Offensive Weapons Bill

Thank you for bringing that to our attention David.

Quote :-

Bill Harriman, BASC’s Director of Firearms said: “We will be submitting the legislation to rigorous scrutiny and will robustly represent the shooting community to ensure that legitimate sporting interests are not damaged by measures that have little or no relevance to stopping violent crime.”

Exactly like you have done with the Chief Constable of Lincolnshire who I understand now makes his own interpretation of the Law .

47 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Thank you for bringing that to our attention David.

Quote :-

Bill Harriman, BASC’s Director of Firearms said: “We will be submitting the legislation to rigorous scrutiny and will robustly represent the shooting community to ensure that legitimate sporting interests are not damaged by measures that have little or no relevance to stopping violent crime.”

Exactly like you have done with the Chief Constable of Lincolnshire who I understand now makes his own interpretation of the Law .

Im not sure how Lincolnshire works,doesnt G4S handle firearms licencing there?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Well lets face it....be honest now ...the knife laws preventing me a law abiding member of the public carry a locking knife, have certainly stopped the garbage on the streets stabbing each other ...now be honest, it has, hasn't it???????????????????????????????:no::no::no:

+11111111111111111111

The government are trying to look like they are doing something, and it will achieve nothing apart from penalising law abiding citizens.  The laws and powers are already in place to deal with these criminals if they were used properly. 

Edited by ordnance

4 minutes ago, ordnance said:

The government are trying to look like they are doing something, and it will achieve nothing apart from penalising law abiding citizens.  The laws and powers are already in place to deal with these criminals if they were used properly. 

This. We have knife laws and gun laws. The only people whom they have an effect on is the law abiding. It is already illegal to stab or shoot someone unless it's in self defence. 

The home secretary was on the radio news spouting off all manner of soundbites and making the expected noises, adding that 'they ( the government I'm assuming ) will not stand idly by while people are getting acid thrown in their faces' blah blah blah, but the truth of the matter is that they do stand idly by; they have no alternative. 

The mention of banning ‘rapid firing firearms’  and ‘certain powerful firearms’ can only be aimed at licensed firearms owners as these types are not capable of being owned legally without the necessary license. Self loading rifles and shotguns? Pumps? 

There was news earlier this week regarding a nurse who accumulated a number of guns with the intent of shooting colleagues. Included in this collection werecwhat looked like a Mac-10 and a a Scorpion (?) .

Neither of these have ever been legal to own in the UK as far as I’m aware, but rather than look to themselves and their ineffectiveness to tackle the availability of such firearms and the multitude of shootings in our capital, politicians instead and true to form, target the only people they have any influence over.....namely us, the law abiding. Sorted. ?

I will be writing to the relevant department, if for no other reason than to let them know they aren’t kidding anyone and that I despise such underhanded and dishonest tactics. 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

There was news earlier this week regarding a nurse who accumulated a number of guns with the intent of shooting colleagues. Included in this collection werecwhat looked like a Mac-10 and a a Scorpion (?

I believe he was a Scottish  ex A&E doctor who had 3 Scorpion machine pistols, and other pistols. Supposedly all reactivated  by himself. Was supposed to have been shooting the guns in nearby woods for 'target practice'. By all accounts he was a bit of a mentalist

12 hours ago, Scully said:

The mention of banning ‘rapid firing firearms’  and ‘certain powerful firearms’ can only be aimed at licensed firearms owners as these types are not capable of being owned legally without the necessary license. Self loading rifles and shotguns? Pumps? 

There was news earlier this week regarding a nurse who accumulated a number of guns with the intent of shooting colleagues. Included in this collection werecwhat looked like a Mac-10 and a a Scorpion (?) .

Neither of these have ever been legal to own in the UK as far as I’m aware, but rather than look to themselves and their ineffectiveness to tackle the availability of such firearms and the multitude of shootings in our capital, politicians instead and true to form, target the only people they have any influence over.....namely us, the law abiding. Sorted. ?

I will be writing to the relevant department, if for no other reason than to let them know they aren’t kidding anyone and that I despise such underhanded and dishonest tactics. 

That's the worrying thing you can fire a pump action pretty quickly. These morons in government haven't got a clue.

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Included in this collection werecwhat looked like a Mac-10 and a a Scorpion (?) .

Neither of these have ever been legal to own in the UK as far as I’m aware

Pre-ban days, not in full-auto form, but such models were sold as S1 firearms.

