270 VS 308

Lloyd90

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I used to use a 110 grn JHP in my .308 for fox. Sadly when that monster Hamilton came along I was told that I couldn't use it for fox any more and had to get a .22CF.

And now in the new millennium..........I have AOLQ and could use the same set-up if I wanted to.

As said, a very versatile round.

You can load the .308/7.62 down to gallery rifle velocities for short range target shooting very easily and very accurately.

For 100 yds I use 12 grains of Unique on top of any bullet, jacketed or cast and it is V-Bull accurate. At 200yds and for foxes 16-20 grains of 2400 is again incredibly accurate with either jacketed or cast bullets.

We buy the cast bullets from shellhouse bullet co and they are about £14 a hundred.

These loads would probably work equally well in a .270 but with the .270 there isn't a seemingly bottomless supply of free cases 

22 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, you are correct. It's £45 /100. Apologies. The fact that I came off a night shift this morning and haven't been to bed, plus, I need to visit Specsavers, may have something to do with it!

I wouldn't buy a cap gun from them Lloyd!

My error. It's £45 /100. Apologies. I'm not sure of the make as I haven't bought any yet, but will do, once the shooting range has opened.

Believe it’s the stuff I’m using, the Barnaul 149gn FMJ Ammo, I get it from Proshoot (Brian) in Blackwood, it’s group an inch at 100 yards for me and is far sufficient for any range or target work if you want to keep costs low and extent your distance. The only downside is it is steel cases so can not reload it! Again whether your rifle likes it or not.

905C5D1D-B04C-4F55-9996-61A0FB5E0FC6.jpeg

32 minutes ago, TwoSmokingBarrels said:

Believe it’s the stuff I’m using, the Barnaul 149gn FMJ Ammo, I get it from Proshoot (Brian) in Blackwood, it’s group an inch at 100 yards for me and is far sufficient for any range or target work if you want to keep costs low and extent your distance. The only downside is it is steel cases so can not reload it! Again whether your rifle likes it or not.

Indeed it's the same ammo' and from the same person. I'm waiting for the rifle range to open so that I can join.

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

You can load the .308/7.62 down to gallery rifle velocities for short range target shooting very easily and very accurately.

For 100 yds I use 12 grains of Unique on top of any bullet, jacketed or cast and it is V-Bull accurate. At 200yds and for foxes 16-20 grains of 2400 is again incredibly accurate with either jacketed or cast bullets.

We buy the cast bullets from shellhouse bullet co and they are about £14 a hundred.

These loads would probably work equally well in a .270 but with the .270 there isn't a seemingly bottomless supply of free cases 

When I used to shoot a .270 I had the good fortune of having a mate who used to shoot a 30 -06 . He didn’t reload so he used to give me all his empties . Just a matter of resizing the 30-06 brass through a .270 resizing die and trimming to length.

harnser

Tempted to change it and ask for a 308 now ...  

I am tempted however to just buy factory ammo and shoot that, and save myself all the faff of reloading! I’m going to try some factory stuff through my 243 to see how it groups and then consider my options and the price of it. 

As I’m not shooting hundreds of bullets a year, the £1 a shot VS £0.50 a shot won’t break the bank either way. 

14 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Tempted to change it and ask for a 308 now ...  

I am tempted however to just buy factory ammo and shoot that, and save myself all the faff of reloading! I’m going to try some factory stuff through my 243 to see how it groups and then consider my options and the price of it. 

As I’m not shooting hundreds of bullets a year, the £1 a shot VS £0.50 a shot won’t break the bank either way. 

Let me know where you are getting £1 a shot factory :) I can't get ppu into mine and federal power is £27 a 100. I am just on the process of swapping to reloading to ensure supply and get a better price. Last week neither Braces, Rifleman,  or New Avon had any powershock. 

I was not aware you were shooting so much, to think of swapping the rifle. 

