Very enjoyable pest control

Wilksy II

I had welcome day off Friday, been really busy at work recently, so i thought I’d get out on the pigeons, no reccy or tip off that the pigeons where there just blind optimist, set up under a little ash tree On a hedgerow with a few other ashes dotted along it, the wind was strong and blowing 45 degree across the front of me, not ideal but that’s the spot in this field, I lifted maybe 20 off on arrival, (not great) 

i set up none the less for 10:00 with five lofters in the ash, 20 sillosock covered shells and thats it, no dead birds for the flapper or magnet, but I didn’t have to wait long the birds came back and I soon had Four, I put out the flapper and two bouncers opting to leave the magnet as the birds were happy with the set up anyway, due to the wind direction the pigeons just appeared in front and I missed quiet a few not even putting my gun up as they where in the pattern and gone in a flash.

steady away all day with a lull from 1 till 3 Adding 5 to the bag in the last 15mins I packed up at 5pm with 25.

A text Saturday from the farmer saying there’s 200 on his other rape field saw me back out today, got the all clear from the family, and set up for 10:00, no wind and not many pigeons either! Still I set up on the only place i could without upsetting 4 different horse paddocks, as it happens the rape in this spot is poor and it’s the highest  part of the field, no trees but a 6’ hawthorn hedge so plonked my lofters on that and with dead birds from Friday went for flapper, magnet and two bouncers plus my 20 shells, with no wind at all had to guess on a pattern but it worked a treat and birds come in lovely, at 1:30pm it went dead but I stuck it out till 4 for only 3 more birds,**** law saw a flurry of pigeons as I packed up but with 25 picked and 3 lost beyond my permission I’d had enough, now I know fifty pigeons isn’t a huge amount, but provided me some great sport and satisfaction knowing the pattern worked and I shot relatively well made it all the better, I definitely think the lofters played a large part in giving the pigeons confidence to decoy,

thanks for reading

wilksy  

9F031D51-9D49-477D-80A1-0282A3959FD0.jpeg

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Great stuff. Two good outings and a photo. I like your reasoning concerning your set ups.

2 minutes ago, aga man said:

A good report Wilksy, much better than I can muster at the minute. Well shot pal.:good:

Cheers gents! There are plenty of pigeons about but there’s plenty of fields for them also, so it seems that’s the limit of what I can shoot before they clear off elsewhere 

Two 25 bird bags on the trot is a nice bit of sport and a lot of the forum members would be more than happy with that , ( me included ) , I go a lot, but around three hours when I go with a gun is enough for me and with the pigeons still bunched up and on a different rape field each day and getting just into double figures is about all you can hope for .

Well done and well worth taking a day off .