Definitely a Karma Day

Out on the road at 08.30 loads of pigeon in the parks as we leave the city, mainly on the beech buds. We had a call in the week on some rape. I managed to look at it after the stables on Wednesday and the wife was amazed at approx one hundred and fifty birds down and others joining from a thick conifer wood. All set to shoot it Thusday. Thursday morning thick fog, walked the ground and spooked about fifty out of the trees , walked the boundary of the field two hours nothing returned . 

This morning fifty down on the field nothing joining, walked them off and left to look at other rape fields. Strange no flighting birds other that budding birds. Three more farms no birds. Kissed the kerb looking at budding birds and tyre deflates so jack up fit spare, decided to look at one of our clover farms and found twenty down , nothing joining. Saw the Farmer had a chat " have you looked at the old maize field" no we only looked at the maize field on the other farm he owns. So had a look no birds. Drove back to the first rape field no birds.

We decide to drive to the limit of our permissions and work back to Brum. The first farm birds all  round the rape on buds. Second four on buds, While I was drivng to the third farm a " Boy Racer" put me up the hedge and carried on, result hanging mirror on the near side. Now we approached the banker field surrounded by conifers mainly so no buds. As we drove down the track a few birds lifted out of the tall rape then dropped back in, we decided to have a go as they did not want to leave the field. A quick phone call and we were set. We scanned the field and found the lowest rape and set up with the normal twelve fresh birds with two on the magnet. It was now 14.00 and we had seen no birds feeding on our travels so are we going out too early??

In the first hour we had a flurry of birds and by 15.30 we had seventy birds. They came to the decoys as if on "Zip Wires" and we had loads of doubles and I ( Golden Globes ) had two with one shot. Then it went dead and we could see birds dropping in at the far end of the field , so I went walk about around the perimeter of the field when I returned DB did the same. We shot till 19.00 and left the field at 20.00 after picking up one hundred and fortyone birds so we did get our payback for the one hundred miles we had travelled the mirror and puncture. After laying out the birds in the garage I had my tea at 22.15 and I'm writing this at 23.02, a long satisfying day.

100_3108.jpg

141 Pigeons on Rape

Two master craftsmen putting in a 12 hour shift.Just shows they are still focused on the rape in some areas, although there might be some drilling done later this week? Sunday breakfast in front of the laptop reading your reports is now a routine I look forward to & I'm rarely disappointed!

Thanks for all the kind comments. It just shows that they are feeding in the afternoon and if you can find them you can bag up. The forecast for next week is very warm and the buds may only be small and sweet for a short time, hopefully. But the ground will be receptive to seed. I've heard that some may not seed cereals as its too  late I hope they plant Spring Rape!!!!!

Truly amazing , your determination to shoot a bag of pigeons would put a lot less hardier souls to shame ( me included ) ,after leaving your house at that time of the morning and suffering a puncture , having your mirror removed and travelling around 100  miles would send most people back from where you started from , namely your house .

Yesterday was very still with misty conditions , the only pigeons I found were a few here and there on short rape that had been eaten off during the winter months , I done what I thought was right by walking them off without firing a shot , instead of waiting I moved on to the next block of rape and done the same as before , although most of them were already sitting in the trees , done this one more time and then returned to the first field to see if any had returned , with no signs of any movement I then moved back to the second field , same results again and to cut a long story short , it was the same on all the fields , this was well into the afternoon as the football I had on the radio was over and the post mortem was discussing why Norwich switched off and Cardiff scored twice with five minutes to go.

So after being out all afternoon , I admitted defeat and headed back home without taking the gun out of its sleeve , although I didn't get a puncture and as far as I know both of my mirrors are still in one piece .:yes: