Reloading data

I load 21.5 grains CSB5 with 24grams lead, Spark wad, CX2000 primer in Cheddite 69mm case, makes nice clay cartridge. I used same load with AS and its only slightly slower but negligibly so. Both loads have been pressure tested and CIP comply.  I used A1 for 20bore loads and AS (now CSB5) for 12bore.

Lowest load for a 12bore is 28grams lead with Cheddite 70mm case, CX2000 primer, 27grains A1 power, 3mm overpowder wad, 21mm fibre wad, 3mm felt wad and 6 point crimp which gives pressure at 1" of 464,80 and velocity at 2,5m of 351 fps.

A1 seems to be for higher loads in 12 going to 40grams of lead.

Never used the A1 12 bore loads just what was on the data sheet. They all say 70mm tubes but whenever i buy them there all 69mm.   

Guest cookoff013

Here is a tip.

Looketh for thy 36gram loadeth, with thy vectan A1. No pointeth with any other loading. Fireth thy cartridge of 12/70mm at thy vermin foe. Speedeth not moreth of 1300 fps.

Edited by cookoff013
Smell chequerr

Sorry to disagree with Cook ;) but I used to load a nice 34g in 12 for my brother and dad, pretty lethal on anything from thrushes to pheasants. I do loaded a 25g in 20 bore for my pigeon shooting and ducks alike but the differences I encountered using different batches made me sway towards other powders. I know the first batch of Nobel Sport A1 is weaker than the last Vectan one and some friends have been advised by NSI to increase the powder by 0.05 on their standard loads

Edited by Continental Shooter

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, lksopener said:

I’m going to be controversial and say ballistic products 1 1/8oz load for A1 is also superb. 

Currently my go to load for game. 

Care to shareth thy loading scripture?

Guest cookoff013

I use A1 to shoot steel,itx10, and bismuth. It can shoot 42g loads but in all honesty its only 1200fps hardly hard-core (very nice loading s)  36g is about where this powder peaks.12gauge. It does 42g subsonic too. Wink wink.

Guest cookoff013

Vectan A1 is funny stuff really. 

i usually try to load faster and faster powders and or have the heavyest payloads but this stuff is slow. i`ve loaded alliant steel, but this stuff as a normal lead powder is slow.
with all the loading / loading assays i`ve been messing with i chose A1 because i wanted something decent to load. but throughout my loadings i found out its mega stable at 32g loading and 36g loadsings are fine, 42g are alittle wobbly and probably be limited to 1100fps loads. i used it for alot of weird testing and its great stuff. 

just throughout my testing, whatever i`d never exceed 36g as a payload, because it just doesnt have any puff left in it. i was very tempted to continue my testing with 36g powershot. the 42g varied too much in pressure, although were not excessive numbers at all. certainly at 36g in 12gauge it can do 1250fps. 
when i tried it with 25g steel it wasnt popping right at all, it was safe, but seriously was not popping right at all. the load data is out there, but it seems it cant burn enough of the stuff before popping the crimp. the lighter shot charge needs less energy to get it moving. comparing the lead and steel, the energies involved were quite different, that 36g lead load just sits there needing more and more energy to get it going and to a lower speed. 

this is really basic kiddy balllistics. but what i`ve been trying to work out is how to extract the most energy out of a set amount of energy input. for me thats a whole different ball game.

Guest cookoff013

i got to admit, i wouldnt waste that lovely powder on that. 
not that i`m dissing that load.

when i researched alot, it would appear that 36g load with A1 is pretty sweet, relative powder charges and not totally reduced speeds. 

i recently tested alot of A1 with all plethera of loads (maybe 10?)

A1 will do 42g subsonics too.