.25 cal = .22lr ?

Ultrastu

Been out this eve after rabbits with my mate .    .25 cal fac air and nv .

He had his .22lr . (Sako finnfire ) its awesome .

And me my wildcat .

We had 2  shots on rabbits and a missed opportunity on a 3rd .

The first shot was a given at 40 yds with the .25 in a strong cross wind i gave no windage and bowled him over .

Second was the missed opportunity.as my mate lined up the long range rabbit 90 ish yds he hopped off 

3rd was a 65 yd rabbit across an open field with a strong wind 90 degree to the shot .with my .25 ..i gave about 1.5 inches of windage and dropped him in his tracks.

This .25 cal is holding its own against my mates .22 lr .

Very chuffed .

IMG_20180416_232110.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great shooting Stu , i was out thursday evening/night with my

fac airranger.22 cal @37fpe with bis mag.22  pellets a slight breeze was blowing  i was out in a grass paddock of about 1 acre near two warrens  and in two hrs i managed to get 7 bunnies the furthest shot was 75 yds    all head or spinal/neck shots but all very dead .

atb brian

Edited by happyshooter

7 hours ago, scouser said:

Don’t normally voice an opinion on such things, but in same conditions,with same operator the rimmy wins every time, with power & trajectory & accuracy,   if  .???????    it’s a good one .

Couldnt agree more mate .

But i guess what im trying to say is that the .25 really pulls a close second and is very capable .under testing conditions. 

Also the reason i got the second rabbit and not the .22lr .was the shot was against a thin hedge which can have live stock behind it .the risk with the .22 lr was too great so the decision was to use the "safer "☆ .25 

☆ See less  ricochet risk 

Up to 60yd or near fences fac air is probably always the better choice.

49 minutes ago, figgy said:

In the summer when the ground is hard your FAC .25 will come into its own. Not as prone to ricochets as a .22 LR. 

The 22 will bounce off wet ground too if the angle is right. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

True but its more likely to happen during summer when the ground is hard or winter with a hard frost.

I am not disputing this. Just making the point that bounces can also happen off wet ground which is very disconcerting.

Its often the lower velocity rounds that bounce the most .as there just isnt enough speed to deform the projectile on impact .

So a .30 cal 50 grn pellet at say 900 fps could be as bad or worse than even a .22 lr .

Heavy and slow equals richocet and pass through 

This is a bit like saying that My G10 Air Pistol held it's own against my mates .308 whilst shooting Balloons in my shed - FAC .25 against a .22lr, even using subs is not the issue -  it's a question of choosing the right gun for the job.

Edited by bruno22rf

It is .very true .

But its not possible or practical to carry loads of different guns out with u every time i go shooting and pick between them depending on quarry and location . (Though i do often take.a few :rolleyes:

I think the .22lr and .25 fac air ,are similar and can be pretty close in terms of performance i certainly didnt feel under gunned last night compared to my mate .22 .

People often ask if fac air can compete with .22lr ,when trying to make a desicion what to go for ..

And also remember your feo is more likey to grant air over rf .on a tricky perm 

I totally agree with you Stu. I have an FX Impact .25 and an Anschutz 1417 .22 rimfire and to be very honest they both produce the same result with similar range capability and fps. The only advantage the rimmy has is a 40gr slug compared to 25gr of the pellet I use so the rimmy is used in windy conditions.

The Impact is my go to gun without question.

Phil

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

You can feed a .22lr with shorts or reduced power rounds and use it around barns or you can feed it hyper velocity and take game at 140 yards - where is the comparison in flexibility? 

In principal you're correct although neither reduced or hyper velocity rounds seem to be reliably accurate in most rimfires as the majority appear to mainly group well with sub sonics which they're primarily designed for.

You can change pellet weights and or turn the power down with many .25 pneumatics. 

Having owned a fully adjustable 8 to 40 footpound daystate airwolf i would say that the .22lr wins everytime

Reasons

A much lighter gun.so easy to carry

Cant run out of air so if you have 100 bullets you have 100 shots

You can use lower power bullets or shorts for short range sub 50 yards such as rws zlang which in a 14 inch anchutz barral only puts  out 32 foot lb

I no longer have an fac air rifle due to the above there is no need for one in my cupboard

I do have a .25 sub 12lb now that is the best barn ratting gun bar none

I have tried some Sellier & Bellot .22 shorts in my Anschutz 1417 ............................................. useless groups at 25mt although I would like to try some decent shorts.

As I said earlier, I have both the rimmy .22lr and FX Impact .25 fac and shoot just as many rabbits at the same range with the Impact as I do with the .22lr so where do I go from here. I have considered using HV ammo in the .22lr to get the range increased and then use the rimmy for longer shots or bite the bullet (so to speak, excuse the pun) and buy a .17hmr for better results at longer range.

I think I will get the fac variation for 17hmr then decide. I am sure I will love having all three.

Phil

On 18/04/2018 at 01:02, bruno22rf said:

You can feed a .22lr with shorts or reduced power rounds and use it around barns or you can feed it hyper velocity and take game at 140 yards - where is the comparison in flexibility? 

all the high velocity stuff i ever tried was carp. would not be trying shots at 140. subsonics are very accurate but drop off quickly. but with good range estimation and knowledge of drop they will get you out to good range

5 hours ago, zipdog said:

‘The best caliber is the one you can shoot most accurately with’ an experience and talented shot with an air rifle will beat a poor and unpractised shot with a 22 lr any day.  

Well. Yes. But if you give the talented air rifle shot the .22 lr he'll do even better!

• 4 weeks later...