Bird habitat improvement?

getthegat

Just wondering if anyone else feels that the bird population and variety of species has improved and is it down to habitat or is it the birds adapting better to what's on offer. Around our workshop we have; Robins, Wrens, Bluetits, Coaltits, Wagtails, Blackcaps, Thrushes, Blackbirds, Heron, Shellduck, Mallard, Pigeons, Collardove, Skylarks, Yellow Hammer, Various other finches, of course crows and Jackdaws, Woodcock, Pheasants, Partridge, Hares, we sometimes get geese fly over and Swans, Magpies, plus mice under the containers and I'm sure a few other species I've forgotten and I'm fairly certain one day I saw a Nightjar. I've noticed Monkjac tracks and even had a fox walk through the field in broad daylight no more than 150 yards from our office. It's lovely to see the song birds doing so well and hope this is a trend in other areas.

The feral pigeon have certainly boomed this year! As has the local gull population! Mainly down to solar panels offering dry warm nesting, and the local scrotes tossing their McDonalds remnants out of the cars for the food! Also the gulls have an easy meal for the same reasons! Chips, burgers and the like! I swear the early morning chorus here is the McDonalds theme tune from the gulls :rolleyes: 

Edited by Lord Geordie

feral pigeons and gulls back in time when I was a lad :) the council organised a  cull of these birds on a Sunday night in Blyth cos you couldn't get moved for them around the bus station and as for starlings they used to be a black cloud at dusk over the roof tops so maybe not such a new thing.

Can't say we have many feral pigeons, but we do often get a few gulls, both of which get a barrel full when ever we're out. Just come back from our evening dog walk (without a gun) and Soph put up a nice fox and gave chase for a few hundred yards. Lots of pigeon on the trees, not sure whether they were early roosters, after a few last ivy berries or what. In the late sun, no humans about, the air is full of bird song........, lovely.