Drilling Stainless !

Snoozer

Ok need some advice from any engineer types please.

Got a project that requires me to fabricate from stainless and need to drill 2 x 11mm holes for attaching a work piece.

I was thinking pilot around 3mm then finish with the 11mm but want a drill bit that will both do the job and do it repeatably.

Looking on the web gives drill bits with a HSS ground bit with a Tungsten Carbide Tip but they seem far to cheap with the 11mm @ £5.88

Anyone got recommendations of a very good brand i can purchase ?

If you can, make sure you have something to drill through to, clamped to the piece your drilling.  it reduces braking the bits. Cobalt are a tad better than hss  if my memory serves me well. 

Blooming predictive text. 

Edited by Dougy
Has not hss

cobalt drills with a pilot hole  first and plenty of cutting fluid,if you have a pillar drill even better .

i find slow speed & plenty of pressure doesn't give the stainless time to heat up and harden which then takes the edge off yer bit if that makes any sense.

Edited by Remimax

At work all we use to drill any grade of stainless are Cobalt drill's  Hss are just not up to production work just do not go to fast and use a lube if is starts to squeel you are getting it tohot and blunting the drill.

Edited by Andy H
more info

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

just measured a BS 5 centre drill and its 11.09mm would that do the job for you? I always find centre drills cut great short and sturdy? 

I have a tolerance around 11mm so 11.09 is as near as dam it lol

If i got one would i need a pilot ?

For 11mm hole use a 6mm or 1/4” pilot hole. 3mm is too small requiring lots of down pressure for the 11mm drill to cut. 

I find tct carbide hole cutters work well in thin stainless of a few mm thick. As that’s when Colbalt drills get chipped breaking through. 

As said slow and plenty of cutting fluid. 

Have a search I’m sure there was a thread on this not that long ago. About hole cutters and drills. 

Edited by figgy

Mark the hole out first with a centre punch to avoid the drill skidding.

The idea (above) of starting off with a centre drill is a good one, and one that I use too

Drill at slow speed with a pillar drill and sharp HSS bits, going up in diameter in stages and a fair pressure with  lots of lubricant to avoid overheating.