Badger cull

Benthejockey

I'm still struggling with the ethics of a cull by shooting. I still think that eradicating badgers from one area by gassing would be quicker and easier, it would also give definite proof that badgers do or don't spread TB.

I agree badgers need to be controlled, I enjoy watching them but there are far too many now. I feed at one sett (landowner is quite happy) but at night I couldn't be selective about which one to shoot so surely the chances are that healthy animals will be shot because they're out foraging while sickly animals are spending more time underground and are therefore missed by the cull. Gassing would at least take out all the badgers. I'm not suggesting complete eradication, just in targeted hotspots for TB.

5 hours ago, wymberley said:

Depends who does the stipulating.

20 bore or minimum of 38g and 160 ftlbs at the muzzle.

Just don't kill the messenger.

Shotgun would be too indiscriminate, with people taking shots at range. They are very tough animals.

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

Of course.

Which is why, when shooting cage trapped badgers, only a shotgun with a minimum of 20 bore using frangible shot is specified on the license.

The license also permits the shooting of free ranging badgers with a 12 bore using BB or AAA shot.

Edited by CharlieT

2 hours ago, timmytree said:

I'm still struggling with the ethics of a cull by shooting. I still think that eradicating badgers from one area by gassing would be quicker and easier, it would also give definite proof that badgers do or don't spread TB.

I agree badgers need to be controlled, I enjoy watching them but there are far too many now. I feed at one sett (landowner is quite happy) but at night I couldn't be selective about which one to shoot so surely the chances are that healthy animals will be shot because they're out foraging while sickly animals are spending more time underground and are therefore missed by the cull. Gassing would at least take out all the badgers. I'm not suggesting complete eradication, just in targeted hotspots for TB.

Is it not the other way around, that the healthy badgers force the sickly one out?

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

Which is why, when shooting cage trapped badgers, only a shotgun with a minimum of 20 bore using frangible shot is specified on the license.

The license also permits the shooting of free ranging badgers with a 12 bore using BB or AAA shot.

We know that (yawn) but the discussion was re putting them on the general licence. 20 bore would not be enough. 

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

We know that (yawn) but the discussion was re putting them on the general licence. 20 bore would not be enough. 

Yawn all you like, but did you not realise that the Badger Act takes to oposite view.

A person is guilty of an offence if—

he uses for the purpose of killing or taking a badger any firearm other than a smooth bore weapon of not less than 20 bore or a rifle using ammunition having a muzzle energy not less than 160 footpounds and a bullet weighing not less than 38 grains.

5 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Yawn all you like, but did you not realise that the Badger Act takes to oposite view.

A person is guilty of an offence if—

he uses for the purpose of killing or taking a badger any firearm other than a smooth bore weapon of not less than 20 bore or a rifle using ammunition having a muzzle energy not less than 160 footpounds and a bullet weighing not less than 38 grains.

The discussion was hypothetical around  what minimum calibre might be stipulated if they were put on the general licence, in which case the Act would not apply.