cocker how far can it run?

oowee

Why even bother to ask the question when u know ur going to do it anyway?

Quite rare to get 100% agreement on any thread on here, but u do here, most views couldn't be clearer, yet ur still going to take the dog anyway??

Put urself in the dogs shoes/mind. Wot enjoyment is it really going to get by running along side u?

It can't go investigating smells, or go into undergrowth. Al its doing is running at the same speed not really that natural for a cocker (mibee fine for a great dane or other carrige dog breeds or even an hpr, breeds built for longer distances and stamina) not 2 of a cockers strong points

Pretty sure most cocker woud prefer a good hunt in morning then a good sleep while ur biking folowed by a good hunt at night, most dogs need there 'alone' time just as much as we do.

Ps I'm pretty sure many decent working dogs (even labs) will cover similar distances when beating grouse, i know some days the beaters can walk 15 miles so a dog will be doing considerably more, and even picking up at pheasants or rough shooting similar mileages will not be unheard of, but as been mentioned the dogs doing it in his own time/speed doing something it really loves (not blindly following a bike) and will get decent breaks between drives/lunch etc

Edited by scotslad

On 15/04/2018 at 15:35, scotslad said:

Why even bother to ask the question when u know ur going to do it anyway?

Quite rare to get 100% agreement on any thread on here, but u do here, most views couldn't be clearer, yet ur still going to take the dog anyway??

Put urself in the dogs shoes/mind. Wot enjoyment is it really going to get by running along side u?

It can't go investigating smells, or go into undergrowth. Al its doing is running at the same speed not really that natural for a cocker (mibee fine for a great dane or other carrige dog breeds or even an hpr, breeds built for longer distances and stamina) not 2 of a cockers strong points

Pretty sure most cocker woud prefer a good hunt in morning then a good sleep while ur biking folowed by a good hunt at night, most dogs need there 'alone' time just as much as we do.

Ps I'm pretty sure many decent working dogs (even labs) will cover similar distances when beating grouse, i know some days the beaters can walk 15 miles so a dog will be doing considerably more, and even picking up at pheasants or rough shooting similar mileages will not be unheard of, but as been mentioned the dogs doing it in his own time/speed doing something it really loves (not blindly following a bike) and will get decent breaks between drives/lunch etc

This is spot on.

Remember your dog isn't going to tell you he's had enough, he'd give everything he's got to keep up, the point he'd stop could be when hes collapsed or after he's done serious damage to his paws if he's on the road.

Friday did torrent walk and old and new precipice walk's with trip to Barmouth headland about 12 miles.  We did the (reduced) ride on Saturday, started just outside Dolgellau to Barmouth on rail line. Surface is mostly shale but he was on the verge for most of the way. There and back about 16 miles. Steady pace with a few stops to swim in the river :-) (dog not me) no probs. Back in time to do torrent walk (couple of miles) and then today to up and down Cader in the rain, which was pretty miserable. 

Home for a rest and out shooting in the morning. 

Don't ask your dog to further than you can yourself.  I have seen border terrier quite happily trot along side its biking owner but they only do a couple of miles a day. Not twenty miles, most horses don't get ridden for twenty miles.

Edited by figgy

It was fine. Moderated it based on comments here. Dog did not even break into a run and was easily ready for more. Did not even want to get out the river walk at the end happy to play for hours. Must say he was less than impressed by walk up Cader on the Sunday, lots of cloud so had to keep him close. 

I live in the three peaks area of the yorkshire dales and I also have a cocker that is out in the hills every day.  The three peaks route is approx 25 miles and I won't take her on the full circuit.  It's fine for us as we know how far we are going and can pace ourselves accordingly, even train and build up to the distance/pace, but to expect a dog to do it 'off pat' isn't reasonable in my book.  I appreciate it's each to their own and all that but I certainly wouldn't subject my dog to it.