silenced shotgun

shawn9914

I have some rooks to shoot and plenty of them but its in a delicate area right next to a golf course and the farmer doesnt want to upset the golf club

I was thinking of buying a slilenced 410 but not sure what to buy do I just buy a cheap single shot  £150 gun or do I need to spend more money and go newer

I found this on gunmart https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns-silenced/baikal/single-shot/12-gauge/180413204504001 but I dont know anything about these guns 

Whats your thoughts 

Are you shooting them off the branches when they are young, or as they are flying? The 12 gauge shotgun would do the job on both accounts. You will still hear a 'bang' but it will be greatly reduced if you use the right cartridges. If shooting them off branches, then a .410 would be fine.

Need to shoot them in the air but cant ' with 12g due to noise I've tried it and farmer not impressed 

Seen vids on you tube of silenced 410 and they look pretty good 40-50 yds no problem and quiet but wanted some real advise on anyone on here that uses one 

39 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Need to shoot them in the air but cant ' with 12g due to noise I've tried it and farmer not impressed 

Seen vids on you tube of silenced 410 and they look pretty good 40-50 yds no problem and quiet but wanted some real advise on anyone on here that uses one 

Then I would go down the route of a fully moderated 12 gauge. Just to give that extra bit of knockdown power.

Shop around see if you can find a moderated 20 bore. The 410 so called sub sonics I have used were useless on both counts. I use standard 410 cartridges 3 inch Fiocchi or High Pheasant and yes there is a noise but not a BANG you would expect from a normal shell. I had to decoy some barn pigeons about 75yrds from the farmers house last year on some new seeds and asked the wife , did it annoy her ???  Did what annoy me?  she said.  If they are coming back into the wood, supposing the wood belongs to the farmer not the golf course. I would build a bit of a hide and sit and pop every one which pitched in.  That way the bodies will be easily tidied up and none are going to glide off onto the 5th Green

just as the Lady Captain is taking a crucial putt.   Mossy 3 shot pumper moderated is the way to go as you can then use it for decoying elsewhere with a second/third shot if needed.  

IF they are coming in to roost, then an air rifle will also do the job. 

Edited by Walker570

i use a modod o/u 20g,but have used a baikel single moded 410 decoyin crows an woodys,,its fine but no 2nd shot available,so borrowed a mossy pump 410 again moded,an it works fine over decoys provided u keep to sensible range,an dont bother with subsonic shells not worth the xtra money.

Silenced shotguns are quieter from the sides and the rear but in front they are not really quieter. They still are effective but you have to understand the limitations. They are muffled but they are not a silencer like on a rifle.

Edited by Vince Green

I was surprised with My Mossy 410 because it still seemed to make a fair crack when fired, but as with the farmers wife and others who have said they didn't associate the noise with a shotgun.  Used it close to a village when pigeon decoying with no complaints and I mean CLOSE.  I'm reasonablly close to Shawn and have mailed him to offer to let him trial mine on the site and see what the farmer thinks.  Doing this may save a few pennies.

Edited by Walker570

Guest stevo
On 15/04/2018 at 10:37, shawn9914 said:

Your NOT going to get 40-50 yards out of a moderated .410 . I don’t care who you are , you get the odd lucky shot but that will be about . Or am I reading this  wrong ? 

I would like to see the vid you talk of .

Edited by stevo

On 16/04/2018 at 21:31, stevo said:

Your NOT going to get 40-50 yards out of a moderated .410 . I don’t care who you are , you get the odd lucky shot but that will be about . Or am I reading this  wrong ? 

I would like to see the vid you talk of .

Im not sure how far some of these shots are but they cant be far off the 40 yds mark at times 

Guest stevo
2 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Im not sure how far some of these shots are but they cant be far off the 40 yds mark at times 

I would say the bloke in the video is a lucky chancer , there mostly around around the 30-35 m mark the odd one is a bit further , but that certainly does not prove to me that it’s capable of 40-50 yards . Trust me 

Guest stevo

The first video is ME . I’m bomber county field sports . 

Yes the . 410 is very capable, but if you not used before your going to struggle 

I use Eley 19 gram size 5 shells , through an extra full choke . At 30 yards I have about an 18” pattern. 

On 16/04/2018 at 21:07, Walker570 said:

I was surprised with My Mossy 410 because it still seemed to make a fair crack when fired, but as with the farmers wife and others who have said they didn't associate the noise with a shotgun.  Used it close to a village when pigeon decoying with no complaints and I mean CLOSE.  I'm reasonablly close to Shawn and have mailed him to offer to let him trial mine on the site and see what the farmer thinks.  Doing this may save a few pennies.

Good man.

10 hours ago, stevo said:

The first video is ME . I’m bomber county field sports . 

Yes the . 410 is very capable, but if you not used before your going to struggle 

I use Eley 19 gram size 5 shells , through an extra full choke . At 30 yards I have about an 18” pattern. 

Haha. Must be good when someone posts your video as an example of what a gun is capable of. 

Good shooting too.