Early bird

muncher

I had my eye on a field of rape that was getting plenty of attention. I nearly shot it on Friday but thought I'd wait until Saturday,much to my disappointment two shooters were already in situ at 9 o'cock. I drove to several other fields and no joy I nearly went home but I decided one last field to have a look at ,a field that has been mostly destroyed and I thought the pigeons had lef it be

When I arrived a few birds were down and a few joining, oh well better than watching telly so I lugged my gear over to the far side and set up after 2 hours I had about 15 and the pigeons decided they wanted the other side of the field so I packed up and moved over to the other side. Straight away the pigeons came decided nicely .I had 50 cartrdges left when I moved and when I shot the last one at 3.30 I packed up with 50 exactly in the bag. The highlight of the day for me was 5 doubles on the trot as I've been in a bit of poor form recently.

20180409_102450.jpg

You picked the right day to be out pigeon shooting after all the wet and cold weather we have had just lately , Saturday was the first day this year I was shooting with just a jumper on , although it didn't last long as we are back to cold , gloomy weather.

Your dog look in peak condition and have got the looks of a perfect gundog , and well done on the doubles.

Where was the other half of N / Norfolk hot shot duo M + M ?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

You picked the right day to be out pigeon shooting after all the wet and cold weather we have had just lately , Saturday was the first day this year I was shooting with just a jumper on , although it didn't last long as we are back to cold , gloomy weather.

Your dog look in peak condition and have got the looks of a perfect gundog , and well done on the doubles.

Where was the other half of N / Norfolk hot shot duo M + M ?

Motty was at work, but he had a go on Friday.Woodie is a very good fowling dog strong and very fit but he has a very strange scatter brain,super keen and has a strane way of knowing were a planed out goose has gone. I planed one out on a tide flight and sent him for it he was gone over 25 minutes and I was by now up to my waist in the sea,I daren't leave him but was getting a tad nervous only for him to come swimming back with the pink,he repeated this twice more during the season,not bad for a young dog.

Edited by muncher

11 minutes ago, muncher said:

Motty was at work, but he had a go on Friday.Woodie is a very good fowling dog strong and very fit but he has a very strange scatter brain,super keen and has a strane way of knowing were a planed out goose has gone. I planed one out on a tide flight and sent him for it he was gone over 25 minutes and I was by now up to my waist in the sea,I daren't leave him but was getting a tad nervous only for him to come swimming back with the pink,he repeated this twice more during the season,not bad for a young dog.

That retrieve he made on that wigeon when you came down to me was something else! 350-400yds against a strong ebbing tide and not marked either?

I want Woodie..a touch of the athlete there;He reminds me of Big Al's dog Ted.Same determination & athleticism,& they do it all for your praise. Five doubles in a row should have lifted your heart after being ousted from your first choice & then had to work hard for your shooting.This wet weather makes any moving of hides & gear a daunting prospect,trudging through cloggy mud.

I hope you had another 'double' back in front of the fire after such a good day.

This weather is driving me crazy as far as getting out is concerned

22 hours ago, Wilksy II said:

Great shooting muncher, I’ll try that, moving hides when it drys up

Changing hide position can make all the difference. Though I am loathed to do it, it can make the difference between no shooting whatsoever and a good bag.

I have shot most of the fields I go on a number of years now and you get to know where the prime decoying positions are in different wind positions , on the day I plan to shoot I will sit and watch for a little while before I cart my gear and set up , with me only going now for 3 / 4 hours I like to get it right first time , although during the duration you are there , things can and do go wrong , like the wind changing directions , hedge cutting or work being done to close to your set up.

If by then I have only got a small amount of time I will up stumps and call it a day , on the other hand , if I had only just started I will grin and bear it and move lock stock and barrel to a more likely spot .

2 hours ago, motty said:

Changing hide position can make all the difference. Though I am loathed to do it, it can make the difference between no shooting whatsoever and a good bag.

Yeah it’s only out of bone idleness that I haven’t, but if possible I.e horses/houses I’ll give it go

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I really dislike moving my hide position. Not only is it hard work it is an admission of failure.

In my early days , If that was the case I would have to admit failure more times than I got it right , them moving up to the next level , because I nearly got it right and I was getting some shooting I stayed put where I knew by moving I could have most probably got more shooting  although at times through unforeseen circumstances or very poor judgement I did move , whereas this day and age I am never in no hurry and I know each field fairly well so getting it wrong and have to move is possible, but highly unlikely .