.17 HMR

bruno22rf

Much of my bunny bashing is in smallish undulating grazing fields so I zero at 90 yards to avoid occasionally hitting their ears at 50~70 ish yards when I want to take them away. If I'm purely on pest control that will be ok for boiler room shots too.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Should finally get my hands on my .17 tomorrow and was wondering what range to zero it at - did I read somewhere that an initial zero of 37 yards will also bring the point of impact to zero at 100 yards? Will be using Hornaday v-max 17g.

It will depend on the ammo type and weight, barrel length, barrel condition, moderator type/condition, scope height, etc etc!!!

Any figures like you quoted are an approximation, even with 17g V-Max, if you use any other type/weight of ammo you need to recheck zero.

If you can shoot quarry at 100 yards then you should be able to zero at that distance, APPROXIMATION should play no part in shooting!  Once you are happy with your zero at 100 yards by all means work backwards/forwards and find where the bullet is flying at other distances.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

I zero mine at 100 yards and know the drop at all practical ranges.Wind permitting and use a range finder if needed to be sure. I cannot get my head round zeroing 1" high (or so) at 100 yd as it would complicate it for me.Obviously not everyone though.

Edited by Good shot?

11 hours ago, spandit said:

I was beginning to think the HMR was dieing out but seems like a resurgence

I have no idea where that came from, the HMR (ammo) has had serious issues, of that there is no doubt, but from what I see, and despite issues, the HMR has only ever grown in popularity in the UK from my experience!

I got the impression that due to the ammo issues people were being put off buying one and opting for a 17CF or 22WMR instead. Happy to be corrected - love my Weihrauch. That said, now you can buy bullets by post, not sure if the ammo is cheaper any more. Anyone done a comparison?

Edited by spandit

8 hours ago, Whitester said:

I zero at 100 yards mainly because I have a hawke scope with an hmr ret but 110 yards is also a handy zero . Never had an issue with hornady max in over 400 rounds .

Same for me, only one in issue in 1,000 rounds (800 Hornady and 200 Winchester) the problem was with the Winchester.

I normally check my zero at 40yrds, the reason being that is the only safe distance in my wood to do it and not disturb the brood mares next door.  Obviously the height of your scope will make a small difference, but to quote the piece in Squirrels shot yesterday it appears that doing that makes mine about 1 inch low at 190 and as I'm only in it to reduce vermin and leave the bodies for the buzzards and foxes then if I get a miss up to that range it is my fault.  I have now had two CZs in 17 HMR and I have never had an issue with the cartridges. Tried most but now stick to Hornady V Max as they seem to really suit the barrel on my rifle.

10 hours ago, Dougy said:

Last conversation I had with my local FEO was they were seeing less applications for HMR. 

Who knows, but even if he is right it doesn't mean HMR is dying out!

15 years ago it was new here, it makes sense that it took off, reached a peak and now less people are applying simply because most people who wanted one have now got one!

:good:

Let’s be honest the hmr is one of the most versatile calibres on the market. If i’m Only taking out one rifle on s night out it’s the hmr. I’m sure some have had bad rifles but then i’m Sure some haven’t given it enough time . You really need to have a rifle for a year before you get to know it before you make your mind up in my opinion . Yes it’s not as consistent as a centre fire but its a boat load cheaper to run and it’s certainly safer. The only quarry you can’t take is a deer so within its own limits it covers all bases. It’s a shame there are so many critics because i’m Out once or twice a week and never feel under gunned or at a disadvantage if I have the hmr.

10 hours ago, Whitester said:

Let’s be honest the hmr is one of the most versatile calibres on the market. If i’m Only taking out one rifle on s night out it’s the hmr. I’m sure some have had bad rifles but then i’m Sure some haven’t given it enough time . You really need to have a rifle for a year before you get to know it before you make your mind up in my opinion . Yes it’s not as consistent as a centre fire but its a boat load cheaper to run and it’s certainly safer. The only quarry you can’t take is a deer so within its own limits it covers all bases. It’s a shame there are so many critics because i’m Out once or twice a week and never feel under gunned or at a disadvantage if I have the hmr.

I think bad RIFLES are few and far between, I think you will find most issues have stemmed from the ammunition. :good:

On 19/04/2018 at 22:06, Whitester said:

Whilst I personally would never, and have never used HMR on Deer, I have heard stories of poachers who use them for headshootint deer at night as they are so accurate. 

I also once heard a man say they would even drop a Roe with heart and lung shots.

Whether true or not I’ve no idea. Never tried it and I don’t want to try it. 

They certainly do a good job on rabbit tho and I’m happy with them for that!  

On 19/04/2018 at 22:06, Whitester said:

Whilst I personally would never, and have never used HMR on Deer, I have heard stories of poachers who use them for headshootint deer at night as they are so accurate. 

I also once heard a man say they would even drop a Roe with heart and lung shots.

Whether true or not I’ve no idea. Never tried it and I don’t want to try it. 

They certainly do a good job on rabbit tho and I’m happy with them for that!  

59 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

...and the blunt tool behind the rifle. That is where most of my issues stem from.  

Maybe, but when i 1st had my Ruger77/17 i would shoot at the drawing pins that we used to hold the targets on the board with, it was that good. But then it started to get worse, nothing changed on the rifle or with the shooter, i could still shot all my other rifles, not world class but i am OK:good: 

We all know the ammo was dire in some cases, i gave up with the HMR and had a 1 for 1 for another 17 cal but just a tad faster and something that I had control of loading wise. Now i'm back shooting the staples of the target board at 200yards:lol: 

40 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Maybe, but when i 1st had my Ruger77/17 i would shoot at the drawing pins that we used to hold the targets on the board with, it was that good. But then it started to get worse, nothing changed on the rifle or with the shooter, i could still shot all my other rifles, not world class but i am OK:good: 

We all know the ammo was dire in some cases, i gave up with the HMR and had a 1 for 1 for another 17 cal but just a tad faster and something that I had control of loading wise. Now i'm back shooting the staples of the target board at 200yards:lol: 

You are a far better shot then me mate. I find it best to blame myself. 

You must use some big old staples :lol: