270 VS 308

Lloyd90

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet realistically you wouldn't notice a lot of difference between the two while stalking/shooting at normal ranges, say sub 300yds. 

Personally I'd pick whichever one was easier to get ammo for in your area but then you say you homeload. 

.270 has a slightly snappier recoil but not really noticeable if the rifle is moderated. 

I used both for stalking for many years , in my opinion they are both the altermate stalking round . The .270 hits a bit harder than the .308 and is a bit louder and shoot a bit flatter . The .308 is more versatile in the ammo area as there are more choice of bullet weights . Both are very easy to reload for . The 130 grain .270 bullet will kill any thing very dead as will the 150 grain .308 bullet . There really is nothing to choose between them .my brief whilst out stalking was a fox before a deer . You should see what both bullets will do to old Reynard 

harnser

10 hours ago, walshie said:

The 308 is nicer to shoot than the 270 iMO and more selection of ammo.

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

308 for me more versatile with loads of bullet options factory ammo available in any gunshop in the the world.  Smoother to shoot than the 270 and easier on barrels. 

That's pretty much where I stand!

:good:

Which ammo you can get easier, both do the same job at the same distances, I've used a 270 for @9 years now and love it, it is a marmite round though and fully understand some people are bothered by the so called harder kick, I don't notice any difference having used a 308 a couple of times, but I can get 270 ammo all the time near me.

s

Like Harnser have had both although I definately preferred the 270.

Didn't find bullet choice an issue as only using 130 & 140g.

130g @ 2800 fps, using H4895 , fantastic all rounder.

For Reds I'd use full bat 140's.

Wasn't shooting vast amounts of ammo so barrel wear not a problem.

Both make foxes very dead.

I think only one downside of the .270 is they are harder to sell on.

Edited by Robertt

The deer or fox won't know any difference on how "flat" one shoots against the other nor on retained energy and neither will the shooter...the differences are really not that much at all and any distance a vast majority will use them with in the UK.   Buy instead based on which you can get plentiful reliable ammo for or reload for and enjoy shooting.

If you prefer a shorter barrel for carrying around, the .308 would be less noisy at say 20 inch barrel length.  Both really benefit from moderating anyway for noise reduction and controlling recoil.

I have a 308 and have shot a 270 and contrary to internet wisdom, I noticed little, if any, difference in recoil.  Using similar weight bullets, the 270  I think was shooting about 200fps quicker (3000fps using 150gr V's 2800fps for the 308 shooting 155gr), drops were little different between it and 308 to 300 yds.  270 drop was about 11 or 12 inches to group centre at 300 yds, compared with the 308 at just under 13.5 inches so barely more than an inch and a half different which puts the "flatter shooting" into some sort of context!  Bullet BCs were a little different though, but at 300 yds that wasn't going to make a hell of a lot of difference. Point is that for stalking and vermin control, you'll barely notice any difference.

Purely from a versatility and sale-ability point of view, the .308 might be the one to pick plus there are lots more rifles to choose from in .308 as well.

Edited by Savhmr

16 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm going to purchase a .308, mainly because I can get ammunition for £45 / 1000. It's not match grade of course, but is good enough for general target shooting. I also reload, so will probably reload some as well, but the cost would be more than 45p per round.

Cost of 308 reloaded Steve based on NO annealing and 6 reloads using PPU and sierra matchings (#2155) with CCI200 primers and N140 works out at about 69 to 72p/round.

Bullets are the largest part of the cost so shopping around may see these costs drop to 65p if lucky.

Brass choice is a big factor with some cals.  In 308, lapua is capable of 20 to 30 reloads if annealed. PPU will start to suffer loose primer pockets long before that, perhpas if annealing after 15 to 20 reloads.  Make the loads hot, and you can half that or more.

Use light loads and cheap bullets and you can reload reasonable target ammo for around 60p/round, but that sort of defeats the point of target shooting, as good bullets make a big difference.

You can't compete with £45/1000 reloading though.  That's cheap as chips.

8 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm going to purchase a .308, mainly because I can get ammunition for £45 / 1000. It's not match grade of course, but is good enough for general target shooting. I also reload, so will probably reload some as well, but the cost would be more than 45p per round.

You can buy .308 ammo for £45 per thousand?????? Jeeze I can't find .22rf ammo for that price.

But you couldn't even buy the bullets for that price. Henry Krank are looking for over £240 per thousand just for their cheap PPU FMJ bullet heads.

How the heck can someone be selling the whole round for £47 per K. I think your RFD is having you on ;)

Edited by Graham M

19 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I haven't bought any yet, but that's what an RFD quoted recently. He does buy it in bulk for club members. According to him, it's good quality.

Did you mean to type £45 per 100 Steve? Or genuinely £45 per 1000 (one thousand) ... 

what kind of ammo either way ... 

8 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

£45 per 1000? That's cheap, where the heck are they from? I wouldn't mind a bit of that. 

Cheers 

You couldn't buy any CF ammunition at £45/1000 so it is probably per 100 and that would be super-cheap. Cheapest I ever bought in .308 was £15/20 for Federal (£75/100).  Cheapest CF I've ever bought was £18/50 for some steel cased 223 FMJ training rounds.

Edited by Savhmr

23 minutes ago, Savhmr said:

You couldn't buy any CF ammunition at £45/1000 so it is probably per 100 and that would be super-cheap. Cheapest I ever bought in .308 was £15/20 for Federal (£75/100).  Cheapest CF I've ever bought was £18/50 for some steel cased 223 FMJ training rounds.

Yes, you are correct. It's £45 /100. Apologies. The fact that I came off a night shift this morning and haven't been to bed, plus, I need to visit Specsavers, may have something to do with it! :whistling:

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I hope it’s not from that gunshop in Kenfig Hill Steve ?? they only have them over the phone, none when you arrive 

I wouldn't buy a cap gun from them Lloyd! :)

31 minutes ago, Lampwick said:

£45 per 1000? That's cheap, where the heck are they from? I wouldn't mind a bit of that. 

Cheers 

My error. It's £45 /100. Apologies. I'm not sure of the make as I haven't bought any yet, but will do, once the shooting range has opened.