.25 cal = .22lr ?

Ultrastu

At the muzzle .possibly .? Depending on the fac air of course . (Mine has a 600 mm barrel and a mod. So not that loud .) On impact :- well they sound similar  depends on the quarry .

Rather irrelevant  what they sound like really .as they are both quiet enough  to not alert people .but can both clear skittish bunnies. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm on the fence with this. My R10 (28lbs) is louder at the muzzle but the impact is not so loud (18Gn vs 40Gn). The trouble is my sub-12 Scorpion is good out to 65 yards (no wind). The R10 needs to be good out to 80 yards but it isn't (esp in the wind), but the 22LR has no problems out to 130 yards in all weather. So at the moment my R10 is struggling to justify its place in the cabinet.

For long range  fac air a .25 cal is best. I like mine out to 90 yds. 

My .22 to around 75 

And the .17 fac 65 yds .

These are realistic ranges. 

took a nice rabbit at 61 yds last night with my .177 fac scorpion .

And a rabbit at 70 yds on nv .with my .25 cal .both nice clean shots. 

Took out the R10 yesterday instead of the 22LR. One great headshot at 60y but all other kills at closer ranges. Definitely the safer of the two, particularly near buildings, but some rabbits are still out there which I could have taken with the 22. Although my R10 has been dropped to 21lbs (uses 16gn .22) so nowhere near the range/capability of a 35lb+ .25.

I'm starting to think I'll need to carry 2 rifles around ?

I dont think thats too shabby for an airgun at 100yds. ?

Ps i get 60 shots at 44 fpe from my wildcat 

So hardly a problem hunting with it all day .

Ps every one of those shots would have dropped a rabbit with a chest shot 

IMG_20180603_140143.jpg

I put a few clicks to the right for the next group .but didnt photo it 

12 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Very nice, Ultra. But I refuse to give the Swedish elves my money. Those that do, definitely have a 22lr equivalent. My R10 is more like a gap wedge.

Does it count if you buy one second hand, so the elves don't get your money?

Are you a dwarf by the way ? 

Second hand....?

These Swedes sit in their glass, high tech offices with all their clever 3D software designing very clever rifles. But none of them ever go in the field, so their rifles are very high tech but not built with the field in mind. Plus their political correctness is so stifling. I refuse to support their economy. And that includes IKEA !

FX IMPACT .25 fac

First Photo shows a 90 yard 12 pellet  group outside in about 8 mile wind with one pulled shot ,just over two mill dots on the Hawke  Airmax scope 

The other photo shows what damage it does on the other side of a 22 mm chipboard target board 

It will not let me upload another photo 

IMG_1575.JPG

Edited by villaman

Well from my 50 yd zero .the drop at 100 yds is 13.6 inch. 

Has to be said this seems to be the absolute max range for this cal and gun .80 yds and the pellets can be stacked on top of each other. 90 yds and im still getting a good inch group .in still air .but 100 yds is when things just start to fall apart. And i takes a lot of skill and luck to put together a good group .

Ps the drop on a .22 lr sub with a 60 yd zero at 100 yds is 6 inches. So if you aim at the tips of the ears you would be lucky to hit his chest and ceratinly not his head. 

On 17/04/2018 at 14:41, Ultrastu said:

Its often the lower velocity rounds that bounce the most .as there just isnt enough speed to deform the projectile on impact .

So a .30 cal 50 grn pellet at say 900 fps could be as bad or worse than even a .22 lr .

Heavy and slow equals richocet and pass through 

If you ever threw 'ducky stones' as a kid you will know that if you throw them too hard they will dig in and not bounce. The most bounces almost always came with a long delicate low powered throw. Same with the 22rf . I have had more ricos with sub sonics than any other round and sometimes on seriously wet ground but it probably caught a piece of stone.

You can NEVER say NEVER.   

34 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Well from my 50 yd zero .the drop at 100 yds is 13.6 inch. 

Has to be said this seems to be the absolute max range for this cal and gun .80 yds and the pellets can be stacked on top of each other. 90 yds and im still getting a good inch group .in still air .but 100 yds is when things just start to fall apart. And i takes a lot of skill and luck to put together a good group .

Ps the drop on a .22 lr sub with a 60 yd zero at 100 yds is 6 inches. So if you aim at the tips of the ears you would be lucky to hit his chest and ceratinly not his head. 

I always thought it was 5 inches but you could be right. And yes its always  boiler room shots for me. Iam not good enough for head shots and leave those to the experts.