Petrol engine lawnmower valve click?

rovercoupe

Ripped the thing open tonight and took out the offending decompression lever and got it back together and it runs as better than it ever has! Its gon back to next door untill his new one arrives then its going to be his backup mower in my posession.

thanks for all the help guys it turns out the first reply was the problem!

image.jpeg

On 17/04/2018 at 17:34, rovercoupe said:

Can I ask was the decompression part damaged in any way on yours or just stuck?

I have had some evil kickback on my big milling saw when it was running lean and it nearly snapped my arm off.

Yes it was just stuck! As it is attached to the camshaft I decided to simply replace it as it was easier and didn't actually cost that much.

On 08/04/2018 at 21:11, eastdevon said:

How long has the engine been sat up for?? You say you have ruled out the carb?!? Is the air filter ok as in clean enough?? Did you blast out the fuel jets within the carb as they are a ****** for getting clogged up! As for the ticking sound it sounds to me like it has a sticky push rod lifter which should cure itself with a couple of heat cycles. Also these small engines sometimes do have a small catchment on the cam which holds a valve open very slightly for longer which helps lower the compression to aid in easy starter in the pull rope, once running this is flung open and away so that normal valve function and compression is resumed for running. Oh and if spark plug is old and full of crud replace with a new one, old cruded up ones can and do make starting and running a ******.

clever boy...well done..:good: