Fallow Haunch Advice

OddJob

I tend to cook haunches rare as possible so my advice may not be the best but I have done shoulders and hocks so that they fall off the bone as you describe, You kind of need the sinewy stuff I think to give it texture. 

I would do it in a slow cooker or a casserole dish in the oven as low temp and long as possible as If you do it whole you'll need a bloody big slow cooker! 

There's a recipe on Stalking Directory for Muntjac Cassoulet which is quite nice. I add a tablespoon of tomato puree to mine. 

It might need a bit of adapting for a haunch in the oven but It should work. 

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/144580-Muntjac-Cassoulet?highlight=muntjac+cassoulet

Well. to start I bone mine out. This then enables me to stuff it before cooking, but 48hrs prior to that, even sometime a day longer, I will marinate it in a mixture of strong cider or last week I used some very strong Polish beer, PAKKI something  9%,  rub the haunch all over with brown sugar mixed with a special Cajun mix I get in from the States, Worcester Sauce, maple syrup.  Turn it over every three or four hours or when you remember.   I then stuff it with a mixed herb stuffing and tie it up and cover with smoked streaky bacon.

With a very large haunch such as you have you will probably not get it in a standard 'chicken brick' roaster which I use for roasting everything including vegetables.  A covered roaster is essential in my view or wrap it securely in foil, but not as good.  Lakeland sell the chicken brick type roasters and they are brilliant the meat comes out nicely glazed.  Start it off on a high setting for an hour  200 then reduce to 180 check after 1 1/2 hrs with a meat thermometer and when it reaches beef medium take it out and let it rest a while before serving.

Use some of the juices from the roaster to make the gravy.

Very little left when I cook it for guests.  I use the same marinade when I braise venison of any kind. Some muntie shoulder meat last week just melted in your mouth. 

If you or have friends visiting the Southern States of the USA, then have a look for Tony Chattery's Original Cajun Mix. It is superb on anything, even sprinkled on chips prior to frying.