Barbour Jacket

countryman

It has been many years since I owned a Barbour jacket, what with all this high tec realtree etc that we all seem to have now I had all but forgotten about them. I would like to get one again but there are a lot to choose from it would seem now. As a young lad I had a Solway zipper which never really wore out, I just grew out of it. What would those of you who have them would recommend now, I am looking more for something more heavy duty than lightweight. 

Thanks

I get the £25 farmers market jobbies and find after a spot of wax they do the job. Using them every day for most of the year and reproofing twice a year I tend to get three to four years begore they start to fall apart. One day I will try a barbour but the price seems vastly higher for something unlikely to last that much longer (would need to be hitting 30-40 years to be cost effective).

I bought a newer style Barbour wax jacket ready for the winter, mainly for nostalgic reasons I might add. I really like it and it’s great for what I use it for (ie walking the dog) but if you want a totally waterproof jacket I would look elsewhere.

It’s a heavy coat and not at all breathable but it is warm. I’d buy another, but for use as an all round shooting coat in all weathers I much prefer my Goretex jacket.

34 minutes ago, Misterclay said:

I had a Barbour Beaufort as a teenager. I got years of good use from it but then grew out of it.

I recently dug it out from the back of my wardrobe & sent it back to Barbour. I had it repaired, lengthened & reproofed. It's now as good as new

Maybe something to consider

That would be a nice idea, the last I saw my old jacket my Dad had it wrapped around an out side stand pipe to keep the frost off it, that was about 20 years ago, I think he said it was still in good use back then. Sadly my old man is not around any more or I could of asked him to buy me a new one, or though knowing my old man he would have re waxed it and said its got character now.

1 hour ago, Misterclay said:

I had a Barbour Beaufort as a teenager. I got years of good use from it but then grew out of it.

I recently dug it out from the back of my wardrobe & sent it back to Barbour. I had it repaired, lengthened & reproofed. It's now as good as new

Maybe something to consider

Brilliant jackets with the poacher type pocket, I had one for years . Only downside is they are only short and I like a longer coat if I’m standing about. 

Its only the cost that puts me off buying another as the modern designs from other leading names can be cheaper 

As before, there are three for sale in the ‘Other sales’ section of this forum, all in good condition and at a fraction of the price of new ones! 

I can personally vouch for the integrity of the seller, having bought four Barbour jackets from him over the past few years. 

I like Barbour waxed jackets. ?

36 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, quite a few for sale on ebay etc, but the prices :rolleyes: i know i should have kept my old one, i bought a vgc barbour border last year for £15, just need a hood and lining

hello, i put 2 nice wax jackets on here for sale with no interest, could not find ad to update