Personnel accident cover

team tractor

A good broker should be able to sort this relatively inexpensively. I had it until my youngest reached 18 years of age. It provided an annual sum that would have covered child care had anything happened to either my wife or I, or both.

Highly recommended, in my view, for peace of mind if you can afford it.

A number of colleagues have gone down this route, massively expensive if you want functioning cover it seems (something that pays out if you can no longer work in your chosen profession but could still man a till for instance). In the above example losing a hand and thus my career would mean a payout far short of what would be required to stop working.

I had a quote at £220 a month for income protection, that allowed motorcycles but only on tracks (would have to give up motorcycling on the road) and no competitive horse riding, this was to be fair ill health as well as accidental injury cover albeit with no payout for the first six months of any issue. I decided I would rather stash a little more away into savings each month.

My work pension scheme have more than adequate death in service provision to cover all the required expenses, 

In fairness had I shopped around I may have been able to get a lower quote, and I do know of one ex colleague who essentially was retired off on near enough full pay at 34 by the combination of her rather expensive insurance policy and her pensions ill health retirement policy. She will probably live to 15 years short of a normal life expectancy but without great hand function. 

Edited by Wb123

My father worked for the Milk Marketing Board many years ago when the workforce were offered Injury/accident/illness cover at a "company" rate - he signed up but before he had even received his policy documents he had a fit whilst driving and was declared unfit for HGV driving from then on. The Insurance company paid him his equivalent wage for about 10 years until he retired.