39 minutes ago, oowee said:

Let me know where you are getting £1 a shot factory :) I can't get ppu into mine and federal power is £27 a 100. I am just on the process of swapping to reloading to ensure supply and get a better price. Last week neither Braces, Rifleman,  or New Avon had any powershock. 

I was not aware you were shooting so much, to think of swapping the rifle. 

Newavon have Remington and Sako 100gr for £25 per 20 so £1.25, not bad if your only doing a box or two per year. 

Since being in the club club this is the most shooting I’ve done mate, loving it :) mostly all shotgun so far but had a few invites on shoots too so hoping to help out bashing the foxes etc and also picked up some land down by the airport with fox and Roe, as well as had invites to go on fallow, roe and munty up by Gloucester :) 

I don’t massively need another rifle, but then again neither do a lot of people who have several calibres lol. I put it down and I’ve got 5 years until renewal to either buy one or change my mind. 

have you ever fired either??? this would probably be a good indicator as to what you want purchase. if it was me 308 or more likely 30 06. i shoot a fair bit but have no access to larger deer except the odd invite on red and fallow. so depending on your shooting circumstances  you may have all bases covered with 243. it does more than i need it too

17 hours ago, TwoSmokingBarrels said:

I used the .223 Barnaul years back and was not impressed in my rifle so I guess I wrote off the brand, never actually occurred to me to try any other calibres, but I suspect a box of .308 is worth a try.

I do have certain issues though, they are basically a Russian Military ammo manufacturer and I note their boxes tend to say Imperial calibre with metric afterwards....223 (5.56), .308 (7.62x51).  So there is a ? for me what the stuff really is, on the .308 side I could perhaps live with that.

Enough said, I'm not trying to open that can of worms, let's not go down that route, just a personal observation! :good:

We used a lot of Barnul 308 in the past a few years ago when it was available briefly. We still use their .223 for novices. Its OK at short range but its not for a serious shooter, Its no worse than a lot of surplus ammo we have had over the years, probably better than most. Both PPU and S&B started life as Eastern European military factories.  I suspect Barnul will go the same way. GGG is made in Singapore, but its OK at the shorter ranges and the cases reload beautifully 

33 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Oh ****** ... I’d best ring the FEO back tomorrow and ask him to put 308/7.62 

If they've got any common sense they will anyway! Im also for 308. Federal 150g PowerShok groups half inch at 100 through my rifle and its £22 for 20 so £1.10 a round. Not worth reloading for! Good luck with whatever you choose 

18 minutes ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

If they've got any common sense they will anyway! Im also for 308. Federal 150g PowerShok groups half inch at 100 through my rifle and its £22 for 20 so £1.10 a round. Not worth reloading for! Good luck with whatever you choose 

Question now is ... which rifle to get? 

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Because then you can buy cheap 7.62 ammo if you wish. :good:

308win is 7.62x51 same as 7.62x63 is 30/06 Spr.  No need to to have the bullet diameter listed ie 7.62 

Oh and cheapest 7.62 ammo is 7.62x39 steel case from former USSR

Edited by welshwarrior

42 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

308win is 7.62x51 same as 7.62x63 is 30/06 Spr.  No need to to have the bullet diameter listed ie 7.62 

Oh and cheapest 7.62 ammo is 7.62x39 steel case from former USSR

Try buying 7.62 ammo when you only have 308 on your ticket. Agreed they are the same size, but they aren't "the same."

Saves hassle having both on there.

28 minutes ago, walshie said:

Try buying 7.62 ammo when you only have 308 on your ticket. Agreed they are the same size, but they aren't "the same."

Saves hassle having both on there.

This is what I was told when applying for my FAC. The same with the rifles, one may be stamped 7.62 and one may be stamped .308. If you only have .308 then you wouldn't be able to buy the 7.62.

Target rifles are normally 7.62 and sporting rifles are normally .308 . If you want to reload for .308 then you want to have 7.62 on your ticket as well . This will allow you to load 7.62 head stamped brass as .308 . If you load 7.62 cases for .308 and don’t have 7.62 on your ticket you will be in possession of illegal ammo .

harnser