Grand National

Danger-Mouse

Just a weather update for anyone wanting to back anything this afternoon or tomorrow. I’m currently 40 miles away and it is hurling it down again. And it drizzled most of the night. And as ab aside I’ve left my waterproofs in the wife’s car so I’m going to be very wet and grumpy come lunch time! Take the official going with a pinch of salt the clerk of the course is like all the others in the country and eternally optimistic!!!

Do you know how many horses die in field accidents every day of the week? Do you know how many horses ‘rescued’ from the meat man get to live out their life abject misery in a 10 acre field of weeds and mud? Have you ever tried to make a horse do something it doesn’t want to do? 

The horses running round the National have got a great life doing what they love doing. If they unfortunately get killed Racing then that is very sad but it’s still a better life than a large proportion of horses live in this country. Nobody sends their horse to the National with the intention of killing it. The attrition rate of racehorses ticks along at under 1% which is pretty damn good. And frankly having seen some of the horses I’ve known when they were racing, in some of the places they’ve ended up, they’d have been better off dead.

Sorry to hijack the thread but comments like that really boil my ****. Anyone betting probably wants something fresh that swerved Cheltenham that goes in bad ground. You’re probably going to be looking for one of the outsiders I’d imagine.   

54 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

:good:

Sorry nothing died for you this year, feel free to donate to one of the many charities helping the hundreds of horses that get worked to death in developing countries every day, or starve in a sea of ragwort in this country.  :whistling:

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Sorry nothing died for you this year, feel free to donate to one of the many charities helping the hundreds of horses that get worked to death in developing countries every day, or starve in a sea of ragwort in this country. 

i deal a lot with HILLSIDE animal sanctuary(Norfolk) so i do my bit,google them,just because i shoot does not mean i want everything dead! 

On 4/13/2018 at 20:13, kennett said:

Sorry, but anybody who kills things for a hobby, can't really complain about the National. Kind of a bit hypocritical

Major difference between pest control and forcing a horse to run and jump, then killing it when its had an accident

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Sorry nothing died for you this year, feel free to donate to one of the many charities helping the hundreds of horses that get worked to death in developing countries every day, or starve in a sea of ragwort in this country. 

want to try again Einstein

image.png.58595b06e082b7a9d48f18cd187b62e0.png

15 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

Major difference between pest control and forcing a horse to run and jump, then killing it when its had an accident

want to try again Einstein

image.png.58595b06e082b7a9d48f18cd187b62e0.png

Right I'll start at the top. What about game shooting? Literally breeding something, purely to kill it for fun. And don't try and differentiate, at the end of the day no one forces anybody to go shooting, we are killing for fun.

Have you ever tried to force a horse to do anything? Good luck making a horse walk if it doesn't want to, I watch horses pulling their jockeys arms off every single day because they are so desperate to go for a good old gallop over a mile.

And as for the one death, the Op wasn't talking about his dislike of the festival, purely the National so that argument isn't technically valid. I don't see any body campaigning for the end of the Ebor festival or the Guineas etc it's purely because of the public visibility of the Grand National, much like the whole fox hunting thing. What's easier to ban "toffs" in bright red coats charging about on horses and meeting in town centres, or a couple of old boys poking about for a few pheasnts in the middle of no where.

Edited by kennett

1 minute ago, kennett said:

Right I'll start at the top. What about game shooting? Literally breeding something, purely to kill it for fun. And don't try and differentiate, at the end of the day no one forces anybody to go shooting, we are killing for fun.

Have you ever tried to force a horse to do anything? Good luck making a horse walk if it doesn't want to, I watch horses pulling their jockeys arms off every single day because they are so desperate to go for a good old gallop over a mile.

And as for the one death, the Op wasn't talking about his dislike of the festival, purely the National so that argument isn't technically valid. I don't see any body campaigning for the end of the Ebor festival or the Guineas etc

Well i'll start with common sense, i don't take part in game shooting or agree with  shooting birds specifically raised to be shot for sport , I shoot PIGEONS for pest control.

You said "Sorry nothing died for you this year" so your clearly talking carp as something did, showing a distinct lack of knowledge or research  on your part, so your words are worthless.

As for making the horses do something they don't want to, why do the jockey hit them?

14 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

Well i'll start with common sense, i don't take part in game shooting or agree with  shooting birds specifically raised to be shot for sport , I shoot PIGEONS for pest control.

You said "Sorry nothing died for you this year" so your clearly talking carp as something did, showing a distinct lack of knowledge or research  on your part, so your words are worthless.

As for making the horses do something they don't want to, why do the jockey hit them?

So when you sit in a hide shooting pigeons, are you forced to, at gun point? No, you do it because you enjoy it, and for your enjoyment an animal had to give up its life. Preferably the more the better presumably? And as I said, the original post was about the grand national race, not the whole festival and nothing died in the National. As for lack of knowledge or research, I work in racing and have watched or read about more of the racing than most and was fully aware of the one fatality, and that Saint Are was looking a bit touch and go but is now back at stables receiving the appropriate care. I have no problem with OP being anti racing if, as he says he only shoots clays but find someone who actively goes out to kill an animal, by their own free will, complaining about it laughably hypocritical.