Reading

Scully

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Line Upon A Wind -the greatest war fought at sea under sail 1793-1815, by Noel Mostert

About 3/4 the way through and if you like your history well-researched and detailed, it's a good read. A bit dry in spots, nevertheless there's some fascinating stuff in there. My next queued book is Operation Mincemeat - Ben Macintyre- 'the true spy story that changed the course of WW2' It gets good reviews and paging through it, it looks interesting. 

I think it's an age thing, but other than old PG Wodehouse or the occasional revisited classic I can't get into fiction these days. Much prefer history or biography.

2 hours ago, Zetter said:

Warhammer 40K Gaunts Ghosts love a bit of old time SiFi

Great books, still not read the whole series though, read up to traitor general a few times that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Jbob said:

This makes me want to break out the my Sharpe books again. 

Their my go to quick reads if I'm without a book, read one hornblower and quite fancy reading the rest.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

There's a few! Great reads though.

I've collected the whole series over the years. Think a Sharpe binge is in order.

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Their my go to quick reads if I'm without a book, read one hornblower and quite fancy reading the rest.

This is why I like them. Not hard to read but very enjoyable. I believe Bernard Cornwall did a lot of leg work researching the battles and battle ground form each one.

3 hours ago, Jbob said:

This is why I like them. Not hard to read but very enjoyable. I believe Bernard Cornwall did a lot of leg work researching the battles and battle ground form each one.

yes you read the book then the historical notes at the end, really ties everything together. Kids were watching the TV series with me a few weeks ago, i turned it off when folk started getting shot, kids when through the channels and put it back on ? 

On 10/04/2018 at 20:37, Velocette said:

Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household,,,,,a phenomenal escape and pursuit story.

Was just about to suggest this, it is sensational and I can not recommend enough.

I hear that Benedict Cumberbatch has bought the film rights,  which fills me with dread as the book is perfection and ought to be left well alone. 

1 hour ago, treetree said:

Was just about to suggest this, it is sensational and I can not recommend enough.

I hear that Benedict Cumberbatch has bought the film rights,  which fills me with dread as the book is perfection and ought to be left well alone. 

There's already a film of the book.