Home Made Hide Net

• 1 month later...

Getting old and feeble, I`ve reverted to my childhood , bought 3 meters of leaf-cut netting, made a poncho, with loose cord tie at neck, tripod seat, light backpack for ammo and 6 half shell deeks, 1 full body, also 6 flat corvid deeks ( cut from old estate agents sign , with bamboo spikes ) , mix seems to give a sense of security to the birds ). With water and a stick ( also used as prop if I use the net set instead of wearing it. Total weight with 28 bore ammo..6 lbs..versatile, and I m good for 3 miles at 76..hey, keeps me in the game ! I use a net to drag birds back mostly on the flat !!!

Fronty61, you sound like a real Jack Hargreaves, excellent my man. I'm just starting to realize what a task it can be humping a load of gear, and me a spring chicken of 62 this Saturday. Just the extra weight of water and nibbles for the dog ( not had one until this year) is enough to get the thinking cap on, coming up with weight savings. 30 degrees here in the Loire today, gave the dog a little paddle in the river whilst we had an ice cream from a guy in the village bike shop ( not that sort of village bike) We met him and had a long chat only 2 days ago, I think Le Weed, had dulled his memory, he was quite out if it. Missing the shooting, but not the walking in this heat.

1 hour ago, getthegat said:

Fronty61, you sound like a real Jack Hargreaves, excellent my man. I'm just starting to realize what a task it can be humping a load of gear, and me a spring chicken of 62 this Saturday. Just the extra weight of water and nibbles for the dog ( not had one until this year) is enough to get the thinking cap on, coming up with weight savings. 30 degrees here in the Loire today, gave the dog a little paddle in the river whilst we had an ice cream from a guy in the village bike shop ( not that sort of village bike) We met him and had a long chat only 2 days ago, I think Le Weed, had dulled his memory, he was quite out if it. Missing the shooting, but not the walking in this heat.

I will be on my annual drive through France ,Switzerland , Italy to Greece and to be honest I see lots of cereal fields cut and standing also sunflowers in Italy but very few pigeons. The clue could be " Wood Pigeon" they may be in the cover of the trees.In Greece you talk to the shooters in the gun shops and they talk about migration birds . When I use the computer in the shop and show some of my pictures of shot birds they go very quiet? 

Thanks, Getthegat, for the Jack Hargreaves link..loved his shows as did many others..met him once fishing in Dorset, told me the best bits for him was meeting all the lads who came on his shows, and really flew the flag for their sports ! I should add, the corvid deeks idea was from an old guy I went out with in the New Forest..put them maybe 30 yards farther out from your pigeon shells, really gave the pigeons confidence to come straight in, works for me for 50 years. A little owl deek on the fence also helps for corvids. I `m useless with my Acme crow call, BUT they still come to check it out as long as I do it loud ? Just use gloves and mask ( no bare skin ) and don`t move !!!!!!! Hope this might help someone ?

• 3 weeks later...