Container for brining

Doc Holliday

Morning all. Mrs H and I have been looking at brining over the oast few weeks but are stumped at the first gate as to what type.of container to use to put the joint and brine in. 

I have looked online and most forums generally say "food grade hard plastic". We managed to get in to Lakeland yesterday to see what they had but apart from offering a BPA Free box and a loose asaurance that we "should be ok" left us with a certain amount of doubt.

We then thought maybe either something glass or ceramic but think.we will strugggle to get something big enough to put a joint in. 

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Doc

It was a fair while back I bought my container for brining (I experimented with boned out haunches of venison - munties and roe) I think it might have been from Wilko but anyway it is about 10l in size and I found this for you https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-home-97l-klip-lock-storage. I think that you will pretty much always get some leeching of the plasticiser out of any plastic container so maybe pop a strong salt solution in there for a week first and then discard it if you are concerned.

What are you going to brine?

I use a homebrew bucket as I can easily get it into my deer fridge.  However, before I got the big fridge, I used large heavy duty ziploc bags,  they were about 30cmx40cm but I think you can get bigger.  The beauty of the bags is you don't need the volume of brine you need in a bucket as you squeeze the air out of the bag so the liquid envelops the meat without having to completely fill the bag.