Outbuilding flooring

lksopener

Hello guys, 

renovated an outbuilding recently which was single brick with a concrete floor. 

Now has been insulated (kingspan), plasterbaorded floor and top half of walls and clad the bottom half. 

Just put self leveller down on the flooring and the next decision is what flooring to go for? The purpose of the room is going to be partly Reloading and part man cave so do need a flooring surface down but my budget isn’t grand. 

Was thinking of going with Lino/vinyl type flooring, I’ve read around and thought it may need insulation but online seems to suggest it can go straight down over concrete, does this sound right? I’m thinking this will be easy to sweep and clean and be quite durable. 

Any thoughts? 

Liam 

29 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

concrete floor may need sealing first

I did PVA seal the floor Dave, sorry didn’t mention above. 

COSD thanks I did look at the floor paints but they aren’t my favourite aesthetically speaking, I’ve seen some that look okay, others that look awful. 

1 minute ago, lksopener said:

I did PVA seal the floor Dave, sorry didn’t mention above. 

COSD thanks I did look at the floor paints but they aren’t my favourite aesthetically speaking, I’ve seen some that look okay, others that look awful. 

Depending what you're planning to do in there, Costco do like a few different types of plastic and rubber flooring which come on rolls or tiles which interlock. 

My mate has the interlocking in both a garage and a gym, and they are very hard wearing and look quite smart to; in your case, it would add another layer of insulation which be an added benefit.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Hardware-DIY-Tyres/Garage/Garage-Flooring/G-Floor-75-x-17ft-23-x-52M-Floor-Protector/p/112281

I can't find the link for the interlocking tiles, but something along these lines except cheaper from what I remember

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004OW24CM/ref=asc_df_B004OW24CM51645041/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B004OW24CM&linkCode=df0&hvadid=222165639010&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=644201571228195302&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045944&hvtargid=pla-420762171569&th=1&psc=1

Cushion flooring although warm is rubbish and rips/ damages easliy. The stick down vinyl tiles are hard wearing and easy to sweep. B n q do some wood plank look alike. It easy to put down did some in my porch and bathroom. So far so good. Rubber interlocking tiles sound like a good option too. If you want paint the look at the 2part epoxy floors. I saw one and it looked like glass as it was a couple of mm thick and really flat. He had it for a classic car garage floor.

I've got some of the interlocking type floor mats their pretty good so long as your not wheeling heavy stuff around on them such as tool boxes as they dig in, probably the same would happen if your sat in a wheeled chair? Carpet off cut sounds a good bet.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:52, haynes said:

Cushion flooring although warm is rubbish and rips/ damages easliy.

I would have to disagree here; I had some installed intended as a temporary stopgap solution in the hall over some rather poorly old slate flags.  The intention was to tackle the job properly when funds allowed.  Despite it being a poor surface underneath, it hasn't ripped, and minor damage from wear IS now showing where it crosses ridges in the slate underneath .......... but it has been down for 35 years and in a hall where there is a lot us use.  I would certainly use again, but get a type intended for high traffic areas if you want hard wearing.

I finished my workshop last summer, now on the process of fitting it out. On the floor I put a damp proof membrane down over the entire floor first, then 35mm polystyrene, then 18mm green caber floor, then a covering of poly safe.

The polysafe I thought the best choice, really hard wearing, only two joins across the entire 7.5m length, waterproof and soft enough that if I drop anything or should survive, unlike my tiled kitchen floor. 

Edited by mick miller