Air Arms S510 TDR Anyone?

atyl1972

Hi, Does anyone own an Air Arms S510 TDR in this forum, reviews on YT seem excellent but unsure of their bias, owner reviews cannot be beaten?

If so, can you please let me know what it's like, and what scope you use, If I purchase the gun I'd like to use a lightweight scope to keep in with the theme of the gun itself.

Been looking into the Nikko Sterling Mountmaster series, so gonna carry on with some reviews now.:good:

Hah .

When i get some time to do any shooting at all .ive got so much work on at the mo im working 7 days a week and often  10 - 12 hrs a day .

Im shattered 

Just done a 12 hr day today and a concrete pour that started at 5 .30 this evening 

Do you shoot shotgun also ? 

Just now, DC177 said:

I've lost count lol.

don't be like that, I love guns, I have GAS seriously, I need to stop looking at the *******, but seriously I cant wait a month until the fx turns up without shooting, and learning of course, fancy going up local club with an fx crown with no clue what I'm doing, lol. gotta get the practice in

Fair enough. I do recommend that you buy a good springer. Everyone should have one to improve their shooting skills. A HW95k for example is only £300. This will keep you busy while you wait for those Swedish elves to finish their handiwork.

Just now, Mice! said:

not allowed to suggest he gets a springer he gets upset, even though it would help massively, read an article a while back that said exactly that, everyone should still own a springer because shooting a pcp is far too simple? Made me think.

and there he is again, trying to bring people down, a little keyboard warrior comes out to play, ive had a lot of good advice on here and a lot of ****, and yours sir have been nothing but ****

9 hours ago, DC177 said:

Fair enough. I do recommend that you buy a good springer. Everyone should have one to improve their shooting skills. A HW95k for example is only £300. This will keep you busy while you wait for those Swedish elves to finish their handiwork.

I’ve had all sorts of air rifles/pistols over the years, my main gun now Air Arms S410, I also have a BSA Air Sporter, had that for about 50 years, I also had a .177 “Jelly”?? with open sights, when I was a nipper I could shoot the balls off a gnat with it at 30 yards, my question is (and it might be obvious to some) how does a springer improve their shooting skills?

Just now, old'un said:

I’ve had all sorts of air rifles/pistols over the years, my main gun now Air Arms S410, I also have a BSA Air Sporter, had that for about 50 years, I also had a .177 “Jelly”?? with open sights, when I was a nipper I could shoot the balls off a gnat with it at 30 yards, my question is (and it might be obvious to some) how does a springer improve their shooting skills?

This is what bugs the **** outa me when people say that cos I'm new, it makes no difference other than it has ever so slightly more recoil, so yes I get the point but it's not gonna make anyone a better shooter. this is my opinion anyway and having shot both kinds over the last month or so, maybe also to do with the fact that you take your eye off the target every time obviously, but my eye isn't always on the target shooting a pcp anyway....

10 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

This is what bugs the **** outa me when people say that cos I'm new, it makes no difference other than it has ever so slightly more recoil, so yes I get the point but it's not gonna make anyone a better shooter. this is my opinion anyway and having shot both kinds over the last month or so, maybe also to do with the fact that you take your eye off the target every time obviously, but my eye isn't always on the target shooting a pcp anyway....

No, it does not bug the **** outa me, broad shoulders mate…..it’s a genuine question and I hope someone with more experience than me can give me an answer.

I would think it is about dealing with recoil (which would only be an issue if you started to use a springer after learning with pcp) or maybe the fact that you can go out with 500 pellets and plink away to your hearts content without worrying about shot count. :lol::lol: 

Ok .so .just to quantify ive shot competed and hunted with airguns for 35 years. 

My shooting buddy and i both own pcps and springers. When i shoot his pcps say at 40 yd zero. The pellet lands where it should same place it did for him and same when he shoots my pcps. 

When i shoot his springer , then the pellet will group some where different to where it groups for him often up to 2.5 inches away from his group .clearly this is to do with the gun and not the shooter. 

The reason is that the different  shooters have a big bearing on where the pellet lands . (Obviously  the gun started off being pointed in the same direction for both shooters. ) 

Now i know my mate wont mind me saying this. But he isnt the best shot with a spring gun and has tried many times in the past to shoot a quality springer well .and given up and sold em on .and returned back to pcps . Why ? Cos they are easier to shoot .being much much more forgiving to group them well where you want them to .

So .the skills required to shoot Springer well take a long time to master and understand. These skills are still useful to the pcp shooter as many are still required to get the best from your pcp Just to a lesser degree 

So would owning a quality  springer improve your pcp and overall shooting ability ? .ABSOLUTLY WITHOUT QUESTION 

i curently own 3 spring rifles and they keep me sharp .

In a pcp .you aim and pull the trigger .the small spring pushes  the hammer forward(slight recoil )  and the air is released further pushing( recoil) the gun backwards .the pellet then exits the sight picture stays the same .the end .

In a springer. 

You aim. pull the trigger .the the huge spring pushes the heavy piston forward the gun recoils backwards the barrel goes upwards . The pellet starts to move .the piston bounces off the cushion of  air sendingvthe gun forwards (surge ) . (Barrel twists and drops ) then then the pellet exits .Your site picture has now changed. 

How  and where you hold the gun during all this bouncing around depends on where the muzzle is pointing when the pellets exits it .

Keep the hold consistent and it should be the same place each time 

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

In a pcp .you aim and pull the trigger .the small spring pushes  the hammer forward(slight recoil )  and the air is released further pushing( recoil) the gun backwards .the pellet then exits the sight picture stays the same .the end .

In a springer. 

You aim. pull the trigger .the the huge spring pushes the heavy piston forward the gun recoils backwards the barrel goes upwards . The pellet starts to move .the piston bounces off the cushion of  air sendingvthe gun forwards (surge ) . (Barrel twists and drops ) then then the pellet exits .Your site picture has now changed. 

How  and where you hold the gun during all this bouncing around depends on where the muzzle is pointing when the pellets exits it .

Keep the hold consistent and it should be the same place each time 

I was always told that the pellet as left the muzzle before the ram hits the breach?

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If i can find the article i will take a pic, but it might take a few days because I'm in no rush.

Hopefully now that Stu has explained it brilliantly you will understand what i and others have been saying.

as for keyboard warrior ?? 

You little warrior you.;)