he comes to check it.

40 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Yes, only out to the edge of the property though, then the water company does the final connection.

hello, if possible get them to replace the stop cock, i presume your old pipe to your house was galvanised steel or the old black plastic, and a old stopcock, try and get one done in brass as those with a plastic hand turn are not good  

35 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if possible get them to replace the stop cock, i presume your old pipe to your house was galvanised steel or the old black plastic, and a old stopcock, try and get one done in brass as those with a plastic hand turn are not good  

If its the stopcock in the house, then its your responsibility, if its the one in the road then its down to the water company. The one in the house is not hard to change if you can get to it.

16 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

If its the stopcock in the house, then its your responsibility, if its the one in the road then its down to the water company. The one in the house is not hard to change if you can get to it.

hello, yes i know chris i put in 100s of stop taps in on residents water mains, then we allowed 1 yard in to connect to new pipe, most stop taps are in the footpath or verge, not many were in the road around the vale, Wallingford even had old lead pipes  

9 hours ago, Chris B. said:

Yes, only out to the edge of the property though, then the water company does the final connection.

Thanks for that! Interesting to know I can do it myself if needed! Mine is a 30 feet through the garden then a further 25 foot under the floor in the house! It will be a nightmare, but if I can do it myself it will save a small fortune! 

I did my own, dug to 750mm, laid the new pipe on sand, had to dig under 2 garden walls in the process, put a new brass stopcock on the inside of the house, then the utilities finally came after @ 3 months to connect to the main on the footpath. Other than the initial inspection they didn't put a foot on my drive, this was to replace lead pipe. Most quotes I had were @  £1500, so a massive saving doing it yourself. We were sent a letter and diagram out explaining what to do, but I think you can also get it online.

S

32 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

Pigeonpopper, sorry I miss read your post, I thought you needed your's replaced. This one I am doing is the old galvanised pipe but its had a water meter fitted so its a plastic one.

hello, no worry chris, that Insuduct looks a handy bit of kit, was not about in my time on Thames Water, 

3 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

Thanks for that! Interesting to know I can do it myself if needed! Mine is a 30 feet through the garden then a further 25 foot under the floor in the house! It will be a nightmare, but if I can do it myself it will save a small fortune! 

hello geordie, is that to the rear of property where your mains pipe comes up in the kitchen? 

47 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Yes, through the rear garden, under the living room then staircase and into the kitchen! 

hello, if you have a side way footpath around your home i would redirect a new pipe that way into kitchen, then you could fit the Insuduct, if your intending to live there many years i would put new pipe in pea gravel, save flints and sharp stones from pipe damadge 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

It's terraced unfortunately! So I would have no option! 

hello LG, AH that may be all you can do is renew up to the foundations and hope for no leak under the property,  you might be lucky and find the pipe has been put in ducting, but if not the case it may pay to put a stop tap inline just in case, do you know if the feed pipe is plastic or galvanised steel pipe? cheers

5 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

It's circa 1968 so assume it's steel, digging down then punching through the foundation isn't a prob if I even need to do it! It's just a once in a lifetime job if done correctly! 

hello, you will just need a galvanised compression fitting the size for the pipe/ brass stop tap with a long galvanised nipple one side that the compression fits, and a brass or galvanised nipple to poly pipe fitting with the new plastic pipe, then denso tape over what galvanised pipe showing and fittings, a length of 6 inch plastic pipe cut a V to fit over stop tap and a plastic stop cock box, so if ever need to repair kitchen pipes you can shut off, make a long steel stop cock key and keep in safe place,  use PTFE tape on threads, i prefered our plumbers mate  or thread compound