1 hour ago, Benkent said:

That's the worrying thing you can fire a pump action pretty quickly. These morons in government haven't got a clue.

Pump action rifles WERE lumped in with semi auto rifles in the post-Hungerford ban, so someone knew a little about potential rates of fire.
The one I used a few years back was quite a modern thing - .223, took AR15 magazines, etc. Poor trigger though!

The real problem is that government don't have any plan or hope of dealing with the social issues that lead to kids, young men carrying knifes , acid or guns, driven by drugs, gangs the closing of youth centres, poor education, poor housing and no hope of ever getting a well paid job. So to hide the situation and appear to be taking action they implement more and more stupid laws that will never impact on the criminals only the law abiding. They have the laws now, but don't effectively use them as the jails would be full and many more jails would be needed. Sadly how do you turn around say a fourteen year old who has only ever known poverty probably his parents or parent has never worked live in a slum, use drugs and have no respect for anything or anybody and especially the law and carry a knife because that's what his mates do and has no hope of improving his lot.

not a social problem I would want to solve.

2 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

The real problem is that government don't have any plan or hope of dealing with the social issues that lead to kids, young men carrying knifes , acid or guns, driven by drugs, gangs the closing of youth centres, poor education, poor housing and no hope of ever getting a well paid job. So to hide the situation and appear to be taking action they implement more and more stupid laws that will never impact on the criminals only the law abiding. They have the laws now, but don't effectively use them as the jails would be full and many more jails would be needed. Sadly how do you turn around say a fourteen year old who has only ever known poverty probably his parents or parent has never worked live in a slum, use drugs and have no respect for anything or anybody and especially the law and carry a knife because that's what his mates do and has no hope of improving his lot.

not a social problem I would want to solve.

You are absolutely correct.
But its their JOB to think of solutions to this type of crime.
The law needs a radical change to deal with violent offenders, especially ones who choose to use weapons, whatever that weapon may be.
Half of the problem is with jail space and cost, why it costs so much to keep someone inside, I really cant fathom.
Is this why they wont build more prisons, because they cant afford to run them ? That would be the first item to be sorted.

Then take a warts and all look at who is committing the crimes, the recent London stabbings and shootings are mostly being done by young black men of African origin.
Yet no one seems to want to come out and say it, they used to say Operation Trident is investigating (and you sort of knew it was black on black) now they dont even bother with that, they probably think its racist to do so, WHY?
You can will blame it on music, or poverty or the fact the local 'youf ' club has been closed by the 'tories'

But come the end of the day if people dont get an education, so they cant speak properly, string a normal sentence together or do some basic maths and English, its either because they didnt WANT to, or nobody MADE them go to school.
So how on earth are they going to get any job ,never mind a well paid one, to pay for all those things the rappers in their grime and rap videos seem to have ?
If they believe that the path to riches is by emulating said 'artistes' and the way in which this is done is by selling drugs and blowing away anyone who opposes them.
In the dim recess's of their uneducated minds, their life is clear - Get rich or die trying.
Poor housing, slums ? Many of these estates and high rises started off being very nice, they were MADE slums by the people who live in them.

The start of tackling the problem, is first of all to recognise where the problem originates, and its not with the people who jump through hoops to own a legal firearm.

Then punish the people who illegally own and use firearms ,knives, acid and pointy sticks to the full extent of the ALREADY EXISTING LAW.
And stop skirting round the issues in case it offends someone.

I believe it's .50 caliber rifles and MARS action rifles they are referring to as there is a Home Office impact assessment available online for the potential banning of these firearms. However I do believe they widened the scope a little by banning any firearm with a muzzle energy of 10,000 ft lbf or more, what ever firearms they may be. Regular full bore guns like .308, 303 etc are below that so hopefully they're safe...for now. The banning of any firearm is unacceptable though with no good reason to do so.

11 minutes ago, Pointy Hat said:

I believe it's .50 caliber rifles and MARS action rifles they are referring to as there is a Home Office impact assessment available online for the potential banning of these firearms. However I do believe they widened the scope a little by banning any firearm with a muzzle energy of 10,000 ft lbf or more, what ever firearms they may be. Regular full bore guns like .308, 303 etc are below that so hopefully they're safe...for now. The banning of any firearm is unacceptable though with no good reason to do so.

Thats just the point,they want them gone because they are too 'dangerous'
Just how many crimes and deaths have been done using these particular firearms ?