magnet speed control

My magnet seems to be running slowly even with a fully charged battery . I bought a new speed controller but made no difference , only goes at one speed , about 75% of what it used to be. Any ideas ? New motor , or new magnet ?

1 minute ago, Geo said:

My magnet seems to be running slowly even with a fully charged battery . I bought a new speed controller but made no difference , only goes at one speed , about 75% of what it used to be. Any ideas ? New motor , or new magnet ?

hello which model magnet and motor? Geo

I don't know what the model is , it's quite old been well used , I bought a job lot of pigeon stuff last year for £100 including loads of decoys , hide net and poles a flapper and a magnet. I can't complain as the decoys alone were worth more than £100. I have attached a pic which looks like it , quite a big motor , not one of the modern lightweight versions. Might be time to bin it !

Magnet.jpg

Looks like a wiper motor version.

Could be any of a few things  , , motor needs a service with a clean, a little oil and grease in the right places , check the drive shaft nut to the arms is secure, the motor shaft is splined and if the nut comes a little loose the splines can get damaged and makes the power to the arms slip.

Other than that clapped out .

5 hours ago, Geo said:

Knackered battery.

1 hour ago, Geo said:

Thanks for replies, I will check as advised and let you know if it comes back to life, the battery is new so should be ok. How easy is it to fit a new motor for £24 ?

I accept it could be the motor, but they are extremely reliable. I’ve had two cheap magnets with that motor for over 10 years and they are bullit proof.