Pigeons in the trees

shawn9914

I have some large sitty trees at the bottom of my garden but I don't know what sort they are but the pigeons have started taking great interest in them sitting on the branches eating the buds

The buds are like a bundle of black small grapes rough looking does anyone know what these are and why the pigeons have suddendy starting eating them 

I know they are not oak or beech but not sure what type of treees they are

5 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

I been watching pigeons eating Ash buds recently on my neck of my the woods. 

Every day is a school day. I bet I have seen pigeons eating Ash buds and never taken any notice, there is no reason why they wouldn't have been doing it right under my nose. 

And here I am thinking I know everything. 

3 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

Every day is a school day. I bet I have seen pigeons eating Ash buds and never taken any notice, there is no reason why they wouldn't have been doing it right under my nose. 

And here I am thinking I know everything. 

Strangely enough I was only having a conversation 2 days ago about what the local pigeons where feeding on as they were not on the rape and there were no drilling’s, we had both seen a good number on Ash buds. I imagine there is a huge amount of energy for them but in buds, certainly more than rape leaves.

22 hours ago, JDog said:

April and May have long been recognised as months where pigeons feed heavily on tree buds. Normally these times of year can be difficult for the decoyer. This year may be different as a lot of drillings are still to go in.

Conditions for drillings have vastly improved over the last few days , more so on the lighter land , yesterday they drilled spring barley on sugar beet land and the same old story , not a grain to be seen and today there were a few rooks but no signs of any pigeons.

If going by previous years , we get the odd bread and butter bag off thin patches of rape and odd bits and pieces like Game covers poking through the ground , any serious bags don't start until the peas are 3 / 4 inches above the ground , having said that , on Saturday nights we will still be reading how P C have just shot another three figure bag :lol: