SIDE BY SIDE RESURGENCE??? BUT PRICES !!!!!!

oldypigeonpopper

14 minutes ago, button said:

Now that is a bargain

I got lucky i think. I have spent a few hours on the woodwork and had the barrels reblacked.  I just missed out on an AYA No2 sidelock which went for £340 at the same auction it was a lovely gun.

762A76B3-0562-4B84-A9D2-3ACD21E6E93B.jpeg

Edited by SlimRick

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SlimRick said:

It’s a Gorosabel Silver Deluxe. Bought at auction in Feb for £30 + buyers premium of £7. Such a lot of gun for the money. 

hello, what auction was that slimrick ? i know there a 4 a year at Netherhampton sale rooms Southern Counties Auctioneers near Salisbury

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 11 April 2018 at 09:57, ips said:

This will be an interesting thread. I cant contribute to the question but i love my SxS. I wonder if anyone would know its original price new circa 1975

Victor sarasqueta 12ec

Its a sidelock, 26" churchil rib with articulating trigger. I paid £550 a couple of years ago.

PS

Yes its odd why the market is so poor for what are propper game guns. Perhaps if the likes of Dave Carrie were to use on they would suddenly become desirable for all.

I hankered after such a gun when I was 16 in 1975. It was £119 (brand new!) and I couldn't afford it buying instead a Laurona BLE for £105! 

16 hours ago, button said:

They look excellent value mind you add import costs and VAT that soon changed

Luckily have manged to find a new uggie 20 bore with 30 in barrels which is old stock so happy chappie!

Stunning wood

Do you know or have you every contacted AYA to establish the model or if it was a special order?

I did but it is too early for their records.  It has a file cut rib and came with 2 sets of barrels, 28 and 30 inch both 3/4 / Full, I have had the 28 inch opened to 1/4 & 1/2.  I shot it last season on Game and used the 30 inch barrels, using 30 grm Hull 6's it worked very well just avoided any shots under 25 yards or so which is no bad thing and had no problem with excess damage it just killed things very well.   Really enjoy using it after years shooting an O/U, had it fitted as I am a leftie and it was too low for me also.  Would have posted more pics if it would let me. 

Edited by JRDS

On 4/11/2018 at 20:48, AYA117 said:

My first Side by Side that I shot and used was my fathers E.M. Reilly Damascus hammer gun ! I think I was about 12, I have only used a Side by Side since then. These Over and Unders will never catch on, so keep hold of your 'proper' gun as it will go up in value when they all realise 

It wasn't by any chance a side-lever?  I was fortunate enough to find one a few years ago, and it's by far and away the most special gun in the cabinet (none of which have stacked barrels!).

Sadly, where I shoot we still seem to be seeing side by sides diminishing in numbers to the extent that it's not unusual for me to be the only one out with one.  Even the old boys who have shot SxSs for years seem to be turning to the dark side.  Personally I blame the obsession with heavy loads... so it's good to see the love for the old ways here! :good:

Having shot someone's black powder gun for the first time last year, I'm actually thinking of going even more luddite..!

11 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Another little trip down memory lane. A BSA ejector for £14-17-6p !!!!!

image.jpeg.7475b5991faaaf005cc85014e5d3aba2.jpeg

Had a S/H one of those. Great guns, but not too sure of their longetivity as they had aluminium actions. Also, ejected the cartridge whether fired or not. A lot better than some other singles at the time though. Got one for my lad years later when he was about 12. He got his first duck with it. Very proud moment for us both.

Thanks for the reminder JJs Dad. Any more old adverts ?

OB

On 11 April 2018 at 11:15, clakk said:

Bosher,bosher and bosher again ,a grand supplier of SBS and other forms of shotgun.Mick off here Rabbitbosher has many a bargin in his cave of iniquity and pleasure atb

Couldn't agree more.

I have had a few from him and they are priced to sell.

He has been quiet recently but I keep looking.

3 hours ago, redial said:

Couldn't agree more.

I have had a few from him and they are priced to sell.

He has been quiet recently but I keep looking.

Another +1 for Bosher he really is a top bloke. 

Had my sxs 16 bore hammer gun off him, love at first sight. 

I think my missus along with the bank balance are glad he's too far away for regular trips haha. 

6 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Had a S/H one of those. Great guns, but not too sure of their longetivity as they had aluminium actions. Also, ejected the cartridge whether fired or not. A lot better than some other singles at the time though. Got one for my lad years later when he was about 12. He got his first duck with it. Very proud moment for us both.

Thanks for the reminder JJs Dad. Any more old adverts ?

OB

hello, me to as well as a cooey and greener gp

If you could run to something slightly better than a £14 single back in the early 60s, how about a brand new WW Greener. You could even stipulate a normal top-safety rather than than that `trademark` but awkward side safety !!  All wishful thinking as my budget didnt get anywhere near £90.

image.jpeg.0912ddce36d7f5e77498ab5d35e44518.jpeg

Thanks to JJsDad, I have been able to upload an advert from ShootingTimes from 1948 which may be of interest to those who owned/still own a Greener GP. Also, how about a Christmas Pressie from Churchills ?

5ad397c273ec1_STNov_27th.1948001.jpg.dbe8fde4244dd23d9e38120b8b5436a4.jpg5ad3973f37ee0_STAug.21st1948001.jpg.332f896e3ec18211596a6941bb5559a4.jpg

hello, talking of side by sides i could not resist a nice O/U yesterday for less that the price of a 1000 cartridges, :rolleyes:will have to find a good home for my franchi AL48:good:

17 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Just to prove that the LACS were trying to ban our sport 70 years ago !!5ad39af1e8291_STAug14th.1948001.jpg.6365bffe06a9a9a48a0daac816702062.jpg

THANKS FOR SHARING OB, now would it be good if any PW member still had an ally pigeon decoy, i started like many i know with thick rubber jobbiesand am sure not long after some shells, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

17 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Now that i`ve got the hang of this uploading malarky, here`s some more 5ad399074bedb_STApril24th.1948001.jpg.4ec7ca786d1596ca93a9f301c12086a7.jpg

Thanks for posting these old adverts, very interesting. As for the XXV being 'easier to shoot with' and 'handles like a twenty and shoots as hard as a ten'... :hmm::lol: :lol: (love my XXV by the way!)