.17 HMR

bruno22rf

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Maybe, but when i 1st had my Ruger77/17 i would shoot at the drawing pins that we used to hold the targets on the board with, it was that good. But then it started to get worse, nothing changed on the rifle or with the shooter, i could still shot all my other rifles, not world class but i am OK:good: 

We all know the ammo was dire in some cases, i gave up with the HMR and had a 1 for 1 for another 17 cal but just a tad faster and something that I had control of loading wise. Now i'm back shooting the staples of the target board at 200yards:lol: 

What scope zoom do you use for that? 

I've had HMR for many years. In recent years, it hasn't had much use. When I do get around to using it, I always ask myself why I don't use it more often. It remains one of the most accurate [in the right conditions] calibres I have ever used and is devastating. I have never had any issues with problem ammo, although I can understand how those that have, have less confidence in the calibre. The whole ammo debacle was a great shame.

15 hours ago, spandit said:

Doesn't need a big margin of error when you hit a baby one, does it? Poor little thing...

you hit a body shot on either an adult OR a baby rabbit with a HMR and it's dead as a door nail... 

in the last 2 years of owning mine I've shot more rabbits than I can count and every single one has been dropped on the spot.

32 minutes ago, brett1985 said:

you hit a body shot on either an adult OR a baby rabbit with a HMR and it's dead as a door nail... 

in the last 2 years of owning mine I've shot more rabbits than I can count and every single one has been dropped on the spot.

I will second that my 1517  is the go to rifle for all my vermin control. Accurate, quick and effective.

My rifle is zeroed at 60yrds, with a lot of my control work taking place, in and around woodland with ranges from 15yrds to 100.

A great caliber

Zeroed it at 35 yards to start - 2 rounds to bring within an inch of the bull then 100 yards - 2 to bring the hole about an inch above the Bull then 4 clicks down put 3 holes 1/4" above the Bull all touching in a vertical one hole string - well chuffed as she's 16 years old :good:.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:31, Dougy said:

sighton 8-32x56 s111 and my reading glasses.

I was wondering how you do that at that range, its easy off the windowsill at 25mtr with the air rifle, but just seeing them at 200 must take some doing.

Never handled a .17 hmr but i was shown some pictures a while back of dead rats that had been body shot, they were very dead, messy big holes dead.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I was wondering how you do that at that range, its easy off the windowsill at 25mtr with the air rifle, but just seeing them at 200 must take some doing.

Never handled a .17 hmr but i was shown some pictures a while back of dead rats that had been body shot, they were very dead, messy big holes dead.

Its not exactly a HMR, and I probably exaggerated a little about shooting the staples at 200yds  :lol: drawing pins more like. 

The HMR is only as good as the rounds, I am getting wind that it has started to improve greatly after the dip in quality. 

On 18/04/2018 at 08:01, Dekers said:

15 years ago it was new here, it makes sense that it took off, reached a peak and now less people are applying simply because most people who wanted one have now got one!

:good:

Same as .204 ruger. Don't hear about them much anymore. Maybe (never shot one) that people have held onto them 

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

Its not exactly a HMR, and I probably exaggerated a little about shooting the staples at 200yds   drawing pins more like. 

The HMR is only as good as the rounds, I am getting wind that it has started to improve greatly after the dip in quality. 

I figured that was the reason for the price increase.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about to get my first rifle and have been planning on, and have been authorised for, a HMR. It will be for rabbits, corvids and other small pests but the odd close in fox. I'll be getting a 243 for fox and bigger stuff.

Have the ammo issues been resolved and was it a particular brand? and what are the costs for ammo vs other similar calibres? 

I've seen 17 Hornet mentioned a few times recently but I'm not wanting to start reloading as a few people seem to recommend - I never have time to reload for my small bore shotguns as it is!

Plenty on here with miles more experience than me as I have only shot just under 100 rounds so far - mostly at targets but this Sunday I shot my first hmr kill - Jackdaw at 140 paces so about 125-35 yards. I have bought 3 separate lots of Ammo (same rounds but different batches) and they are mixed up in 2 bullet wallets and have not noticed any deviation between rounds - in fact accuracy is almost unbelievable at 100 yards. As for particular brand, I am pretty sure that it is all made by the same company (cci?) so switching brands would not offer a solution and price wise my dealer has just dropped down from £17 to £14 per 50 v-max. I bought an Annie 1717 with the heavy barrel despite being warned about the weight and although I am smitten with the gun the weight is certainly a problem. 

Still my favorite vermin rifle.  Zero 1 inch high at 100 and not a lot escapes if I do my bit.  Hornady V Max and I buy in large batches checking the loading batch number on each box is the same, as I do with my 22RF    Still just fire a check when starting a new box and of course prior to going out each time. I'm lucky I can do that here at home and appreciate some can't do that but I cannot remember when point of aim has changed.   It's just a habit with all my rifles.   Apart from that 'check' shot I don't waste cartridges killing paper, it has to be soft and furry or feathers have to fly.  Like my electric drill is for drilling holes my 17HMR is a tool.

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Is yours a cz .walker. ? 

Been considering a .17 for a while now .

And have been looking at cz .annies .

Savage and the tbolt .

Ive had an annie with 14” barrel ,now have a cz with 20”barrel and prefer the longer barrel , the cz is a great gun ,trigger kit fitted if required and just as accurate as anything else 

5 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Is yours a cz .walker. ? 

Been considering a .17 for a while now .

And have been looking at cz .annies .

Savage and the tbolt .

I have the HMR in CZ 452 American guise and even with a scope and bipod it's light enough to carry around for a days shooting, and the accuracy is phenomenal with 17gr Winchester or Hornadey ammunition.

T bolt trigger is awful personally speaking. having come from air rifles and got a CZ centre fire with a set trigger the T Bolt trigger out of the box reminded me of a 1980s Webley Vulcan trigger. I replaced it with a Jard one which is much nicer

1 hour ago, Zetter said:

T bolt trigger is awful personally speaking. having come from air rifles and got a CZ centre fire with a set trigger the T Bolt trigger out of the box reminded me of a 1980s Webley Vulcan trigger. I replaced it with a Jard one which is much nicer

At £200 + for a T Bolt replacement that should make one hellova a trigger, £15 to improve rectify a CZ HMR trigger if l'm not mistaken.?