SIDE BY SIDE RESURGENCE??? BUT PRICES !!!!!!

oldypigeonpopper

Hello, while sat here looking out the window on a dreary day having another cuppa while peruse ing this fine forum, and  having  seen on PW  sales ads for nice older spanish boxlocks  has this market realy out lost to the very popular O/U semi auto, or pumper, i spoke to a RFD monday who has a room full of unwanted S/S going for scrap:rolleyes:,  back in the early 1970s i saved realy hard to buy my very first spanish 12 bore  an ASI  yeoman boxlock non ejector for £38.50 and that was an early import, 45 years on and you can buy one or other make for very little money even BOGOF from some ads i see, so to us older generation on PW can you remember what you paid  for yours? or anyone remember what price for the  english equivalent, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be an interesting thread. I cant contribute to the question but i love my SxS. I wonder if anyone would know its original price new circa 1975

Victor sarasqueta 12ec

Its a sidelock, 26" churchil rib with articulating trigger. I paid £550 a couple of years ago.

PS

Yes its odd why the market is so poor for what are propper game guns. Perhaps if the likes of Dave Carrie were to use on they would suddenly become desirable for all.

My first was a single barrel Baikal 12 gauge, couldn't afford a double. Cost was £13.00 from a music shop in the Arcade in Bristol. In those days no big SGC just a folded bit of card stamped by the issuing constabulary, still got it somewhere.  I was as proud as punch. First pigeon I shot with it, I don`t know who was more surprised, it or me? Had the usual problem of the ejector over riding the cartridge rim, so had to carry a 3 piece cleaning rod with me in the field or I couldn`t carry on terrorising the pigeon population. Happy days.

Edited by Flyboy1950

5 minutes ago, ips said:

This will be an interesting thread. I cant contribute to the question but i love my SxS. I wonder if anyone would know its original price new circa 1975

Victor sarasqueta 12ec

Its a sidelock, 26" churchil rib with articulating trigger. I paid £550 a couple of years ago.

PS

Yes its odd why the market is so poor for what are propper game guns. Perhaps if the likes of Dave Carrie were to use on they would suddenly become desirable for all.

hello ips, i do hope we can get some interesting replies, are you sure it is a 12 EC ? i have the Victor S 6EC and same description, ? 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, while sat here looking out the window on a dreary day having another cuppa while peruse ing this fine forum, and  having  seen on PW  sales ads for nice older spanish boxlocks  has this market realy out lost to the very popular O/U semi auto, or pumper, i spoke to a RFD monday who has a room full of unwanted S/S going for scrap,  back in the early 1970s i saved realy hard to buy my very first spanish 12 bore  an ASI  yeoman boxlock non ejector for £38.50 and that was an early import, 45 years on and you can buy one or other make for very little money even BOGOF from some ads i see, so to us older generation on PW can you remember what you paid  for yours? or anyone remember what price for the  english equivalent, 

think this post should have gone in general shooting matters ????

I am a big fan of my Sxs guns. One for clays, one for pigeon (big kiss to my PigeonWatch gifter, you know who you are). I flatter myself I've been instrumental in increasing the number of ladies with side by sides entering the two championships. The only trouble is that RFDs see you coming and heft up the price. I am green enough to pay £100+ for my Baikal, but some dealer was asking £400 for the same model! So if you know anyone selling reasonable priced sxs, let me know, I'll share the link. 

47 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I am a big fan of my Sxs guns. One for clays, one for pigeon (big kiss to my PigeonWatch gifter, you know who you are). I flatter myself I've been instrumental in increasing the number of ladies with side by sides entering the two championships. The only trouble is that RFDs see you coming and heft up the price. I am green enough to pay £100+ for my Baikal, but some dealer was asking £400 for the same model! So if you know anyone selling reasonable priced sxs, let me know, I'll share the link. 

hello, thankyou to reply, that is good to hear regarding more lady shooters, oh yes i have a nice S X S on oxford free ads for sale ?  it maybe more suitable for a lady shooter as the LOP is 14 inches, 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, while sat here looking out the window on a dreary day having another cuppa while peruse ing this fine forum, and  having  seen on PW  sales ads for nice older spanish boxlocks  has this market realy out lost to the very popular O/U semi auto, or pumper, i spoke to a RFD monday who has a room full of unwanted S/S going for scrap,  back in the early 1970s i saved realy hard to buy my very first spanish 12 bore  an ASI  yeoman boxlock non ejector for £38.50 and that was an early import, 45 years on and you can buy one or other make for very little money even BOGOF from some ads i see, so to us older generation on PW can you remember what you paid  for yours? or anyone remember what price for the  english equivalent, 

My first S/S was also a brand new yeoman £49.19s. 6d . Last year I bought a very nice 100yr old T Wild, with 3inch chambers for £750, [ I wonder what that was new]

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

My first S/S was also a brand new yeoman £49.19s. 6d . Last year I bought a very nice 100yr old T Wild, with 3inch chambers for £750, [ I wonder what that was new]

hello, that must have been mid 1970s?  after i bought mine they had a slight increase to just under the £50 you mentioned, 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello ips, i do hope we can get some interesting replies, are you sure it is a 12 EC ? i have the Victor S 6EC and same description, ? 

I might be wrong then my friend. On thinking about it i seem to remember that one of them has engraving onto the barrells, mine doesnt ??

11 minutes ago, matone said:

6EC was £140 in `73....

Thanks for info, thats great it means i can justify future gun purchases to the mrs purely as investments ?

My W Leech & Sons (Damascus barrels, semi pistol grip, 28” barrels) first sold for £25 in 1907 and still shoots like a dream - but the gun company (still working out of Chelmsford) said that they couldn’t tell me who they sold it to as it breached customer confidentiality ?

14 minutes ago, NYorks said:

My W Leech & Sons (Damascus barrels, semi pistol grip, 28” barrels) first sold for £25 in 1907 and still shoots like a dream - but the gun company (still working out of Chelmsford) said that they couldn’t tell me who they sold it to as it breached customer confidentiality ?

That's ridiculous; Purdey let me see the records for the Woodward (pictured): bought as 1 of 3 for Colonel Charles Napier Sturt in 1882, his 50th birthday year

16 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Always thought these  newfangled over and unders were just a passing fad :yes:

There is an old saying which goes something like.........if you keep something for long enough it will come back into fashion! for me the SBS never went out of fashion! :good:

paid about £40 for my first Spanish 12  in 1978 , there were more guns in second hand shops if I remember just rows of em ,

we use to buy one for a couple of weeks , then take it back and have some think else it was great plenty of English  sxs's hammer guns ah those were the days sob sob.

Dad got me my first gun 16 s/b/s from Stensbys Manchester when I was still at school. A Manton Calcutta Delhi with cleaning gear and cartridges .£35.Cartridges were paper cases with RTO.Got my second gun off pest officer at 16 for £12 live pigeon hammer gun with 2 sets of barrels bored  f/f and I/c and I/c . Maker AJ  Russel .

5 hours ago, clakk said:

Bosher,bosher and bosher again ,a grand supplier of SBS and other forms of shotgun.Mick off here Rabbitbosher has many a bargin in his cave of iniquity and pleasure atb

Yes I bought a mint Spanish sxs from him for something silly like £70 , it kicked like a mule but after a butpad fitted its a lovely light gun to shoot a few clays or a days walk up shooting