Cautionary tale

I'm sure I'm not alone but it's worth mentioning if only for the giggles. 

I recently went decoying and upon arrival at my mates I picked up my battery and put into in my decoy bag, on top of the rest of my gear.  We arrived at the farm some 5 minutes later. We opened the van to met by the stink of burning plastic. 

My battery had connected with my flask and was arcing. It melted the plastic lid inside the flask, welded 1 of the terminals to the flask, melted the battery out of shape and was busy heating up my cartridge bag. 

Yes yes silly me for putting it there but honestly I never thought to worry, least not as I've done it maybe a hundred times. It shall go in its own bag from now on. 

It happened to me as well , not my flask but my dogs drinking bowl , all my gear was on the back seat and the dogs bowl went in last , driving back down the lane the bowl must have rocked about and ended up on the terminals , the first I knew was the smell and a bit of crackling , the only damage was the bowl had Black and different colour stains and the battery terminal had partly melted ,maybe I should had used a plastic one, but after the advent even a fool is wise.:lol:

Similar, but one of my batteries was on the bench in my shed and I inadvertently dropped a bundle of fine wire wool which arced across the terminals and caught fire and consequently was very hard to put out. Never thought of it before, but now very wary. 

OB

I bought a woman's 'make up' oval shaped case thing for 50p at a car boot. It is a rigid case with a carrying handle on the lid. I leave my 2 spare 12 amp/hr batteries in this case and even charge them in it, that avoids any accidents with anything metallic, either in storage or transit. It also has space for a small tool kit, fuses, connectors, screwdriver and insulation tape.  It even has a mirror inside the lid, which some of my shooting buddies have found useful  !  :hmm:

Edited by Westley

• 2 weeks later...