Scopes now people, lol.....

atyl1972

Hey all, good day to you. I need a small lightweight scope to go on a AA S510 TDR to stay in theme with the weight of the gun, dont want to pay a fortune something like below or an equivalent would be ok. And yes for all of you that have seen my previous posts I am still getting the FX and that already comes with an Airmax 30SF so just need one for the lighter rifle, any suggestions would be great, thanks. 

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103341-nikko-stirling-mountmaster-4-12x50-ao-ir-rifle-scope-nmmi41250ao/#.Wst6Iy-ZMcg

Ok so first thing you need to know is. .

What cal .? 

And which pellet .type  (Roughly .ie heavy,  light or wad cutter .) 

And how do you want to mount it .lower as poss (say for ratting ) or higher is ok .

You say you want it light ? And i guess a bit shorter. 

So a 32 -44 mm lens would mean you can mount it lower and save weight and it should be a bit shorter than say a 50 mm .

Id look at a hawke 2-7 x 32 

Or a 3-9 x40 

Look at the ret options and dial them into chairgun and figure out if they will work with you pellet choice .and scope height .

Every scope ive ever bought has had this worked out before i parted with money .

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

What cal .? 

And how do you want to mount it .lower as poss (say for ratting ) or higher is ok .

So a 32 -44 mm lens would mean you can mount it lower and save weight and it should be a bit shorter than say a 50 mm .

Or a 3-9 x40 

Look at the ret options and dial them into chairgun and figure out if they will work with you pellet choice .and scope height .

Every scope ive ever bought has had this worked out before i parted with money .

Ok, .177 to start with, not sure about pellet yet until I run them through some groups (allegedly the gun likes air arms diablo), yes as low to the barrel as its easier to zero for accuracy isn't it? This chairgun malarky mate, I have no idea what you're on about, I'm a newbie remember, lol..deffo a Hawke though yeah?

3 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Ok, .177 to start with, not sure about pellet yet until I run them through some groups (allegedly the gun likes air arms diablo), yes as low to the barrel as its easier to zero for accuracy isn't it? This chairgun malarky mate, I have no idea what you're on about, I'm a newbie remember, lol..deffo a Hawke though yeah?

Obviously to start I'll be at the range and doing some plinking and simply getting used to airgun shooting before I go out on a perm, once I get one that is but luckily I know someone that has horses so I can use their field when horses are elsewhere, so definitely rabbiting and getting used to the various ranges that comes with hunting.

14 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

What cal .? 

Or a 3-9 x40 

What I will ask your advice though is regarding a scope, is it easier to set up with an AO scope, like eye relief etc, and getting a wider field of view like a 44mm or 50 objective?

Or .

IMG_20180409_212624.jpg

IMG_20180409_212553.jpg

As you can see .i really rate the hawke ballistic rets over a mildot scope .

So either an sr6 or map6. .map6a  .srpro  or. Sr12 .

A mildot /    1/2 mildot is ok uo to a point .usually about 2 dots down until its starts running out. 

So more tricky for long range work .imo 

It definatly works best with hawke scopes. 

Though it can be adapted to other  scope rets to a degree. 

14 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

You'll be needing one with at least Adjustable Objective (AO) or Side Focus (SF) that will ideally focus down to about 10 yards if you propose to use NV at ratting ranges on it.

Yes definitely be using in the future NV for ratting and rabbits. 

20 hours ago, atyl1972 said:

so you can recommend, what is about the AO that people rave about, is it solely for easy eye relief?

Starting out you dont need it. So go cheaper and lighter with a fixed 3-9 x40.

Later on you will see the slight improvement in image quality and reduction of parallax that AO provides. So for your Crown get a Hawke ideally with side focus, which is easier to adjust.

1 hour ago, DC177 said:

Starting out you dont need it. So go cheaper and lighter with a fixed 3-9 x40.

Later on you will see the slight improvement in image quality and reduction of parallax that AO provides. So for your Crown get a Hawke ideally with side focus, which is easier to adjust.

I assume you skipped past the bit about him intending to use night vision on the scope?  :)

An ability to adjust focus will allow his add on night vision to focus sharply at different ranges.

So to be fair. If you are shooting by day only .most people set there modest scopes (3-9  4 -12 x  ) at one parrelax  setting . (With either the ao .or sf .  See explanation above ) and leave it for most of there shooting .i set mine at my zero distance .so for a ..22 sub 12 that would be 25 yds .or a fac  40 or 45 yds. 

This should provide enough image clarity to see your targets on max zoom for most your hunting ranges .so from say 15 - 50 yds .

If you want to shoot close range 8 yd rats .your nit gonna be using max zoom .of 12 x.most likely minimum  .of 3x .so as dof .increases with reduced mag .you still wont need to adjust your ao /sf .

So a simple 3-9x40 non ao scope that you can easily reset your self to your preferred distance .177 - 30 /35 yds .

Would be sufficent .

Now if you want to pop a nv add on to the scop.then the ao /sf. Will definatly help .as the above advice goes out the window .nv has an inherently narrow dof.and often. You need to refocus just to see an image clearly .5 yds different from another. .

Ps also the Nv messes with the focus distances set during the day and shortens them (strangely ) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2018 at 17:29, Ultrastu said:

So to be fair. If you are shooting by day only .most people set there modest scopes (3-9  4 -12 x  ) at one parrelax  setting . (With either the ao .or sf .  See explanation above ) and leave it for most of there shooting .i set mine at my zero distance .so for a ..22 sub 12 that would be 25 yds .or a fac  40 or 45 yds. 

This should provide enough image clarity to see your targets on max zoom for most your hunting ranges .so from say 15 - 50 yds .

If you want to shoot close range 8 yd rats .your nit gonna be using max zoom .of 12 x.most likely minimum  .of 3x .so as dof .increases with reduced mag .you still wont need to adjust your ao /sf .

So a simple 3-9x40 non ao scope that you can easily reset your self to your preferred distance .177 - 30 /35 yds .

Would be sufficent .

Now if you want to pop a nv add on to the scop.then the ao /sf. Will definatly help .as the above advice goes out the window .nv has an inherently narrow dof.and often. You need to refocus just to see an image clearly .5 yds different from another. .

Ps also the Nv messes with the focus distances set during the day and shortens them (strangely ) 

just wondering if you've used an app called Strelok before, bit like chair gun but simpler apparently. 

44 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

just wondering if you've used an app called Strelok before, bit like chair gun but simpler apparently. 

Dont over-think it. Keep to Hawke.