cocker how far can it run?

oowee

13 hours ago, oowee said:

I have a two year old cocker spaniel very fir and am due to do a cycle ride from Dolgellau to Barmouth and back, about 26 miles. I wont be going fast, and it's flat, do you think the dog will be able to run that far?

No.

the road would damage its pads and make its claws bleed.........dont do it ...stupid idea..

ontop of that...i know that road well...used to work in Barmouth...it will be full of holiday muppet trafic..

Edited by ditchman

Thanks for the feed back. He is often running 8 miles but not tried him over this sort of distance. Have a contingency to stop at Barmouth for lunch he should easily do the 13 to there as we wont be going quickly. One of us can cycle back and its a short drive over to pick him up if he has had enough. Next day is Cader so he needs to save himself :-)

Oowee,

You love your dog, we know that, and please don't take this the wrong way.

Your dog will do every thing to please you, that's what they do. If you beat it with a stick it will still try to please you.  Your dog would run with you no problem, it would run it's little paws to the bone, because it wants to please you. It wants to be with you, you know your limits, unfortunately your dog cant say its had enough.

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Oowee,

Your dog will do every thing to please you, that's what they do. If you beat it with a stick it will still try to please you.  Your dog would run with you no problem, it would run it's little paws to the bone, because it wants to please you. It wants to be with you, you know your limits, unfortunately your dog cant say its had enough.

Perfectly & succinctly put !

If I don't take it it stays at home. It's a great path Mawddach trail (old rail way path) and the dog will have a great time out and about.

Just checked again and its 9.5 miles each way, so not as far as I first thought :). I can stop at Barmouth if I need to. Plenty of stuff on the net on dog distances of 20+ miles. Just have to keep an eye on him. 

Another thing to consider is temperature. The dog might suffer heat exhaustion if its warm or get dehydrated. They can also have fits if overheated or collapse if they get low sugar.

How far does he run on a regular basis. When working they stop and start all the time. Like any major activety, stamina needs to be built up. Nobody runs a marathon without working up endurance to it, dogs are the same.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

15 hours ago, Dougy said:

Oowee,

This

Don't do it, I used to do a regular 20mile off road ride with my German shepherd when he was in his prime but he had built up to that and was conditioned to it, not to mention the longer legs, it wouldn't be fair to expect your dog to do that if it's not used to it and I think even a cocker used to long runs would struggle with that distance in one go.